Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2015, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a Ram 1500 with the air suspension today. I was very impressed with the ride. I was going to look at the Denali but this whole experience has turned me off of GM for good.
Old June 9th, 2015, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

I too now have a cracked dash, both appeared overnight. One a little off center to the left of the steering wheel and the other at the thin part of the passenger air bag. Just wanted to add mine to the thousands of other owners with same problem So when Chevy decides to be honorable with help to fix it. (Unlikely). Somewhere I saw a petition for people to sign but don't know how legitimate it is.
Old June 19th, 2015, 7:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I hate to tell you guys this but any plastic based dash is eventually going to crack on any make and model of vehicle you purchase. Just Google search for any manufacturer and cracked dash and you'll see everything from Lexus to Chevy to Ford to Chrysler.

My 2007 Suburban LTZ has only 1 crack and it's because I placed lumber on it. It has over 200,000 miles and has always been parked outside in the sun.
The ABS dash in my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 didn't have a single crack in it until last year when it finally started to crack all over.
Old June 20th, 2015, 6:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got vehicles that are 30 yrs old with no dash cracks, so plastic works just fine for dashes. But you are right, other manufacturers also build sh!tty cars ...which doesnt make this right.

Can you name me other $50K + vehicle with a cracking dash, where the manufacturer turns a complete blind eye to the customer ?
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to agree that this dash is cheaply made. No doubt about that. It's just a thin layer of plastic of some type. ABS or PVC or a mixture. With no backer to hold it together, you're going to notice the cracks immediately. If these were manufactured in layers with say a polyurethane center and some type of backer, even if it did crack, there would be something holding it together. That's why older dashboards aren't falling apart in pieces.

The same thing that just started happening with the dash in my 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 will start happening to our Tahoes and Suburbans. They will eventually start falling apart in pieces.

I'm almost tempted to take mine out, make a MEK/ABS slurry and bonding fiberglass to the back.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 Lexus that I paid less for than my Suburban and dash looks better than 07 Suburban.
Originally Posted by gruvenparts.com
Ive got vehicles that are 30 yrs old with no dash cracks, so plastic works just fine for dashes. But you are right, other manufacturers also build sh!tty cars ...which doesnt make this right.

Can you name me other $50K + vehicle with a cracking dash, where the manufacturer turns a complete blind eye to the customer ?
Old June 22nd, 2015, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default cracked again

I have a 2007 Z71 suburban with 151,000 miles. I wasn't going to read through all the pages but I believe I did post on this thread a year or two ago when I had my dash replaced by GM.

They didn't help pay for the collapsed lifters I had to have fixed for $4,000 but they did give me a new dash. Well the "new" dash has a crack in it now, driver's side back of the "cluster hump" to the right. And the wonderful part is that the crack in this new remodeled dash is worse than the crack in my original dash. It is a Y shape and the dash gets a rattle every once in a while too.

Now the question is when I take the truck in to have the other classic oil pan leak fixed, do I try to have the dash replaced a second time and hope third time is a charm or just live with it.

I just traded in a 2005 Avalanche with 150,000 miles on it and Zero cracks in dash and zero mechanical problems. I know they are different designs but just stating that that whole 2005 truck had either a better design or better quality than the 2007 trucks.

Last edited by bml325; June 22nd, 2015 at 3:32 PM.
Old June 24th, 2015, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe dash

Experiencing the same, noticed it at about 50,000 miles, just took it in today, when I seen the posts.. Doesn't look like they will do anything because of 180.000 miles, I sure wish I would have known sooner, but I will keep up to date on possible lawsuit for sure!
Originally Posted by billy76
This is my case information.

Case # 71-906474240
Vehicle Info -2007 Chevy Tahoe LS
Miles - 48,800 (45,000 when the crack appeared.)
Original Owner- Yes
Interior - Gray
GM Customer service rep - Dwight, and now a girl named Jessica, who hasn't called me back, and has a full voicemail box.
Dealership I'm working with:
Maroone Chevrolet
1300 North Federal Highway
Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Assistant Service Manager: Brian Crystall

Dealership says they were called by GM and told they were not covering it, and would leave it up to the dealership as to whether I could have it replaced at a discounted rate.

Brian called me today.

The cost....$455.00 + taxes and shop fees.

He said the total would be close to $500. I told him that's not good enough and that I would take it up with GM.

I am determined to get this to recall status. Not only for me, but for everyone involved, including those who have already paid to have this repaired.

This is not right. The dealership that I mentioned above has used 2008 Tahoes for sale on it's lot with the same dashboard crack.

I will continue to update the status of this ridiculous, soon to be recall situation going forward.

I urge everyone to share their case information as I did above. That way we can use it as leverage when we call GM.
Old June 25th, 2015, 6:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update, well after being a loyal gm owner. I nowxam a loyal Honda owner.

[QUOTE=Lmcguyer7257;304283]Experiencing the same, noticed it at about 50,000 miles, just took it in today, when I saw the posts.. Doesn't look like they will do anything because of 180.000 miles, I sure wish I would have known sooner, but I will keep up to date on possible lawsuit for sure![/QUOTE

I finally have had it with GM. I have asked nicely, I have asked meanly and I have demanded they fix my dash. They think it is funny. Well the joke is on them. My family drove nothing but gm vehicles. We have all [23 of us] switched to Honda vehicles. We had 15 Tahoes, now we have Piolots and cocould not be happier. If there is an issue, The honda dealership addresses it. Good by GM. Hope you see this and realize, one family can all switch because of one issue, that can cost you almost $900,000.00 in vehicles. Good luck and good ridden too you. But I am still on the class action suite, the safety of my love ones is why I sold my tahoe, and that is still grounds!

Last edited by sops27; January 29th, 2016 at 5:57 AM.
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sops27
I finally have had it with GM. I have asked nicely, I have asked meanly and I have demanded they fix my dash. They think it is funny. Well thre joke is on them. My family drove nothing butvgm vehicles. We have all [23 of us] switched to Honda vehicles. We had 15 Tahoes, now we have Piolots and cocould not be happier. Ithere is an issue, The honda dealership addresses it. Good by GM. Hope you see this and realize, one family can all switch because of one issue, that can cost you almost $900,000.00 in vehicles. Good luck and good ridden too you.
We regret to learn you and your family traded your GM vehicles for another manufacturer, sops27. General Motors relies heavily on customer loyalty and we're sorry we were unable to resolve this to your satisfaction. We hope to one day win your loyalty and trust again.

All the best,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????