Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2022, 8:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRfromSC
My 2019 Yukon Denali had all the same ills.

I disconnected the battery ground, left it off for a couple minutes. Reconnected, all is well.

good luck
I do not believe that solution will have a long term cure, unfortunately. Your problem will resurface at some point in the future until the root cause is identified and corrected.
Old August 9th, 2022, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Well, I guess

Originally Posted by BlaineBug
I do not believe that solution will have a long term cure, unfortunately. Your problem will resurface at some point in the future until the root cause is identified and corrected.

As stated it works fine now. So I guess only time will tell! We had the battery replaced in June, not sure if that has any bearing. I took the stance that I do with computers or any other electronic, if it's acting up, kill the power, and reboot. Reading the thread I never saw what the discovered culprit was. I spoke with an independent mechanic tonight who told me the alternator was going bad. I don't know enough to know anything! What I do know is that I bought a vehicle for a great deal of money that probably has more computing power than the first mission to land on the moon! And am hopeful it will continue to serve me and my family faithfully for many years. I am optimistically believing that GM and it's employees made a great vehicle that will go to at least a couple hundred thousand miles!

Best of luck to all!

JoeRfromSC
Old August 9th, 2022, 8:12 PM
CF Junior Member

As stated it works fine now. So I guess only time will tell! We had the battery replaced in June, not sure if that has any bearing. I took the stance that I do with computers or any other electronic, if it's acting up, kill the power, and reboot. Reading the thread I never saw what the discovered culprit was. I spoke with an independent mechanic tonight who told me the alternator was going bad. I don't know enough to know anything! What I do know is that I bought a vehicle for a great deal of money that probably has more computing power than the first mission to land on the moon! And am hopeful it will continue to serve me and my family faithfully for many years. I am optimistically believing that GM and it's employees made a great vehicle that will go to at least a couple hundred thousand miles!

Best of luck to all!

JoeRfromSC
Your issue will reappear, I guarantee it. Most likely hundreds of miles from now, months potentially, but it will return. Unhooking your battery doesn't fix this problem. Check the ground, that's about all you can do. If the fault is within the ECU that's an entirely different ball game.
Old August 10th, 2022, 5:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BlaineBug
Your issue will reappear, I guarantee it. Most likely hundreds of miles from now, months potentially, but it will return. Unhooking your battery doesn't fix this problem. Check the ground, that's about all you can do. If the fault is within the ECU that's an entirely different ball game.
Well, I am optimistic. And hopefully will not receive your "guarantee".

I wish you all the best.
Old August 10th, 2022, 8:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Being optimistic doesn't work with electronics or mechanicals.
Old August 10th, 2022, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Optimism only option

Well. Based on the fact that this thread, nor anywhere else I can find on the internet seems to have a definitive answer, optimism is my only option.

It appears from this thread that your problem ended 2.5 years ago? With a “ground issue “ or an ECM?

so I remain optimistic since your issue was perhaps resolved with a loose ground, but the stealership threw a part at it to generate a ticket to GM.

And the fact that the dealership could never replicate the issue.

Until an answer to the issue surfaces, I will remain optimistic.

Best to All!
Old August 10th, 2022, 9:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Well. Based on the fact that this thread, nor anywhere else I can find on the internet seems to have a definitive answer, optimism is my only option.

It appears from this thread that your problem ended 2.5 years ago? With a “ground issue “ or an ECM?

so I remain optimistic since your issue was perhaps resolved with a loose ground, but the stealership threw a part at it to generate a ticket to GM.

And the fact that the dealership could never replicate the issue.

Until an answer to the issue surfaces, I will remain optimistic.

Best to All!
I'm leaning towards the ECU being at fault. There are too many of these issues, you and many others included. I have a video on YouTube that has contained some comments from folks with an identical issue. With the exception that I never hear back from anyone about what they've done.

My issue was covered under warranty so I paid nothing. But the vehicle was in the dealership twice, and due to my efforts behind the scenes speaking with GM directly, that helped to connect the dealership tech with their "higher ups" at GM to devise a plan of action. It was not the dealership who went speaking with General Motors, it was due to my contact with General Motors as I was frustrated. It's not entirely their fault that they couldn't replicate the issue. The two instances in which I experienced the problem were about 4 weeks apart I believe, there's no way they're going to have that many drive cycles sitting in the parking lot of the dealership.

I just don't feel that it was solely a ground issue as I never had any other problems like what a bad ground would exhibit.

Unfortunately being a computer problem with today's insane technology that's not easy for someone to explain or find out WHY. No one tears into the computer to test every circuit within. There's no real answer. Just replace and reprogram the new unit and cross your fingers! Loss of communication with the ECU was a stored U code they mentioned in the paperwork that I have, that's about all I know. My skills in the automotive world relate to suspension and wiring, but not computers. I don't have a high-level scan tool or programmer. My ability to test stuff like this as a do-it-yourselfer is non-existent.

Last edited by BlaineBug; August 10th, 2022 at 9:22 AM.
Old December 11th, 2022, 3:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 bad electrical issues

Same has happened to my truck numerous times. I have never taken back to dealership. Random problem, . But have tried something that helps. Turn key to on, wait for chime to stop (5 or 6 chimes) then start. Less frequent problems. I believe the chime is in the moments the computer is booting up. Never heard or read this before. Hope this might help someone.
Old December 11th, 2022, 3:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has helped me cut down on frequency of problem, turn key to on, wait until chime stops, 5 or 6 times, then start, I believe this waiting lets the computer boot up. Hope it helps you
Old December 11th, 2022, 9:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stacy Morgan
Same has happened to my truck numerous times. I have never taken back to dealership. Random problem, . But have tried something that helps. Turn key to on, wait for chime to stop (5 or 6 chimes) then start. Less frequent problems. I believe the chime is in the moments the computer is booting up. Never heard or read this before. Hope this might help someone.
Check your grounds people as I have advised, and then if that doesn't cure the problem, it has to be an ECU problem, which is unfortunately a costly repair unless covered under warranty. Although for those of you with higher miles below 60,000 I believe it would be considered under the POWERTRAIN aspect of the warranty.

Quick Reply: 2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement