Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Tahoe PPV Brakes squeaking

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2015, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Tahoe Brakes squealing

I bought a 2015 Tahoe in January and have had problems with the brakes squealing since April. The dealership put new pads on in May. They were quiet for a while, but in June I started hearing them again. Took it back to the dealership in July and they turned the rotors and deglazed the pads. They were fine for a while, but started squealing again and I am having to take it into the dealership this week. I have contacted Chevy customer service, but haven't heard anything yet. It's so frustrating to be paying this much for a brand new car and it's either at the dealership being fixed or making some horrendous noise.
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2015 brakes

I purchased my 2015 tahoe in October 2014. The brakes squeaked since I bought the car. I took it in to the dealership in May and they told me nothing is wrong and that they must be getting wet with the sprinklers at night. I assured them that wasn't happening and I was told there was nothing they could do. I took the car back in September with only 10,000 miles on the car and was told the rear brakes need to be replaced. Now the front brakes squeal every time I drive the car. I've taken it in twice and they tell me nothing is wrong yet when stopping I feel the car jerk when a certain amount of pressure is applied. I find this to be a huge safety concern as well as already having my steering column replaced. I have notified gm and am in the process if trying to get them to replace my car. They don't return calls when they say they will and according to the representatives replacing brakes falls under normal wear and tear. It's a brand new car! I have several other issues with my car as well. It's been in the shop 6 times and things still aren't right. Any suggestions on how else this could be handled without hiring an attorney?
Old October 8th, 2015, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Might research the lemon law in your jurisdiction.
Old October 19th, 2015, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2015 Tahoe PPV

Same issues here. Tahoe hit 400 miles and the brakes started whining during normal braking. It does not do it when I brake hard, only when stopping normally. Sounds like a school bus stopping to pick up kids! Anyway, bought 8 of the 2015's and now at least 5 of them are having the same issue. Highest miles on one of them is 6200. Mine and the other 3 have less than 600. Chevrolet has burnished the pads and sprayed lube with absolutely no results.
Old October 20th, 2015, 7:37 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing that 100+ years of auto development GM can't even get brakes right.
They worked last year.. what's different about the 2015 brakes?
Old October 20th, 2015, 8:07 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

What I understand about brake squeal (that is not due to wear indicator) is its caused by vibration of the pad (very light contact to moving rotor) , that vibration is transferred to the surrounding caliper housing and is amplified...
Almost all pads do it...
Its all about how the vibration is mitigated.

The pad has to be able to float to stay close to the rotor so you can't completely retract it or clamp it to the caliper piston, or you increase brake reaction time having to close the pad wear gap every time....

If the pads don't already have the anti vibration pad / sticker on the backside it might be worth trying an anti-vibration spray to the back side of the pads....

If its not that, then it has to be a tolerance issue with pad backing to caliper housing, too much vibration allowance is happening.
Old October 20th, 2015, 10:28 AM
CF Addict

I've seen a lot of newer cars that pull the pads away from the rotor.. saves brake wear and helps MPG.

BMWs actually pre-ready (move the pad closer to rotor) the pads when the rain sensors sense rain, so the pad is dry when you need to brake.
Old October 20th, 2015, 5:21 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Amazing that 100+ years of auto development GM can't even get brakes right.
They worked last year.. what's different about the 2015 brakes?
Maybe they have gone to a harder or a ceramic pad.
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:15 AM
CF Addict

Default maybe

anyone have pics of the 2015s vs the 2014s?
Old December 17th, 2015, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2015 PPV 4 wheel drive and has had rotors turned once then the dealership replaced the rotors and the pads then 10 minutes after leaving the dealership the the brakes still squeak and its quite noticeable in a governmanet vehicle when you have loud sqeaking brakes. wanted to try some aftermarket pads or rotors but really hate to purchase since the vehicle is SO new!!!!

Last edited by GoreFD; December 17th, 2015 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Tahoe PPV Brakes squeaking