Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Tahoe Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2010, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 Tahoe Electrical Problems

Seeking some advice here because one of the local dealers was unable to help me. Hopefully someone here may have some insight.

Last weekend, I was out on a country road driving with my brights on. When I pulled into the neighborhood, turned the brights off and started driving up a hill. All of a sudden, the dash lights went out, instantly cycled but came back like a Christmas tree. Also, the navigation screen restarted itself several times (showed the same screen which appears when first starting the car).

Now, if that wasn't weird enough, I pulled back out onto the main road and kept turning my brights on and off due to oncoming traffic. I was able to get the navigation screen to continue to cycle, albeit not with 100% consistency, whenever the brights were cycled on/off.

Decided to bring it into a local dealer this morning to see if there were any codes that could be pulled. None. Nothing. Where can I start to look? The car is under warranty so was hoping they would have a better answer than "we can't replicate it".

On a possibly separate issue, when I first bought the car I noticed that when driving on highway wraparound offramps, I could get the stereo to cut out. This happened on several occasions. The only way to get the sound back was to cycle the engine.

Thanks a lot in advance -- any insight or help is appreciated.
Old March 19th, 2010, 8:10 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'd let them keep it 'til they could replicate it while you get a loaner. Tell 'em they'd better man up or you'll sick Barry on them since he's running the place now.
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Tahoe Electrical Problems

My 2008 Tahoe is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever find out what the problem was?? Mine does it when I turn my brights on at around 40mpg. Any help would be appreciated!
Old June 30th, 2011, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by soccerloser4u
My 2008 Tahoe is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever find out what the problem was?? Mine does it when I turn my brights on at around 40mpg. Any help would be appreciated!
Nope, and that scenario has never happened again to me. I did however have the stereo cut out again. Since it wasn't easily reproducible I ended up driving straight to the dealer to have a service advisor witness it. Sure enough after the car was restarted to the stereo came back on. They ended up putting an entirely new nav head unit in the car under warranty and the problem has so far never came back. Car has 45K on it now.