Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Chevy Tahoe Steering Wheel Noise Issue

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2012, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Chevy Tahoe Steering Wheel Noise Issue

Hello,
I am having a very frustrating issue with my steering system. When I drive for a good bit and turn my steering wheel it is making a grinding noise. The noise is also happening when I am parked as well. If my truck has been sitting around for a couple of hours the issue does not happen until I drive for more than 5-10 mins. I have checked my steering fluid and its up to spec. Whenever I turn there is no vibration in the steering wheel and there is no wear on my tires either. I took it to the shop and they were not able to recreate issue.

I was wondering if it could be an issue with tie rod ends/ball joints wearing or my steering wheel pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2008 Tahoe LS
4.8 Engine 2WD
Factory 20's
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:35 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dan75211,

It may be an issue with the power steering pump. It may need to be flushed or replaced. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Has anyone ever had a complaint about the steering column having an issue? Is there a bearing or shim that goes bad?
Old April 26th, 2012, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

I just talked to a service center and they said that it is most likely the Intermediate Steering Shaft. The bearings are probably bad. Louis do you think that could be a possibility?
Old April 26th, 2012, 2:48 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The're probably not bad but just dry...I'd be my guess that they replace the shaft with a upgraded one if that is indeed the problem...
Search the forum for the intermediate shaft and there are several threads on the subject...
The following users liked this post:
Jen Marie (April 26th, 2021)
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:22 PM
CF Veteran

new to me...never heard of an intermediate shaft grind all I've ran into is clunks
Old April 27th, 2012, 7:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dan75211,

I suppose it's possible the steering column seal needs to be replaced. Sometimes it can be difficult to diagnose problems by description alone. The fact that this is an intermittent issue has me puzzled. I suggest having your tech take a look.

Keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 1st, 2012, 2:07 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure the NBS even has an intermediate shaft like the previous model did.
Old July 20th, 2012, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dan75211
Hello,
I am having a very frustrating issue with my steering system. When I drive for a good bit and turn my steering wheel it is making a grinding noise. The noise is also happening when I am parked as well. If my truck has been sitting around for a couple of hours the issue does not happen until I drive for more than 5-10 mins. I have checked my steering fluid and its up to spec. Whenever I turn there is no vibration in the steering wheel and there is no wear on my tires either. I took it to the shop and they were not able to recreate issue.

I was wondering if it could be an issue with tie rod ends/ball joints wearing or my steering wheel pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2008 Tahoe LS
4.8 Engine 2WD
Factory 20's
I got the same issue
It is exactly as you discribe it.
It drives me nuts.
Any ideas how to fix this
Old July 20th, 2012, 8:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Not sure the NBS even has an intermediate shaft like the previous model did.
Oh, it does. And the one in my '07 grinds at times, clunks at others. This is another problem that GM is well aware of--I think there's a TSB on it--and it's common in a number of models over a number of years. But if you're out of warranty, the cost is on you. The estimate on mine was $350, but my extended warranty should cover all but $100 (the part itself is about $60 from gmpartsonline.com). The current version supposedly uses teflon and never needs grease--but I've seen reports of problems with that one as well.

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL (Wife's)
1998 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)
1995 Mercedes Benz C280 (Daughter's)

2007 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 3LT (MINE)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine (awaiting restoration) <!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

Quick Reply: 2008 Chevy Tahoe Steering Wheel Noise Issue