Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Tahoe Alarm Issues

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2020, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Tahoe Alarm Issues

I have a 2009 Tahoe and the alarm has begun to go haywire on me. It is a factory alarm. I bought the truck brand new in 2009. I have recently replaced the key fob. The issues with the alarm did not start happening for a while after I replaced the fob though.

The alarm started setting itself when i would exit the vehicle. It doesn't do it every time, it is sporadic. I simply get out of the truck, keys in hand and close the door. A few seconds later, the tell-tale chirp comes out of nowhere. This happens when I DO NOT lock the doors. And this past weekend, I experienced a truly strange event:

I was cleaning the interior. I had all 4 doors and the lift-gate wide open. The keys, along with the fob, were in the house, sitting undisturbed. The doors were unlocked. I closed the driver's door for 20 seconds; every other door was still open. I finished wiping the outside of the window, opened the door and the alarm went off. I had to go get the keys and turn the alarm off.

So, not only is the mystifying but I am a general auto tech and have no clue where to even begin with this one... maybe get a Catholic Priest? Any help would be appreciated.

Gene

PS: I realize the answer is going to be in some poorly soldered joint or sensor in a different part of the truck, but have no clue where to even begin looking,

Last edited by cotilloe; June 17th, 2020 at 8:19 AM. Reason: adding to it
Old June 20th, 2020, 8:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts

Key pads on GM fobs are notorious for issues. They sell replacement key pad kits cheap. Even though fob is new I would suspect it first, they just use carbon coated contacts on the pad contacts and that may be the source of the ghost setting the lock button.