Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Tahoe hybrid white smoke at start up

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2019, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Tahoe hybrid white smoke at start up

Back in the end of November 2 of my lifters collapsed on my 08 hybrid.... I had it towed to Lunghamer (GM dealer) in Waterford MI and had them replace all the lifters, along with installing new plugs and new wires since they were in the engine anyway....cost over $5k

since it it started getting warmer here in Michigan I started to notice a little white smoke on start ups... paid no attention really at first... now it’s like every start up and heavier smoke... and it’s only on start ups...

can anyone advise what what the issue is? Did the dealer screw up something as it wasn’t doing this prior?

Oh and I’ve only put 10k on the engine since the repair at the dealer ...

any help or direction ion would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old May 7th, 2019, 5:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does that engine have the AFM system?
Old May 7th, 2019, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

AFM being active fuel management... yes
Old May 7th, 2019, 8:07 AM
CF Junior Member

How many miles on the engine total?
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

149k in relation to miles
Old May 7th, 2019, 1:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

What warranty did you get with the work?
Old May 7th, 2019, 9:10 PM
CF Junior Member

When my 09 started puffing smoke at startup I knew it had started burning oil. There’s no kidding yourself around it and I’m not saying you are, but I did. It got worse till it was burning a qt of oil every 500 miles. Soon your lifters will start “ticking” at startup, if they haven’t already, and then go away and you’ll hope it was nothing. After you change oil it will go away a while then it will start to come back. If you’re hoping the ticking will go away there is also something I learned; engines don’t fix themselves. Once the lifter damage is done it will only get worse.
Started doing research and then the AFM cat was out of the bag. 08-10 were the worst years I heard.
I read stories of guys sticking $4-6k into those stinking engines every 50-60k miles. Either pay all the labor to fix or replace the whole engine. My 09 had 53k on is all. Talk about a crappy design.
I sent mine down the road last year for a ‘17 Burban. Unfortunately they still have all this AFM crap but hopefully in a more dependable build. I drive mine in M5 so AFM is not kicking in and out while daily driving. I probably should have looked into an AFM delete on my old 09, but too late for that. Good luck with it, I think I know what’s happening with it but hopefully I’m wrong.