Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe won't start, gear select shows no reference underscore

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2019, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe won't start, gear select shows no reference underscore

Car was parked after driving one night and after sitting for a couple of days, the battery was dead. Not sure how or why, but after replacing the battery the car still won't start. Thought it may have been the starter, so that too was replaced and also swapped out the relay with no luck. Checked the codes and nothing came up there either. All lights come on, but one thing I noticed was the gear select does not have an underscore for the gear it is in. Tried moving it to reverse, drive, neutral, etc., and nothing. Guessing maybe the car doesn't know which gear it's in so that's why it won't start?

Is there anything anyone has seen or deal with where this happened all of a sudden? Is there anything I can try or test? Possibly reset something that may have been lost with a dead battery? We had replaced the battery before and did not have any problems like this or have to do anything.

Thanks in advance!
Old April 25th, 2019, 6:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

There is a neutral safety switch which should "close" to pass voltage when transmission is in park or neutral.

Originally Posted by Jon Trotter
Thought it may have been the starter, so that too was replaced and also swapped out the relay with no luck.
You changed those without testing them first?

Old April 25th, 2019, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Man I replied a REALLY long explanation that just disappeared. Long story short, this is my son's vehicle and it was after hours before we got to him since he's out of town. Took spare parts to swap out, no way to test them since everywhere was closed. Will check the switch and report back. Any other potential solutions are welcome. Thanks again!!!
Old April 25th, 2019, 6:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cusser is on the right track. It's either a neutral safety switch or a transmission range sensor. Had a '10 Journey SXT that in rare instances would not start. Would just get a short click. Found that if the gear lever was moved to neutral, it would then start. You could then start it in Park until it acted up again. If the display isn't indicating what gear it is in I would suspect a neutral safety switch or transmission range sensor. Since the computer can't tell what gear it is in, it won't let it crank.
Old April 25th, 2019, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

That makes me feel better. Hopefully that is the issue. Thanks again!
Old April 25th, 2019, 7:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

range sensor would cause a no crank...is it a crank no start or no crank
Old April 26th, 2019, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
range sensor would cause a no crank...is it a crank no start or no crank
It's a no crank issue.

Tried swapping the neutral sensor with no luck. I can hear everything power on, relays working and what not. Wondering if the computer lost the program or possibly the trans computer? Not looking forward to taking it to the dealer.
Old April 27th, 2019, 8:02 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Take it to an independent ASE certified shop
Old April 27th, 2019, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah that's my next move. Hopefully it's not an expensive fix.
Old August 28th, 2019, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck on what the issue was? I am having almost the same issue with my Tahoe.
I have a 07 Chevy Tahoe and my wife drove it a few hours prior to this happening. When she went to leave again she went to start the truck and the truck started but then cut off. She went to try and start it again and it would not start. All I get when i turn the ignition is a slight delay where nothing on the dash shows except the check engine light for approx 7 seconds. Then all the dash indicators lights come on and the display reads, Service Stabilitrak, Service 4 Wheel Drive, Service Air Bag. After looking throughout the internet I come down to checking every single fuse and found none blown. I read several posts that had the same symptoms and they said it was the BCM. So I located a website that i could purchase a new BCM and they would pre-program it for me according to my vin number. Ordered the new BCM and it arrived today. I changed out the BCM and STILL having the same issue!!! Please someone help before i pull my hair out.
The following users liked this post:
Ron Fillers (April 21st, 2021)