Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 tahoe lt, unusual noise: problem or normal?

Old May 21st, 2011, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 tahoe lt, unusual noise: problem or normal?

I recently purchased a Tahoe. This is my first Chevy since I was a kid and much has changed since.
With less than 1000 miles on it, I've been noticing a noise that sounds like something is decompressing, almost like a hissing coming from the driver side. This happens only upon the initial vehicle start then going into drive. I hear the noise twice, consecutively(hiss, pause, hiss) usually within 20ft of driving. IS this normal?
The hissing doesn't occur until I put the tahoe on drive and drive forward. It doesn't happen on reverse and doesn't occur when the car is already on, placed in park, then on drive and driven. Only on the initial start up. I didn't seem to notice this during a test drive with a different tahoe. Any thoughts? I don't want to put my family at risk.

I came from a tacoma that had a similar noise that was determined to be the normal functioning ABS. I'm not too sure if this is the same, just need to be sure. I want see if anyone knew here before while I wait for my appointment in week when I'm free. Thanks
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you say you have an LT but do you have an autoride or air suspension by chance like the LTZ models have?
Old May 21st, 2011, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. It's an LT with no auto ride air suspension.

Originally Posted by ousig2408
you say you have an LT but do you have an autoride or air suspension by chance like the LTZ models have?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing comes to mind. Currently on my second NBS and haven't heard what you describe. Let us know what you find out.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 7:58 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

things that come to mind are:
fuel pump, transmission, serpentine belt, electric fan... not in a bad way just maybe sounds that are transferring or bouncing off the ground and sounding different....
Old May 28th, 2011, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

Had a service advisor test drive the Tahoe. States the noise is from the abs initializing.... The same answer I got when I heard it in my Tacoma. It's normal. He says most people don't notice it.
Old May 28th, 2011, 6:39 AM
Administrator

Since your first post, have been listening and noticed a couple of things. The A/C makes a noise as the pressure builds up and the heated washer fluid (aftermarket) makes a mild gurgling noise as it initially heats up. Don't know if I hear the ABS but might be different on each unit.
Old May 28th, 2011, 8:57 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default seats

after the dealer fixed my driver's heated seat, my seats now make a much louder fan noise when I use heat or cooled seats (heat seems to spin the fan for a few seconds)... or maybe i'm just crazy... since why would it do that!? but hey, I can hear it.. along with the rattle in the driver's door and the rear windows flopping about when they are lowered... they litterally just rest in the doors... like they aren't even attached to the stupid truck..
Old May 31st, 2011, 8:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MR45
I recently purchased a Tahoe. This is my first Chevy since I was a kid and much has changed since.
With less than 1000 miles on it, I've been noticing a noise that sounds like something is decompressing, almost like a hissing coming from the driver side. This happens only upon the initial vehicle start then going into drive. I hear the noise twice, consecutively(hiss, pause, hiss) usually within 20ft of driving. IS this normal?
The hissing doesn't occur until I put the tahoe on drive and drive forward. It doesn't happen on reverse and doesn't occur when the car is already on, placed in park, then on drive and driven. Only on the initial start up. I didn't seem to notice this during a test drive with a different tahoe. Any thoughts? I don't want to put my family at risk.

I came from a tacoma that had a similar noise that was determined to be the normal functioning ABS. I'm not too sure if this is the same, just need to be sure. I want see if anyone knew here before while I wait for my appointment in week when I'm free. Thanks
MR45,

I see that you said you were taking in your vehicle to get looked at. Have you made the trip to the dealership yet? If so, what was their diagnosis?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 31st, 2011, 9:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
after the dealer fixed my driver's heated seat, my seats now make a much louder fan noise when I use heat or cooled seats (heat seems to spin the fan for a few seconds)... or maybe i'm just crazy... since why would it do that!? but hey, I can hear it.. along with the rattle in the driver's door and the rear windows flopping about when they are lowered... they litterally just rest in the doors... like they aren't even attached to the stupid truck..
FWIW my fan only runs on cool and I can't hear it.