Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2016 Suburban LTZ Liftgate Won't Open with FOB

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2019, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2016 Suburban LTZ Liftgate Won't Open with FOB

Hi Everyone! I've searched high and low for my exact problem and can't find any information. Hoping someone here might have some advice.

I just purchased a 2016 Suburban LTZ a few days ago and it's in great shape. I'm a first time Chevy buyer and this replaced a 15 year old Honda Pilot that I had driven for 10 years so needless to say, lots of bells and whistles that I am learning about. I've figured out a lot so far except for one thing....

If I go out and attempt to open the liftgate with the FOB, it doesn't work (yes, the doors are unlocked). It opens fine by pressing the button on the liftgate handle or by pressing the button inside on the console. The fob button for the glass works perfectly. This happens with both of my FOBs so I don't think it's a FOB issue.

To complicate matters, if I first open the liftgate by one of the other two methods and THEN double press the button on the FOB, it does work to close or then reopen the liftgate -- if I do it quickly. If I leave the liftgate open for a few minutes and then attempt to close it with the FOB, it doesn't work again. It's almost like a connection timing out to use the FOB for the liftgate.

I have fiddled with every setting that might apply and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Old October 27th, 2019, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you ever find out how to fix this?

I’m dealing with the same issue on mine.
Old November 5th, 2019, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by inghjal
I’m dealing with the same issue on mine.
I fixed it and you'll be glad to know it was an easy, free fix. During a road trip over the summer, my wifi hot spot quit working. In troubleshooting that issue, I came across a YouTube Video that suggested disconnecting my negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then reconnecting it. The equivalent of unplugging your internet router at home, waiting and plugging it back in. I tired that. It not only worked for my hot spot, it fixed this issue as well. My lift gate has worked perfectly in every manner possible since then.
Old November 5th, 2019, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EN*FL
I fixed it and you'll be glad to know it was an easy, free fix. During a road trip over the summer, my wifi hot spot quit working. In troubleshooting that issue, I came across a YouTube Video that suggested disconnecting my negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then reconnecting it. The equivalent of unplugging your internet router at home, waiting and plugging it back in. I tired that. It not only worked for my hot spot, it fixed this issue as well. My lift gate has worked perfectly in every manner possible since then.

Thanks! I'll try this for sure!
Old November 5th, 2019, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by inghjal
Thanks! I'll try this for sure!
You're welcome. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me!
Old April 5th, 2022, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same Problem and Fix

You're welcome. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me!
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I had the same exact problem with my 2016 Chevy Tahoe. And your fix worked for me and that was after taking it to the dealer and they couldn’t figure it out. So thanks for posting this. My current question is whether this ended up being a long term fix or not? Did you have to do this multiple times? If so, how long did it last between resets?

thanks again!
Old April 5th, 2022, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kbcherry
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I had the same exact problem with my 2016 Chevy Tahoe. And your fix worked for me and that was after taking it to the dealer and they couldn’t figure it out. So thanks for posting this. My current question is whether this ended up being a long term fix or not? Did you have to do this multiple times? If so, how long did it last between resets?

thanks again!
Glad it worked for you! So far, I haven’t had to do it again. I’ve replaced my battery since then so technically that would have done a reset by default but I haven’t had any problems with my lift gate or my WiFi hotspot since I first did the reset
The following users liked this post:
kbcherry (April 7th, 2022)
Old April 7th, 2022, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

Glad it worked for you! So far, I haven’t had to do it again. I’ve replaced my battery since then so technically that would have done a reset by default but I haven’t had any problems with my lift gate or my WiFi hotspot since I first did the reset
Thats great to hear! Hopefully it works the same for me. Thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks again for posting the tip!