Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2010 Tahoe Lighting Upgrade Options

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2010, 2:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hid

You are correct; they only get so many sparks per life time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlam..._light_sources

As for using HID bulbs in traditional housings:

The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different in size, shape, orientation, and luminosity distribution compared to the filament light source used in tungsten-halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. HID burners cannot effectively or safely be installed in optics designed to take filament bulbs; doing so results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries.[38]
Old April 28th, 2010, 2:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED headlamps

something i never thought of... LED headlamps won't melt snow...

Prolonged operation above the maximum junction temperature will permanently degrade the LEDs and ultimately shorten the device's life. The need to keep LED junction temperatures low at high power levels always requires additional thermal management measures such as heatsinks and exhaust fans which are typically quite expensive.[45]

Additional facets of the thermal issues with LED headlamps reveal themselves in cold ambient temperatures. Not only must heat be removed from the rear of the headlamp so that the housing does not deform or melt, but heat must in addition be effectively applied to thaw snow and ice from the front lenses, which are not heated by the comparatively small amount of infrared radiation emitted forward with the light from LEDs.[46]

here in PA snow often accumulates while driving on the front of a vehicle... intresting... solve one problem, create another
Old April 28th, 2010, 8:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the place. I haven't done this mod (yet), but they come highly recommended if you can stomach the cost:

http://www.lightwerkz.net/index.htm
Old April 28th, 2010, 9:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the yukon denalis still have projectors, if they do, would those fit the tahoe?
Old April 29th, 2010, 5:50 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The Yukon front clip is different than the Tahoe. I believe as previously stated that the Esky lites will fit the Yukon.

Somewhere in the US found out last winter that their LED traffic lites didn't melt the snow trapped in them rendering them useless.
Old April 30th, 2010, 9:18 AM
CF Senior Member

we have HIDs in our 07 Tahoe and there are no issues with extra glare or anything...I have drove my car in front of my wife while she was in the Tahoe and it looks just like any other truck with HIDs.
the extra clean light is A LOT better than the stock lights.
Old April 30th, 2010, 9:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ousig2408
we have HIDs in our 07 Tahoe and there are no issues with extra glare or anything...I have drove my car in front of my wife while she was in the Tahoe and it looks just like any other truck with HIDs.
the extra clean light is A LOT better than the stock lights.

yea i have the 4300K in my 07 tahoe with the stock housings and have no problems yet. They just look light brighter white bulbs. Mine do not have any blue or purple in them once they warm up. I've had the blue regular bulbs also and they are no where near HID.
Old April 30th, 2010, 4:47 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ousig2408
it looks just like any other truck with HIDs.
Besides the Esky, what other truck has OEM HIDs?
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM
CF Active Member

Navigators, Range Rovers, Mercedes GL's, ML's, the G wagon, FX35's FX50's Lexus RX, GX, LX (if you call them trucks).
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Besides the Esky, what other truck has OEM HIDs?
I mean any other truck that has them added after - I see a lot more full size trucks with HID lights around. the extra clean bright light is a great improvement over stock. I really do not like the projector setup where you have such a light cutoff.

Quick Reply: 2010 Tahoe Lighting Upgrade Options