Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Tahoe Features Missing

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2009, 7:18 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yea

I'd gladly pay $3,000 for a sync that fit my tahoe.

GM Bluetooth is not even half assed, it's quarter assed...

my phone (iphone 3gs) has the ability to push the contact NAME (if in phonebook) to the caller ID on the dash... but the tahoe doesn't know how to play nice with it.

Sometimes it shows the caller's phone #, sometimes nothing at all. on the web site they claim 100% operation w/the iphone... liars.

also your right, it should sync contacts and show me my address list on the screen and all sorts of other stuff the SYNC does. Had I tried a sync in person, I prolly would have got a F-150...
Old December 4th, 2009, 8:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I'd gladly pay $3,000 for a sync that fit my tahoe.

GM Bluetooth is not even half assed, it's quarter assed...

my phone (iphone 3gs) has the ability to push the contact NAME (if in phonebook) to the caller ID on the dash... but the tahoe doesn't know how to play nice with it.

Sometimes it shows the caller's phone #, sometimes nothing at all. on the web site they claim 100% operation w/the iphone... liars.
IIRC, that's an iPhone issue as caller id worked flawlessly with 2.x software. 3.x software introduced the intermittent caller id display. There are quite a few Bluetooth features that Apple hasn't implemented on the iPhone.

Address book syncing was just added to the iPhones in 3.x. The 2.x software didn't support it. My TomTom has a bunch of other bluetooth features that aren't supported by the iPhone... things like SMS send/receive & support for wireless traffic data.

Not every glitch is GMs fault.
Old December 4th, 2009, 9:02 AM
CF Addict

Default GM

I'm aware that it worked fine w/2.0 vs the 3.0; I had the original iphone as well.

The iphone update may not be GM's fault, but their lack of intrest in keeping up or at least fixing the intermittent issue is concerning.

Have you found a fix for the display w/iphone 3.0+? Showing the caller ID # is so 1990... I have no idea who's numbers are what... I have 200 some in my address book, show me the NAME... (ya know... like the SYNC does)
Old December 4th, 2009, 9:51 AM
CF Junior Member

No I haven't found a fix for it, I have an original iPhone with 3.1 software. If it's something that Apple actually broke via bug in their software (likely) it's not GMs responsibility to modify it's code to fix someone elses bug. Then if Apple does actually correct it's code it might break again.

Who knows where the issue is, but it worked and then it didn't after someone changed software, usually they are the ones to blame.

I'd suspect that SYNC is using it's locally stored address book database to display names instead of retrieving them over BT at the time of the call. I admit that the address book transfer would be nice - well if you have a NAV system. It wouldn't do much for me w/o one.

I think if you look you'll find people with SYNC issues as well. Admittedly it's a nice system but only because Ford partnered with Microsoft. I don't think they could of done as good of a job on their own. Now if only GM can partner with Apple we'd have a real battle on our hands. LOL
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM
CF Addict

Default iphone

if u could load the iphone O/S onto a car system, it would be damn near perfect.

APPS, GPS, web browser, etc, already 100% setup for touch interface.

they need firmware updates via internet downloads to CDs or some method other than the dealer...

heck, the GPS should bluetooth to my iphone and get free trafic online or live google maps... and if it was open source you could do that...

it should also wash my car for me, but that's a pipe dream...

ohh; and go buy the 3Gs, it is THAT much faster... 2x the CPU and RAM... and 3g... it's more $ a month, but there were no discounts on the original iphone plan, now there are on the 3gs, so $5/more a month and it's a much faster phone over all, the ringer is way louder, the new shape is more comfortable. and the GPS is slick...
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
CF Junior Member

iPhone OS in a car, that would be awesome!

ohh; and go buy the 3Gs, it is THAT much faster... 2x the CPU and RAM... and 3g... it's more $ a month, but there were no discounts on the original iphone plan, now there are on the 3gs, so $5/more a month and it's a much faster phone over all, the ringer is way louder, the new shape is more comfortable. and the GPS is slick...
Company phone. I've had it since Aug 2007, has cost me $0.

I'll be patient until they want to upgrade us or my phone breaks and need a replacement.
Old December 6th, 2009, 7:58 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

it should also wash my car for me, but that's a pipe dream...
You didn't get the force field option that keeps your truck clean?
Old December 7th, 2009, 8:08 AM
CF Addict

Default Force Field

I must have missed that one, was it near the heat seeking missles for traffic? because i have that one...
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Tahoe lacking

I agree with the Bluetooth and more and it should not increase the price.

Last year my wife got a new company vehicle [CAD$23,000 Ford Escape] with the SYNC feature and I am very jealous my 2007 $60,000+ Tahoe did not.

She can bluetooth her Blackberry to the car instantly when she gets in. It accepts incoming calls and displays the number and name on the dash. It imports all contacts allows for voice activated calling.

GM is way too late out of the gate on this technology and I can only assume they have been hoping to convert/retain on the onstar business [if your cell phone works hands free in your car why subscribe to onstar?]

And while she can access her MP3's through bluetooth too, she can also plug in a USB thumb drive into the SYNC port and listen to weeks of endless music.

What GM needs to do is take a lead in this technology.

Why can't they allow for MP3's on DVD's (9GB of music instead of 700MB on a CD)
Or how about allowing for DivX movie files instead of just DVD's giving you up to 6 full length movies or an entire season of say House MD on one disc.

Or even better, no more burning discs. Go greener and reduce the old smash and grabs with the USB port and make it so the vehicle can play what ever is on the thumb drive (DivX movies, MP3's... ) and when you park the car you can put the entire collection in your pocket.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
CF Addict

Default well

no worries, this is coming soon:

http://tnerd.com/2010/01/08/ford-myt...ubtedly-geeky/

and... the SDK (Software Development Kit) won't be far behind.

I do IT for a living... I can't wait to write software for this thing, I have SO many ideas of what I want it to do!

Anyone have any ideas for apps that I could write? programming a divx player to get movies would be slick... or getting them from a USB stick. what about sharing out part of the hard drive over wifi, so you could upload things from your home computer?

Quick Reply: 2009 Tahoe Features Missing