Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 New Suburban purchase Q&A

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2010, 9:04 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That is about what I got mine for, well almost 10k it was 9600 off the sticker.
The Tahoe's (and Suburbans) have about a 15% markup. Take 15% off the sticker and you are looking at about dealer cost or close to it, your not likely to get that price but its where you should start your bidding.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Received 159 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeThemTillTheyGlow
What does the 2 way adv. remote do for you? I thought it came with a remote key fob?
The 2-way remote is bigger than the standard fobs that come w/ the truck and it has a LCD display and ~ 1,000 ft range (although the best I can get is about 500 ft). The display can tell you which doors are locked, fuel status, each tire's pressure, minutes left on the ten minute remote start, and tune radio (for tailgating, I guess). It can't tell you if the alarm is tripped, so not entirely 2-way.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Administrator

If I remember right, the supplier discount is about 4% below invoice.
Old December 5th, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
That is about what I got mine for, well almost 10k it was 9600 off the sticker.
The Tahoe's (and Suburbans) have about a 15% markup. Take 15% off the sticker and you are looking at about dealer cost or close to it, your not likely to get that price but its where you should start your bidding.
Interesting In2pro. Yeah, I'm not one of these people who thinks the dealer should basically give me the car for cost, but I also want to get a good deal and don't want to pay them a lot of hidden profits if possible. I've read many stories of how people are doing their research on all of the various holdbacks, incentives, etc then making an offer around $750 to $1000 over the real dealer cost and getting deals done quickly tht way.
Old December 5th, 2010, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
If I remember right, the supplier discount is about 4% below invoice.
Shark, thanks. If I understand your post correctly and all of the financial terms related to purchasing these cars, the invoice price you are referring to is the dealer invoice off of MSRP? This does not take into consideration any holdback or dealer incentives that allow them to sell the car "at invoice", but still make many thousands behind the scenes?
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator

It's the dealer invoice price listed on the printout you get when you order using a supplier or employee discount.
Old December 7th, 2010, 9:52 PM
Administrator

It was a good friend that worked for GMAC that told me about the 15% many years ago... an of course that number changes with various models.
I have not used the supplier pricing so I can't really speak on it but the advice I have tried to follow or give others is shoot for about 3% over invoice, this way you get a decent price, the salesman gets a reasonable profit. Even below invoice I have heard the dealership still makes a base profit for selling the vehicle, seems like I heard somewhere around $600 to 800.
Basically when you start haggling a price its the salesman that gets the hit never the dealership...
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator

A few other pieces of advice for getting a better/ best deal...

have your financing already done thru your bank or credit union

go on a full stomach (not hungry and not in a hurry)

go close to closing time as they will stay as long as it takes to close the deal but are also wanting to go home, so they will work hard to close a deal.

Always be prepared to walk away

Do some of the preliminary bidding via internet sales, you have all the control when you have time to read over your email offers, this won't get you the rock bottom price but it will get the BS haggling out of the way before having to play the " let me see what my sales manager says"

Once you have got them as low as they will go via internet sales, start visiting the dealership and work with a particular sales person so they get to know you and that you are serious and already know what you are looking to pay for a particular vehicle.
Old December 13th, 2010, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
A few other pieces of advice for getting a better/ best deal...

have your financing already done thru your bank or credit union

go on a full stomach (not hungry and not in a hurry)

go close to closing time as they will stay as long as it takes to close the deal but are also wanting to go home, so they will work hard to close a deal.

Always be prepared to walk away

Do some of the preliminary bidding via internet sales, you have all the control when you have time to read over your email offers, this won't get you the rock bottom price but it will get the BS haggling out of the way before having to play the " let me see what my sales manager says"

Once you have got them as low as they will go via internet sales, start visiting the dealership and work with a particular sales person so they get to know you and that you are serious and already know what you are looking to pay for a particular vehicle.
Great advice in2pro, I actually had a deal all set before going in to close. Brought with me a bank check for the loan and a bunch of cash from the sale of the previous vehicle. I didn't eat before going in (mistake). I went to inspect the vehicle took my wife and salesman for a quick spin around the block and the salesman actually said this was his first time in an Escalade (I should have known then), after 3 hours all documents signed keys in hand, at 9pm, the dealer wanted a letter from my bank for some BS reason I still can't understand, I reminded them that banks were closed, I will give it to you tomorrow. Mind you my wife and ride was already gone, they wouldn't work with me, so I demanded my money back and called the wife back in. I just closed with another dealer and it went as smooth as possible, well worth the extra 45 minute drive. It still amazes me how I was treated, do yourself a favor, don't ever go to Gordon Chevrolet in Garden City, MI.