Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2016 Tahoe Power Liftgate Not Responding

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2021, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2016 Tahoe Power Liftgate Not Responding

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am completely new to this forum. I know however that this topic has probably been covered a million times but so far I haven't seen a solution to my issue. I have recently purchased a used 2016 Tahoe LTZ and have encountered some issues with the power liftgate. When using the Key Fob and overhead console control, the liftgate does unlock but it does not lift up. When I manually put it up, it does stay up but when using the key fob or overhead console control to close the gate, it does nothing. Again, it stays up so I am not sure if the studs are the problem! It unlocks and also does lock automatically, it just doesn't go up or down, not even a little bit!

FYI (I checked the overhead console and it is set to full, so that's not the issue)

So this morning I came across a thread that suggested to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes which I did and I came to the result that now my gate does not unlock or lock itself when using the keyfob or overhead console. The gate does open and close manually however. When using the fob or overhead control now, all I head is a quiet sound like it wants to unlock but doesnt. Now I am worried that I broke it even more LOL

Anyone on here that has experienced this issue before and knows how to fix it?

Old January 19th, 2021, 10:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

"The more electrical stuff, the higher the chance something will go bad" - Yogi Berra
Old January 20th, 2021, 7:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Full code scan is needed as a first step. A P code reader is not enough. There are 4 code families in GM vehicles and all of them need to be checked. That's the first thing a dealer does.
My '11 LTZ has 41 readable modules in it that record codes. Other than checking fuses it needs a scan to help point the way to what it may be.
Old January 20th, 2021, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by repairman54
Full code scan is needed as a first step. A P code reader is not enough. There are 4 code families in GM vehicles and all of them need to be checked. That's the first thing a dealer does.
My '11 LTZ has 41 readable modules in it that record codes. Other than checking fuses it needs a scan to help point the way to what it may be.
Thanks. I have an appointment with the dealer next week due to an unrelated issue. I'll have them take a look at it and see what it could be. Just worried that they are going to quote me some unrealistic number