Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Burnin' oil...

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2016, 1:44 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2009 Burnin' oil...

So I found the PDF of the TSB: #100601008G
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Xb86EI_hzDnm-Q

And what is now my wife's Tahoe... is burning oil.

Does a TSB mean the dealer has to fix this?

LONG time no post. Almost a year! Still driving and loving my Tesla, which has burned no oil, and had.. no oil changes lol.

But, as for the Tahoe, last change I reset the OLM, and at 40% remaining, changed the oil as I knew it was burning some.
Put 6 quarts IN, got LESS than 4 quarts out. (Not usually a good thing).

Did some research, and found this TSB.

So... will the dealership fix the problem that GM made, or am I just ordering parts here?

thanks.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; March 7th, 2016 at 1:46 PM.
Old March 7th, 2016, 2:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tsb

Well, I called the Stealership, and even though GM messed up, and has this nice little 8 page document on how, it's all at our cost to fix...

Anyone performed the steps in this TSB on their own? Is it cheaper to just keep adding oil?

She's putting a deposit on a Model 3 next month, but we still need something to tow with. So it will be driven less, soon...

12642655 = $51 bucks first place I hit on Google

That's about the only repair I'd really feel like doing myself. $51 would buy 7 quarts of synthetic, and let's say 5,000 between changes, or 3-4 a year, with towing so that's 2 years to recover costs, add shipping and time, just over 2-3 years.

Not worth the repair. Guess the environment takes another one for the GM team...
Old March 7th, 2016, 5:25 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Wondered where you've been. The only problem I could see with delaying the fix would be that the oil consumption will continue to get worse.
Old March 7th, 2016, 8:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its less than 1qt in 2,000 miles and not leaking its considered normal consumption.

I didn't look at the link but i'm assuming its the bulletin involving the carbon soak, AFM shield, valve cover and possible pistons? Most cases I've dealt with the valve cover takes care of the majority of it.
Old March 8th, 2016, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem with my 2007 Suburban. Started adding 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles at 110k. Now at 193k and am tired of buying oil and plugs. My dealer refuses to admit a problem with this engine, probably the GM line to avoid a recall.
Anyway, has anyone tried disconnecting the breather hose then add a breather/filter at the valve cover and capping the fitting on top the intake?
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

which plugs are fouling? and no that has nothing to do with GM it just sounds like your dealer is lazy or taking the easy way out. If #1 and #7 are the only or worst ones you need the updated valve cover.
Old March 9th, 2016, 6:40 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Well, I called the Stealership, and even though GM messed up, and has this nice little 8 page document on how, it's all at our cost to fix...

Anyone performed the steps in this TSB on their own? Is it cheaper to just keep adding oil?

She's putting a deposit on a Model 3 next month, but we still need something to tow with. So it will be driven less, soon...

12642655 = $51 bucks first place I hit on Google

That's about the only repair I'd really feel like doing myself. $51 would buy 7 quarts of synthetic, and let's say 5,000 between changes, or 3-4 a year, with towing so that's 2 years to recover costs, add shipping and time, just over 2-3 years.

Not worth the repair. Guess the environment takes another one for the GM team...
Since your use will drop in the near future, instead of spending the cash on the parts why not just have the dealer turn off AFM? I did mine over a year ago and oil consumption has basically stopped. I run Mobil 1 for 5k and have 227k on it now. Just a suggestion.
Old March 10th, 2016, 5:21 AM
CF Beginner

which plugs are fouling? and no that has nothing to do with GM it just sounds like your dealer is lazy or taking the easy way out. If #1 and #7 are the only or worst ones you need the updated valve cover.

Number 1 lasts about 10k, number 7 goes 15 - 20k. Oil consumption up to 1 qt. every 800 to 1k.

Last edited by Jim Lucier; March 10th, 2016 at 5:54 AM. Reason: reformat
Old March 10th, 2016, 6:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by magician
Since your use will drop in the near future, instead of spending the cash on the parts why not just have the dealer turn off AFM? I did mine over a year ago and oil consumption has basically stopped. I run Mobil 1 for 5k and have 227k on it now. Just a suggestion.
I didn't know the dealer could turn off AFM, how was it done?
Old March 10th, 2016, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

never heard of "turning off" afm, I know theres delete kits out but I don't think it can just be "turned off"