Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2020, 8:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stacy Morgan
Same with my truck. No power steering and no reverse on start up. 2019 Chevy 1500. Turn off wait 10 min start again everything works. Happened about 6 times in 5 months. Have not gone to dealer,
Hey man! Sorry to hear. I have some advice for you - check GROUND G141 on the frame/body. It's somewhere behind the passenger front wheel well.

In addition to replacing my ECM, I was told that they found G141 to be caked full of undercoating.

CHECK THIS FIRST. Who knows that's what could have been at fault on my Yukon all along!

Is my problem fixed long term, NO IDEA. Time will tell! But it's probably best if you get this documented with your dealership before your bumper to bumper warranty is expired as well.

Last edited by BlaineBug; April 16th, 2020 at 8:58 PM.
Old April 30th, 2020, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you BlaineBug. I have a 2019 Yukon SLT and this exact thing (you documented it very well btw) happened three times in the last 4 months. Weather isn't the issue as it happened on a 30deg and a 65deg day. I am having it towed to the dealer and will mention G141. As with everyone else, I cannot afford this to happen on a random instance with young children seated in the car.

You are absolutely correct, you need to document all these events and have them "officially" recorded with the dealer as early as you can. Will send the vehicle in tomorrow. Thank you kindly.
Old April 30th, 2020, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I would be interested to see how you G141 ground looks. If you take off the passenger wheel you can pull back the carpeted wheel well liner and look. It's basically right in front of the passenger compartment at the very bottom, very easy to access.

Last week I actually took this ground back off and used the wire wheel on my drill to clean up the mating surfaces even better than what the GM technician did, and then once reassembled, I covered the area with black paint for corrosion resistance.

I haven't had a problem since they cleaned this ground and replaced the ECM (knock on wood!) but I felt the need to take a look for myself. I have to say my cleaning of the ground was much more thorough than what the technician did, although that is to be expected.
Old April 30th, 2020, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

That is fantastic. I think my plan of attach is to send it in to the dealership, citing your recommended guidelines, and let the dealers take action first. Unfortunately my ability to take any wheel off right now is limited and curious to see if the dealer actually performs this G141 check. I commend you for taking this DIY approach and further enhancing the solution (possibly?)

Obviously maybe the ECM replacement is also a material factor but who knows...we just need this resolved PERMANENTLY!
The following users liked this post:
Lucas L (March 2nd, 2023)
Old April 30th, 2020, 7:11 PM
CF Junior Member

The ECM replacement was at the advisement of GM's TAS, which is basically for escalated diagnostics, since it came in twice. The first time something comes in they normally do the bare minimum it seems, especially if they "can't reproduce customer complaint." The G141 ground was something the technician found independently on the second visit, had nothing to do with the TAS.

I'm not so sure your dealership will be willing to hear about what somebody else did, but hopefully they'll listen. I'm not even sure my issue is resolved permanently or not. I hope it is, I can't imagine what else it could be, so, I'm hopeful. Give me about a year for me to be totally confident with it.

How many miles are on your 2019?

Last edited by BlaineBug; April 30th, 2020 at 7:14 PM.
Old April 30th, 2020, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Great points. You’ve also set some expectations as well. I am sure their intentions are also to bill GM more often so I can see my temper rising as we skirt the issue.

I have 9k highway miles on this 2019 Yukon.
Old April 30th, 2020, 7:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Wow that's brand new. Too soon for issues!
Old February 13th, 2021, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is a little cold but hoping someone is still active. Our 2019 Yukon XL is doing the exact same thing. Of course we took it to the dealership but they couldn’t duplicate. Wondering if the ECM or the Ground fixe the issue. Thanks for the help!
Old February 13th, 2021, 5:59 PM
CF Junior Member

It's been nearly 12 months since the last issue, and nearly 11 months since I've been given the vehicle back and have been driving daily and haven't had the issue return (knock on wood?) so I would assume that either the ground or the ECM replacement fixed the issue.

After being given the vehicle back last March I did clean up that ground even better myself. So, was the fault the ground wire or the ECM? We will likely never know. But you may let them know about my issue and what was done to rectify it. GM TAS (the escalated corporate tech support) was involved as I had called their GM corporate support liaison in January of 2020 when the issue first appeared.

Just let it be known that NO battery positive cables or ground cables were replaced. Some other members mentioned that GM cables have a stereotype of having issues with high resistance.
Old February 15th, 2021, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to a mechanic. He will know better what to do! It's pretty hard to find a person that you can trust with fixing your car. After all, the problems are infinite when it comes to the car and as a mechanic, I imagine that every day you see new ones. One corroded wire can ruin the entire electrical system. If you are asking me, the mechanical part is easier to fix than the electrical one. When my car had broken down, I've called someone from https://bates-electric.com/locations/minneapolis-mn/ to fix this problem. I am grateful that I have never encountered serious issues with my car. It was always something light

Last edited by Baraboyz; February 16th, 2021 at 1:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement