Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe No Crank

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2011, 5:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe No Crank

Engine does not crank over at all. The battery is fully charged, headlights are bright, locks don't work, interior lights don't work, radio works, AC panel works, battery gauge on dash shows no voltage.

The run/crank relay is engaged and I have power on the run/crank bus.

Starter relay is not receiving signal to close/start when key is turned to start position.

When I turn the ignition key to the on/run position, the following messages are displayed:
Traction Control Off
Stabilitrac Off
Service 4 wheel drive.
If I put the truck in gear, there's no line under the gear position (PRND321) to indicate which gear it's in.

The drive train relay is on.

I'm sure one of the computers (ECM/BCM...)is probably not receiving one of the signals it needs from somewhere (possibly tranny) telling it not to let the truck start.

I know the starter is working because i jumped the relay and cranked the engine over - of course it would not start.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Richard
Old October 17th, 2011, 6:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

easiest thing i would do first is to hook up the tech 2 or any good scanner and pull the codes out of the engine tranny and chassis body or anywhere there are codes. sounds like a bcm issue to me. may need to be reprogrammed. are you out of warranty
Old October 18th, 2011, 1:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Rnorman4,
I apologize for your frustrations. Is the vehicle still under the warranty? If you are not sure you can send me your VIN number and I can look it up for you. I would recommend talking to the dealer. They will be able to diagnose/repair the issue for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 18th, 2011, 2:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

How about a quikie try. Shift it to nuetral, see if it cranks or anything else changes.
Old October 18th, 2011, 2:37 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you checked the Megafuse on the firewall...?
Old October 19th, 2011, 5:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Tried several more things.

I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and reconnect, same issue. I tried the shifter to all gears, but did not try to start it while in 'N', however there's no line under the gear position PRND321. I have a $200 ODBII scanner but there are no DTC's in the truck. In any case I had it towed to Hickman Chevrolet Kenmount Road Newfoundland Canada yesterday evening. I'm sure they'll hook up their analizer and probably find the problem instantly (and probably already know what the problem is before hooking it up)! We'll see how much the charge is for this repair - hopefully warranty, but the warranty's going to be up in December-2011, after that...not good. I'll let you know what they find, if they tell me.
Richard
Old October 19th, 2011, 7:55 AM
CF Monarch

See post #4
Old October 19th, 2011, 5:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Verdict From Dealer...at least $1000

As suspected, a $1000+ repair. It took the technician 3 hours at $115/hour to find that the BCM (body control module) was not communicating with the rest of the truck - so they say. The BCM is $400, and they'll tack on another hour or so to put it in + tax on all that, at least a grand. What a s*%t show. I told the dealer that it's rediculous to charge almost $400 just to find the problem, he agreed, and asked would I be paying by cash or credit. The new BCM is not in stock until tomorrow, I'll go get it then and pay the final bill/face the music. I have a power train warranty on this 2007 Tahoe with 136,000kms, but apparently it doesn't cover this BCM. I can only hope the BCM is the actual problem... I'll let you know the final damages on this...
Old October 19th, 2011, 6:35 PM
CF Monarch

I'd think 1 hour shop time would be fair, plus time to install the new one.
Old October 25th, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Got truck back...

The bill says: U0140 code set, no comms with BCM. I attached the technicians troubleshooting etc... if anyone's interested.

I plugged in my small tester before bringing the Hoe to the garage (innova 3100) and it didn't show any DTC's in the computer. Is this normal? Should that little scanner pickup that code?

I got the truck back (they tried to charge me $1300 but I threw a fit like a b**ch and told them I was going to loose it on the service manager when I came in so they knocked off several hours of service and dropped the price of the new BCM back to $380 so I got charged $730 which is still wayyy too much in my opinion). Apparently it took over 3 hours just to find the problem, and I'm not sure how many more to fix it, even though the U0140 code is stated on the receipt.

In any case I just bought a used Pontiac Vibe today in case the Hoe decides to die again for no reason. Got the vibe cheap because it's badged GM, but I understand most of the guts are Toyota thankfully, (which is the angle the sales guy was using to get the most $$ for it).
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Tahoe No Crank-2011-10-23-bcm-repair-zoom.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe No Crank