Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban LTZ magnetic ride problems

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2018, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jholslin
they are still in the truck. and they are not leaking yet. I had a hard time pulling the pins on the harness, so I cut and spliced the old harness on the new stocks.
thanks for the reply... when you install them did you have to do any kind of reset or did it do it automatically once you turned on the car.. im getting mines tomorrow from the dealer at a cost of $455 each from the parts department (retail price was $650 each) thanks again
Old August 6th, 2019, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2015 Suburban LTZ Magnetic Ride Failure

I brought my 2015 Suburban LTZ (63,000 - original owner) into the dealership today for a horrible banging in the front passenger's side. At first the customer service rep told us they could not replicate the issue and after some firm convincing, the tech came back and said that the shocks were indeed leaking in the front. While I have an extended warranty good for 72 months or up to 75k miles and the part is listed as struts under he GM code, the cost is not going to be covered and we are going to have to pay nearly $1800 to repair. We really have no choice but to repair given the noise is not only loud when the car hits a bump but also the performance and handling has not been great since the noise started. After researching further, it is very apparent that this is a known issue with GM! This is our 3rd suburban (2003, 2008 & now a 2015). With the most recent costing over $70k - yes - crazy to pay so much for a vehicle, it is not even paid off yet and we are already sinking nearly $2k into the vehicle. So, so disappointed to think that this is a re-occurring issue and there is no compensation available - heh, GM, you're stealing from hard working people who trust in you to build a reliable vehicle! And I am a repeat buyer and from a family of Chevy owners. Don't advertise lies about the most reliable vehicles when you know differently!
Old August 7th, 2019, 9:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: I took the loss and traded for a new Toyota Four Runner Limited. The rough ride problem is fixed. GM spent about $3000.00 (TSB PT5429) and I spent close to $4000.00 myself attempting to resolve the rough ride issue. If you own a 2015 Suburban LTZ or Tahoe LTZ with a rough ride problem there IS NO FIX FOR THE PROBLEM. I purchased simulators that connected to the computer and would make the computer think the factory shocks were still installed. This was to keep the suspension service light on the DIS turned off. I then replaced all shocks with top line aftermarket parts. The ride did improve, somewhat, but was still very rough. The service suspension light also came on occasionally and that was the straw that told me to get rid of this pig. In summary; GM realized they have the problem (TSB PT5429). After TSB repairs completed ...no change in ride. GM then attempts to tell me the ride is characteristic of this vehicle. I spent $4000.00 trying to resolve. I explained to GM that I don't have the deep pockets to sue them in open court but I have documentation and three willing service mgrs willing to go to court with me. I will sue them in small claims court for diminished value. GM could/would stay out of court for years if sued in civil court but they can't stay out of small claims court. When I explained this to GM they offered a $3500 voucher to be used to purchase a new Tahoe. $3500 won't pay the sales tax on a new Tahoe...thanks but no thanks. Dood luck to all GM owners attempting to get GM to stand by their products. After the hoops I was forced to jump through attempting to resolve an issue they created I'm done with GM. If the problem was JUST the ride problem I could have dealt with that. But when GM started running away from a problem they knew existed that told me all I needed to know about GM.
Old September 16th, 2019, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

We've had the same problem with our 2015 Suburban LTZ. Terrible ride and a leaking shock.
After getting quotes of between $1700 and $2000, I decided to try to replace them myself.
Summit Racing sells the exact replacement "Mageride" shock for $328 each. That's about half price compared to the dealer price.
It's not really that hard to replace them if you've got the time an patience.
The new shocks are a big improvement but the ride is still much harsher than the 2001 Suburban we drove for 17 years.
Not a big fan of the new, improved suspension.
GM should replace them at no charge since this seems to be a common problem.
Old March 4th, 2020, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

I have had the very harsh ride and the leaking now failure of them. I am changing to total aftermarket and a delete of the Mag ride bull****. Costing $1800 I will report in next week when finished and detail my success or failures. Thanks for the info everyone. PG
Old March 28th, 2020, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Same issue with my 2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ I bought from a family member that was going to turn back on lease. Only had 15,000 miles. When we first got it we thought it rode hard so I had A/T tires installed by the Chevy dealer like they use on the pick-up trucks thinking that the hard ride came from the lower profile tires that came on the truck. Today I took it in for a oil change with 35,312 miles and they tell me that the front struts are leaking and need to be replaced Estimate $2186.06 just for the front magnetic struts. Not covered. Also have a oil line leaking at the crimp (covered under drive tran warranty) I had a 2003 Cadillac Escalade that I bought with 3,000 miles and had the same issues around 60,000 miles with shocks struts and even oil line crimp sold at 69,000 miles. Should have these issues with 35,000 miles dealer maintained. Very dissatisfied with GM products. I can say after this I‘m definitely not buying another Chevy!
Old June 10th, 2020, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2008 suburban. having the same issues. I know the rear air shocks are bad as well as the compressor. Trying to find out if i replaced the compressor and rear shocks and eliminate the Magride from the from with aftermarket set and resistors will the autoride still work to level the rear when towing a trailer