Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Tahoe transmission slipping out of gear

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2014, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Tahoe transmission slipping out of gear

Today I picked up a used 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with 52k miles on it. During the initial test drive all seemed fine so went ahead with purchase of vehicle. However, today I picked it up and drove about 1 hour to get home from dealer. Most of the hour was highway driving. Everything seemed fine. Got off highway and heading down road towards my home and had to stop for road construction. Standing still for several moments. As I began to slowly accelerate the transmission suddenly jumped out of gear almost as if stuck in neutral. I pressed the gas peddle further and the RPMs rev'd up and speedometer went to zero but the vehicle would not further accelerate. It was out of gear...again it was like it was in Neutral. It was still rolling from the initial acceleration but would not accelerate further. It seems like it jumped out of gear between 1st and 2nd gear or 2nd and 3rd gear. It resolved itself after a few moments and I was able to accelerate again.

It did this two more times over the next hour of driving it around. In all three cases it was after I had come to a brief stop, made turn to slight turn and began accelerating then suddenly it would come out of gear and would not accelerate with RPMs red lining and speedometer dropping to zero. The second and third time it happened I had to pull over...put the vehicle in park and put it back in gear to get it to work. In all cases minimally 10-15 seconds with no ability to accelerate. It doesn't do this all the time but three times over a 2 hour period is a problem. I am pretty convinced this is occurring during a gear change...1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd

It's a little scary to not be able to accelerate especially when you don't know when it's going to happen!

Three times within a two hour drive period is not acceptable as this vehicle is unsafe to drive. I have two small children driving in this vehicle with me.

Is this a known issue with Tahoes?
Likely cause / known defective components?
Similar experiences?

It's going back to dealer tomorrow...fortunately 60 day warranty but I want to go armed with some certain knowlege as a known issue or probable cause

Comments greatly appreciated.

Old July 30th, 2014, 8:29 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
sorry that your new to you purchase is giving you grief...
It could be low transmission fluid... check the fluid and see if its low and how its color looks....
Use your 60 warranty to its fullest, drive that truck as much as needed to find any kinks...
Old July 31st, 2014, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Tran fluid color and level look good
Old August 1st, 2014, 7:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just throwing it out there but maybe a tps..throttle position sensor going bad???
Old January 23rd, 2015, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Similar Transmission slips between 2-3

Originally Posted by trainwreck91
just throwing it out there but maybe a tps..throttle position sensor going bad???

Trainwreck01: I just had this same type of slipping start yesterday in my 2007 Tahoe. A few years ago we had Transmission issues where it went into Limp mode "POWER LIMITED" and turned off Traction Control all at the same time. The Dealer couldn't duplicate the problem so after reading some threads I focused on the Throttle body. I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning which subsided all our troubles. Anyway now (2 years later) we are having this Slip or failure to go into 3rd. Its not throwing any CEL or any warnings/indicators. I guess it can't hurt to give the Throttle Body and Mass Air Flow Sensor a good cleaning again. Thanks
Old March 31st, 2015, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 08 Tahoe LTZ it doesn't slip out of gear but there seems to be alot of vibration during acceleration..but once I get to the 70mph range it smooths out. Also if I turn the auto 4wd the issue seems to get better. When I switch it back to 2wd the issue is better but then slowly gets worse. Any ideas? Been re a ding alot about u joints is this an issue..just bought this in jan. and traded a trailblazer with many issues...Tahoe only has 65k miles on it...don't want it falling apart on me already.
Old September 4th, 2015, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by puffer
Today I picked up a used 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with 52k miles on it. During the initial test drive all seemed fine so went ahead with purchase of vehicle. However, today I picked it up and drove about 1 hour to get home from dealer. Most of the hour was highway driving. Everything seemed fine. Got off highway and heading down road towards my home and had to stop for road construction. Standing still for several moments. As I began to slowly accelerate the transmission suddenly jumped out of gear almost as if stuck in neutral. I pressed the gas peddle further and the RPMs rev'd up and speedometer went to zero but the vehicle would not further accelerate. It was out of gear...again it was like it was in Neutral. It was still rolling from the initial acceleration but would not accelerate further. It seems like it jumped out of gear between 1st and 2nd gear or 2nd and 3rd gear. It resolved itself after a few moments and I was able to accelerate again.

It did this two more times over the next hour of driving it around. In all three cases it was after I had come to a brief stop, made turn to slight turn and began accelerating then suddenly it would come out of gear and would not accelerate with RPMs red lining and speedometer dropping to zero. The second and third time it happened I had to pull over...put the vehicle in park and put it back in gear to get it to work. In all cases minimally 10-15 seconds with no ability to accelerate. It doesn't do this all the time but three times over a 2 hour period is a problem. I am pretty convinced this is occurring during a gear change...1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd

It's a little scary to not be able to accelerate especially when you don't know when it's going to happen!

Three times within a two hour drive period is not acceptable as this vehicle is unsafe to drive. I have two small children driving in this vehicle with me.

Is this a known issue with Tahoes?
Likely cause / known defective components?
Similar experiences?

It's going back to dealer tomorrow...fortunately 60 day warranty but I want to go armed with some certain knowlege as a known issue or probable cause

Comments greatly appreciated.

This exact same thing has been happening with our 2009 Chevy Tahoe. Have you figured out what was causing the problem?
Old September 4th, 2015, 11:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me once. I also noticed erratic shifting etc. (keep that in mind)

I usually do WOT once to clear the valves, remove carbon etc. When the above happened I went WOT and the transmission hung etc and shifted oddly etc. then it began to operate normally.

Leads me to believe that there was something internally clogged up, hanging open or closed and it wasn't until I did my lil WOT stint on the highway did it begin to start acting normally.....

Don't know if this helps but all is well for me.