Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Lift Gate Buttons Don't Work (Key Fob Works Fine)

Old December 12th, 2013, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Lift Gate Buttons Don't Work (Key Fob Works Fine)

I have a 2010 Yukon XL with the power lift gate. My power lift gate will not operate using either switch on the lift gate (outside handle or inside bottom of the door). It will, however, operate perfectly using the key fob or the switch located in the front console near the sunroof buttons. The problem started after a winter storm where the roads were really wet. Seems to me something may have shorted out inside the rear left gate. Any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix this myself? Please let me know. Thanks!
Old December 12th, 2013, 1:43 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds more like a wiring issue to me. If there was some shorting involved, there would be a blown fuse. Need to remove the rear door panel to see if there any obvious connection or wiring issues.
Old December 12th, 2013, 1:50 PM
CF Junior Member

My 2007 Suburban LTZ has a similar problem in that the button on the inside bottom of the door will not close the door. The other buttons/fob open the door just fine, though. From everything I've been able to find, it appears that replacing the entire latch mechanism will fix the problem. I just haven't been able to justify spending $200 to do this when my arms work just fine for closing it. Hope this helps. Keep us updated.
Old December 13th, 2013, 6:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i believe theres an on off switch as one of the buttons in the overhead. that will turn off the rear button from working. correct me if i'm wrong and update either way
The following users liked this post:
Schwarzman01 (August 10th, 2019)
Old December 16th, 2013, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

trainwreck91, there is a switch in the front overhead console. That switch and the key fob are the only way I can open and close the rear hatch.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the button on the outside handle on the rear lift gate does not work for manual or power operation. Pressing that button does nothing, it doesn't release the latch so I can open manually nor does it engage the power lift gate function.

With the power lift gate working perfectly from the inside overhead console switch and the key fob, it looks like I need to remove the rear panel and look at the wiring and probably the outside door switch.

Does anyone know where I can find instructions for removing the rear panel?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 16th, 2013, 7:44 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Does the button above the license plate unlatch the glass?
Old January 13th, 2014, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

73shark - Yes, the button in the back door (for the window) does work to open the glass.

Another symptom of my problem, is that the button on the outside rear lift gate handle has two functions:

1) Open the door via the Power Lift function, when turned on.
2) Release the latch for manually opening, when the inside console power lift button is set to off.

Neither of these functions work. I have no way of opening the rear lift gate manually. I can only open it with the key fob or front console button.

Sorry for the delay in responding on this post. With the holidays a cold weather, I put off working on this problem for a while. I am back and would appreciate any help that can be provided.

Can anyone post instructions for removing the inside panel on the rear lift gate and/or instructions for testing the switch/button that is in the outside lift gate handle?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!
Old January 22nd, 2014, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

I have the exact, and I mean exact, same issue as hockeytrk, I see issues with the liftgate all over these forums but this is the first time I have had an exact match. Any help would be appreciated, sick of bringing my truck in for service.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Kilroy1111-
Same exact thing for me
Roof switch and fob will open gate just like it should . Rear door mounted handle button is dead! Won't power activate and won't allow manual open of lock. Can't manually open rear gate.
Old May 4th, 2014, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Same symptom here on my 2007. Did anyone get the problem fixed? Please report back!

BTW, mine also won't latch if I manually close the door. I can hear it trying to latch, but it doesn't. Like everyone else, works fine with the key fob and overhead console button.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Lift Gate Buttons Don't Work (Key Fob Works Fine)