Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban electricity draw causing starting, power steering and AC problems

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2023, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Suburban electricity draw causing starting, power steering and AC problems

Have 2015 Suburban. Thought battery was going dead as it needed to be jumped a time or two. After another episode of it not cranking I went and bought a new battery. When I got back, I tried to start it again - and it started right up (before putting the new battery in). I turned it off after 30 seconds and restarted it - no problem, plenty of juice. Over the next day or two I noticed the power steering was going intermittent at startup - and the AC fan would dip down low - as if it had been turned down a couple of notches. And when I start it, it seems (perhaps I'm imagining it) that there is a bit of a delay before the starter kicks in. As if the battery was really digging deep.

I'd assume there may be a starter issue - but why would that cause the power steering and AC act like they were starved for power?

Called Chevrolet and they said there was a coding issue/recall involving the power steering back in 2018 - but that mine had already been serviced for it.

Any direction would be helpful. I didn't put the new battery in yet b/c it is NORMALY starting up OK. But one of the non-starts is going to leave us stranded up in the mountains with my luck!
Old July 25th, 2023, 9:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Have the alternator tested.
Old August 1st, 2023, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that it was, in fact, the battery. Thanks!!