Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban Autoride

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban Autoride

I am new to the forum. I have a 2008 Suburban and I am starting to have issues with the autoride. The rear of my Suburban is not sitting as high as it normally does. It does not return to the previous location when I have my utility trailer on the back, or luggage in the rear. I think there is a leak somewhere. When under-load (with my utility trailer or luggage) the pump comes on and runs consistently for about 60 seconds every time I start the truck (even if I start, wait 60 for the compressor to stop and then restart) and the rear does not seem to move. If I have nothing on the rear the pump still comes on every time I start the truck but only for about 5 – 10 seconds and stops. The 60 seconds seems suspicious. Does the system have a “Fail-Safe” max limit that the compressor can run for (60 seconds?) regardless if it reaches the configured height?
I took it to the dealer and they told me, “no code; no problem”…. I know it has no code currently being displayed. I am looking for some information about the system. I put soapy water on the shocks etc. but did not see any bubbles.
Is there a recommended / minimum height the suspension should be set at that they can measure against to make sure the system is working properly? Is there a calibration that can be done to the autoride system?

Any information is welcomed.
Old May 30th, 2012, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Yep, that sound perfectly similar to what happened to mine. Your pump is going or there is likely a leak in the system somewhere.

Not sure what you can do as I'm not sure what I'd have done if I'd known beforehand. Fwiw...my pump is not working but I haven't replaced it. When I do anything I'll just swap out the air shocks for gas and throw the pump away. Too dang expensive to fix a piece of crap design that won't last 5 years.
Old May 30th, 2012, 8:26 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 08_Suburban,

I would like to look into this further for you. Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN number, so I can check for additional information?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 30th, 2012, 9:08 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auto Ride Failures

"GM Autoride Failure" has over 500,000 hits on google.

someone needs to class action their asses.
Old May 30th, 2012, 7:02 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Ford Sync issues has over 266,000 hits on Google.

Class action needed here?
Old May 31st, 2012, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
08_Suburban,

I would like to look into this further for you. Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN number, so I can check for additional information?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Louis,
The last 8 are: 8J194684. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 31st, 2012, 7:41 AM
CF Addict

Default maybe

possibly, but Ford has released a massive FREE update to the sync / my ford touch...

in direct response to the issues identified by customers.

GM isn't giving away air compressors...

Speaking of Ford... I've been watching Fringe now.. they are really showing off that My Ford Touch in that show... really makes me want one, but I want it in the expedition, which I think will be new in 2013 or 14...
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
"GM Autoride Failure" has over 500,000 hits on google.

someone needs to class action their asses.
"Toyota Fire" has 187,000,000 hits. Maybe you should buy one.
Old June 1st, 2012, 7:08 AM
CF Addict

Default fire

fire is too vague of a term.

i wish my GM burst into flames, then I could justify replacing it.
Old June 1st, 2012, 2:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 08_Suburban,

Thank you for providing the last 8-digits of your VIN.

The auto level only assists the rear when there is a load added to the vehicle, meaning with no load, the coil springs keep the rear at normal ride height.

As weight is added to the rear of the vehicle, the position sensors change. When the ESCM (the suspension module) detects a steady substantial change (approximately 20 mm in ride height) in the position sensor for at least 10 seconds, it responds by commanding ON the compressor causing the air pressure in the shock air bag chambers to increase. This inflation raises the rear of the vehicle to regain the desired suspension position. The ESCM limits the amount of compressor run time to 255 seconds to protect the compressor components from damage, or if a max pressure limit is reached. When weight is removed from the vehicle, the ESCM responds by commanding ON the exhaust valve causing the air pressure in the shock air bag chambers to deflate. This deflation lowers the vehicle to regain the desired suspension position. At each ignition key cycle the ESCM checks for a minimum system pressure of approximately 10 psi. This minimum pressure is only used to hold the air bags slightly inflated to prevent damage to the air bags. If the pressure is below the minimum it will run the compressor for a few seconds to add a slight amount of air.

A Scan Tool can be used to monitor the system pressure to see if the system is building pressure, which would indicator the compressor, lines, fitting, air bags are holding pressure. Or with a load in the truck and after the system cycles to level the truck, the air bags can be felt to see if they are hard or soft. If soft then no air pressure is in the system.

- When checking for a leak if there is NO air pressure in the system there will be no bubbles.

- There is a trim set recalibration that can be performed using a Scan Tool.

- Also, if too much weight is added to the rear the system may not be able to bring the rear back up to normal ride height before the max pressure limit is reached.

I hope this information is helpful. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for further assistance.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2008 Suburban Autoride