Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe randomly locks

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 4:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Tahoe randomly locks

ok my wife called in yesterday stating that the truck locked "on its own" when she pulled into the garage and went inside. She sat the keys on the armrest and did not hit the lock button on the door. Not only did it lock she heard the honk so like it locked twice or something with the security system.
well today she called and said that she started the truck with the remote (hot as he!! here) then pushed unlock to get inside. She got in the driver seat and w/o doing anything else (keys still in her hand) the truck locked with her drivers side door open and the truck running...
I am thinking just unhook the battery for now and see if that helps clear some random memory or something
Old August 10th, 2011, 5:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very weird indeed! Unfortunately, it could be anything...

Anywho, starting with a battery disconect is a good idea. Sometimes that will help clear up any small issues. After reading about your issue, I went looking through the manual and came across this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delayed Locking
When locking the doors with the power lock switch or the remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitter and a door or the liftgate is open, the doors will lock five seconds after the last door is closed. You will hear three chimes to signal that the delayed locking feature is in use. Pressing the power lock switch or the lock button on the RKE transmitter twice will override the delayed locking feature and immediately lock all the doors. This feature will not operate if the key is in the ignition.

You can program this feature using the Driver
Information Center (DIC). See DELAY DOOR
LOCK under DIC Vehicle Customization
(With DIC Buttons) on page 275.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whether that has anything to do with your issue at hand I do not know. Reading the first part of your post I would think so, but then you mentioned it locked with the car on, and the door open She didn't shift out of park at that very moment right?

I really do not know, and I probably just confused you more, instead of offering a solution Either way, I am subscribing to this thread so I can see if you come across anything (just in case I have to deal with this myself). Good luck!!

Last edited by ChevyFreak; August 10th, 2011 at 5:46 PM.
Old August 11th, 2011, 2:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ousig2408,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Have you disconnected your vehicles battery? Did it work? Also, have you tried changing out the battery in your key fob?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old August 12th, 2011, 7:38 AM
CF Senior Member

ya I unhooked the battery and so far so good - honesly there may be some operator error also, I am not sure
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Official GM Rep

ousig2408,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you’re not experiencing the issue. Operator error sounds like something my fiancé would say whenever I experience an issue with my car! If you have any other questions, just let me know! I’m happy to help.

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old August 13th, 2011, 9:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i have had this happen on my tahoe on many occasions. it happened today but by chance i have trained myself to always have my keys with me and not in the car when im not in it. i have had to call onstar sevral times to unlock my truck and its annoying i dont know how to fix it. i will be walking away from the truck keys in hand and hear HONK and lights flash truck is locked. maby will happen once a week.
Old August 15th, 2011, 7:42 AM
CF Senior Member

since it is not my DD I do not know exactly what is going in each situation but this Saturday AM I went out to the garage and sure enough it was locked again...We have our spare key in the house but now she is always taking her keys inside.
So I don't know what is up at this point
Old August 15th, 2011, 2:31 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by badOHtenTAHOE
i have had this happen on my tahoe on many occasions. it happened today but by chance i have trained myself to always have my keys with me and not in the car when im not in it. i have had to call onstar sevral times to unlock my truck and its annoying i dont know how to fix it. i will be walking away from the truck keys in hand and hear HONK and lights flash truck is locked. maby will happen once a week.
I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more information. I can also look into this with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Old August 16th, 2011, 9:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering what you would be able to figure out about that issue just by the vin number. And the reason I don't bring it to the dealer for the problem is because they probably would not be able to duplicat the problem as always and it does not happen often enough so I would be wasting my time . Thanks for your concern
Old August 17th, 2011, 9:22 AM
CF Senior Member

I agree - not like we all have time to run to the dealer for every little thing...just will probably by another remote and hide it somewhere under the truck just in case.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe randomly locks