Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 tahoe electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2012, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 tahoe electrical problems?

Hi everyone...I am new to the site here and i hope this is the right place for this...i have looked around and haven't really found anything that was what i was looking for...

So I have a 2008 tahoe and i have had it for almost a year...for a while now when i unlike the doors with the key fob most of the time it will unlock all the doors like it should but then there are other times that it unlocks 3 of the 4 doors...the back passenger door sometimes just does not unlock itself...any help?

Also the other day my wife and i did a long road trip at night and it was the first time i noticed that sometimes when i use the turn signal/ push brakes the headlights would really quickly turn off and back on in a split second...the same thing with the radio it would sometimes sound like it skips for a second and its the radio...and while driving out of the blue with nothing that would cause it the stabilitrak off like flashes for a few seconds and then goes off...in my 6 hour it went on about 10+ different times... my wife doesn't even want to drive it with our daughter because of so many issues...any help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance
Old February 29th, 2012, 7:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Tondojr9,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with your Tahoe vehicle. There are several possibilities, from a battery issue to a computer problem. Have you taken the vehicle in for these issues? Do these issues occur regularly or intermittently? Do any warning lights come on and/or stay on?

If you would like, PM me your VIN number, and I can check if there are any known issues available within my resources.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 29th, 2012, 8:13 PM
CF Veteran

first thing id check is battery/charging system a weak battery and/or alternator can cause lights to flicker and all sorts of other weird things, as far as the doors unlocking you may have an actuator failing/locking up
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Check your battery connection
Old March 1st, 2012, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

I have checked the battery connection/battery/alternator and everything is good...I don't think the lights are caused by any of those because it only happened when i used my signal or tapped on brakes and not every time.
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
CF Active Member

Bad battery or maybe the grounds or the cables. My battery and altenator checked good also, after cleaning all grounds and using a meter to test all cables for resistance, I installed a new battery and no more problems.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 11:10 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Last Chevy I buy ever

Our 2008 Tahoe LT is a demon posessed POS. We have replaced batteries, alternators, fuses, cables etc. no one at Chevy has ever fixed this. If they pretend to know, its a very expensive fix. Random warning messages flash a cross dash, engine stops with crazy messages then no problem for a month then it happens at random again. Error messages: "traction control off", "Engine power reduced" "turn engine off". "Low oil pressure". Lights burn out - look at any Chevy Tahoe, Suburban all have at least one burned out light. I own a company with a fleat of Chevys, my business partner talked me into - all crap! Same electrical problems a cross the board- my advice trade it in for anything but a Chevy or GM!
Old February 4th, 2016, 3:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jreits99
Our 2008 Tahoe LT is a demon posessed POS. We have replaced batteries, alternators, fuses, cables etc. no one at Chevy has ever fixed this. If they pretend to know, its a very expensive fix. Random warning messages flash a cross dash, engine stops with crazy messages then no problem for a month then it happens at random again. Error messages: "traction control off", "Engine power reduced" "turn engine off". "Low oil pressure". Lights burn out - look at any Chevy Tahoe, Suburban all have at least one burned out light. I own a company with a fleat of Chevys, my business partner talked me into - all crap! Same electrical problems a cross the board- my advice trade it in for anything but a Chevy or GM!
Hi Jreits99,

We can definitely understand how frustrating this may seem, and we truly apologize that these negative experiences has made you re-think our products. We rely heavily on our loyal customers, and take comments like this very seriously. If you should need the additional assistance, feel free to reach out to me in a private message. Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 1st, 2016, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default My 2007 fix

My 07 LTZ did the same thing. Inadvertently dimming lights, radio going off and on and yes, the infamous no electrical power at all out of the blue. I could give a slight wiggle to the positve cable and boom! It started with no problem. I changed the pos and neg cables and have not had the problem since. The old cables showed no corrosion but when removed they were very rigid and brittle. This is a common problem with these vehicles. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old October 14th, 2019, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jreits99
yes your right we bought a chevy tahoe 2008 and we own only TOYOTA'S , so this was our first chevy,,but I'm not one of those person that sticks to a certain make ... I buy what I like and I thought the tahoe would be good until it went possessed by Demomns.. it is a POS... damn lights , locks, speedometer, **** everything went crazy...once I started to look it up .. it was obvious I not the only one... and I've had more problems with the tahoe and nothing with my tacoma that is a 1999 with over 230000 miles and I use it at the deer lease.. my tundra is a 2010 and our rav4 is also a 2010 and we haven't had the crazy problems like the Tahoe... just don't understand why Chevy dosent fix the problem ...im trading ours to chevy .. we found a toyota 4runner on there lot ..ill given them back there POS ......

Quick Reply: 2008 tahoe electrical problems?