Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Tahoe issues with Nav, XM traffic, radio

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tahoe issues with Nav, XM traffic, radio

I've only had my Tahoe about 3 weeks now. I'm noticing some annoying things about the usage of the NAV radio package. Seems like if I'm heading away, then don't alert me.

1. XM Traffic
Got an alert telling me there is a accident along the route. The only problem is that I've already passed the intersection about a mile ago.

2. NAV route
Yesterday, a NAV route told me to "stay right and proceed to do a safe u-turn". I chose to just go left at the intersection.

3. General Radio Use
XM
a. The interface is painful
b. You cannot browse the categories without it actually switching to the first station in the category.
c. There is no listing function

4. Aux mode
IPOD USB
a. My only issue with this interface is that when you select an artist, you cannot then just select an album. You are only given ALL songs listed.

The software needs a serious makeover. Do they not use the interface before release? I can't be the only one that does not like it.
Old May 6th, 2011, 1:23 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lol

Preaching to the choir my man...

check out this toy:

MyFord Touch | Driver Connect Technology | Ford.com

YouTube - MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch Walkthrough

I'll try to stick to the facts, and not my jaded view of the GM sat nav.

1. alerts arrive based upon reports and your location, they are not always timely.

2. it's a GPS, sometimes it doesn't know what the real world is

3.set your favorite stations and use the buttons on the wheel to browse

4. be glad GM and your ipod are playing nicely at all

5. if you have a tech background (like me) and are intrested in creating your own firmware for the device, let me know!

I'd love to load a custom OS on it, like android, then have google maps, pandora, desinations while rolling, spoken street names, voice recognition, etc.

You have a big (well kinda) 6.5" LCD... yet incoming calls from my bluetooth iphone show the caller ID number on a tiny screen on my speedo?! not the NAME or PHOTO of who's calling. how the heck would I know what number anyone is? I'm not sure I know my own mother's phone number... i say call mom and the phone... DOES IT... show the incoming NAME, Number and PHOTO on the LCD.

Bad GM. No buscuit.
Old May 7th, 2011, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

"4. be glad GM and your ipod are playing nicely at all"

This is so true!
Old May 9th, 2011, 7:15 AM
CF Addict

Default yea

My co-worked just bought a 2011 CTS for $46,000... the GPS locks up ALL THE TIME. He's taken to taking videos of it now to show the dealer...6 lock ups a week! for $46,000!

LOL... i told him GM can't do tech... he didn't listen...
Old May 9th, 2011, 8:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow ya from what you have been dealing with I would not buy a brand new GM with any "tech" until they do a complete refresh or plan on ripping it all out and putting in a quality aftermarket system.

since ours is an '07 I am not too annoyed bcause it is not really new but if I got the same system in an '11 I would be screaming
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I wonder why GM chose to do there own thing rather then go with something mainstream like Android or iOS... bet it has to do ALOT with money...
why pay someone for something good when you can stick them with your own good enough crapware...

Android or iOS = sharing the profits with the other guys...

GM crapware = pocket all the money yourself.....
Old May 9th, 2011, 1:46 PM
CF Addict

Default yea

Ford teamed up with Microsoft...

GM teamed up with android (news article months ago, nothing solid yet)

yea, GM just make the damn car... let someone who has done tech for 20 years do the tech parts!
Old May 9th, 2011, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default yes,, but

they CAN make it better if they wanted to. It is just code. All the hardware bits are there, just need to interface them better. If the NAV is able to mute the audio, then it is capable of displaying the number on the screen as well. It is able to pop up that I need gas for instance. It is completely senseless that these things were not addressed during the pre-launch road testing that they do. Even a KIA sportage now has push button start.

Get with the program GM, where is your "American" innovation..
Old May 9th, 2011, 3:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who cares about push button start...? that is a much easier feature to add quickly vs revamping the navigation system - that they have been making $$$ on since 2007. but I completely agree with the rest about the lazy programming and random features not included with the factory nav system
Old May 9th, 2011, 9:49 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by five0.4tluv
they CAN make it better if they wanted to. It is just code. All the hardware bits are there, just need to interface them better. If the NAV is able to mute the audio, then it is capable of displaying the number on the screen as well. It is able to pop up that I need gas for instance. It is completely senseless that these things were not addressed during the pre-launch road testing that they do. Even a KIA sportage now has push button start.

Get with the program GM, where is your "American" innovation..
In case you didn't know, the NBS has twist and release start. IOW you don't have to hold it in the Start position 'til it starts, just go to Start and let it return to Run. The ECM does the rest.

Quick Reply: 2011 Tahoe issues with Nav, XM traffic, radio