Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe won't start, gear select shows no reference underscore

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2019, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my gosh, meant to update this. Yes, turns out the body control module (BCM) went bad. My son was having these issues with his truck, so he failed to tell me wipers didn't work, locks, radio, etc., etc., etc. Once I knew this, I took it to a friend who owns a car lot and had his guy check things. After diagnosis and swapping one from another Tahoe same year, car fired right up and we drove it to the Chevy dealer. The BCM was $240 his price and then they wanted like $400 to program it. Took it to another shop that does it, paid $130. All in at $370 and it was back on the road. Not much you can do other than get one from a yard, but it will most likely need to be programmed regardless of what year it came out of. Kinda dumb, but I'm sure it allows for flexibility and simplicity of production for that item. Just frustrated that the dealer wanted $400 to do something that is done in a matter of 30 minutes, but there was an alternative.

Sounds like you got further than I did on the web, but if you have not programmed it, it won't just work. It will still have to be programmed. The new one we got was the same way, but not pre-programmed.
Old April 16th, 2021, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Scott A Smith
Any luck on what the issue was? I am having almost the same issue with my Tahoe.
I have a 07 Chevy Tahoe and my wife drove it a few hours prior to this happening. When she went to leave again she went to start the truck and the truck started but then cut off. She went to try and start it again and it would not start. All I get when i turn the ignition is a slight delay where nothing on the dash shows except the check engine light for approx 7 seconds. Then all the dash indicators lights come on and the display reads, Service Stabilitrak, Service 4 Wheel Drive, Service Air Bag. After looking throughout the internet I come down to checking every single fuse and found none blown. I read several posts that had the same symptoms and they said it was the BCM. So I located a website that i could purchase a new BCM and they would pre-program it for me according to my vin number. Ordered the new BCM and it arrived today. I changed out the BCM and STILL having the same issue!!! Please someone help before i pull my hair out.
Hey Scott
What was the problem with your Tahoe? Mine is doing the same thing. Thanks
Old April 21st, 2021, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Did you fix your tahoe mine is doing the same thing? Thanks Ron