Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2016 Tahoe Engine Power Reduced

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2016, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Tahoe Engine Power Reduced

I have a 2016 Tahoe Special Services Package with 800 miles on it and was greeted with this tonight while driving 73mph on an interstate w/cruise control on.
What gives?
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its dealer time and let us all know what happened
Old March 28th, 2016, 8:14 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that's got to be so unnerving....brand new vehicle and now you have a CEL (check engine light) and the engine power reduced message.

I feel your pain...had that message many a time when my pre-07 Tahoe was new. Good luck, please keep us updated!

So many variables which can cause the "engine power to reduce". The dealer will read the CEL codes and hopefully it will lead them to find the issue and resolve it.

Or you could invest in an OBD2 scanner and read the codes yourself if youre into DIY.

Last edited by Typerod; March 28th, 2016 at 8:16 AM.
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I can't believe that happened on a brand new ride. But, welcome to the "restricted" club. BTW: your top end is restricted too (all the time). I could give you at least 100 links here on this Forum to that condition that's happened to others, but at least their rides have been in service a few years.

It's absolutely sinful that this has happened to SO many of us, which have put our love and faith in GM.
Old March 28th, 2016, 1:15 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Sean Crotty Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately the reduced engine power and or stabilitrac error(s) can be and are often times a generic catch-all for a drivability problem. there may be codes set that can lead the tech to the problem.( BUT there might not be)
As for the error, its basicly the computer saying "Hey something is wrong and to protect you and the drive train, I'm going to reduce the engine power and vehicle ability to allow you to drive to a safe stopping place"

Get it into the dealer ASAP, even if it goes away after you shut it off and restart it, DO NOT write it off as a fluke. Document it with the dealership service department, otherwise you risk it showing up again when you least need it too or when you are out of warranty....
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks everyone.
Yea- I dropped the truck off at the local Chevy Dealership where they had it for 10hrs working on it. Situation recreated as soon as they started it. They got the codes and have been trying to figure out what is causing it.
This vehicle is one of 7 Tahoes we bought for our Town Police Fleet- 3 of the trucks have been in for similar hard shifting and error codes. Mine is the 4th. All others were placed in service at the same time and have many more miles as they are 24/7 cars and not take home vehicles.
I am not even sure that the situations were resolved in the others- but we have the trucks back on the road.
Let you know if they come up with anything today.
Old March 29th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sean, thanks for getting back to us on your REP problem, we all hope that the dealer resolved it, but, that code has a way of sneaking back on you, and for some, quite often.

Good luck.
Old August 9th, 2017, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

My 2014 Tahoe LT, 40,000 miles has been experiencing the following issues since May, 2017:
• Loss of engine power
• Check engine warning light illuminates
• traction control light came on and other warnings:
• ENGINE POWER REDUCED,
• SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL,
• SERVICE STABILITRAK
• My car slows down no matter how much gas I give it. The car slows to 10-25 MPH.
• If I turn the engine off and wait a few minutes, and then turn it back on it displays the “check engine light,” and will drive without loss of power for the rest of the day until the next morning, when the symptoms start again on the way to work.
• It frequently happens on Monday Morning or when car has been out of use for more than 24 hours
PAST SERVICE TO REMEDY
• We took it for service on 6/1 (private shop) and they diagnosed the check engine light, and replaced the accelerator pedal assembly. ($240.55). It worked file for a week, then the loss of power started again.
• We took it for service again at our shop- and they replaced the battery. It worked fine for a few weeks, then loss of power again.
• 8/5/17- we took it to Davis Chevrolet and they ran the codes, and replaced the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor, they did an injector flush and throttle body service, ($469.83), we picked it up on 8/8/17.
• 8/9/17- exact same loss of power symptoms today.
8/9/17 - we just dropped it back off with Davis Chevrolet and I really do not want to spend more money and not get any resolution.

After reading this very helpful forum, I left a note requesting that they check the following items- and my husband did a giant eye roll at me, but I don't care.

REQUESTED ACTION:
• REMEDY THE PROBLEM
• CONFIRM THAT THE FOLLOWING POSSIBLE CAUSES HAVE BEEN EVALUATED OR TESTED:

• ISSUE OR MALFUNCTION WITH THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM

• Defective throttle position (TP) sensor

• Defective oxygen sensor

• Loose or damaged wiring

• Defective throttle body

• Defective powertrain control module (PCM)

• Any fault/error that will affect drivability function

• Any fault/error that will affect vehicle performance

• A fault/error in the emissions system

• A fault/error in the throttle control system

• A fault/error in the transmission system

What have been the outcomes or remedies of other Tahoes with the same issue?

Thank you!!