Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2020, 9:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement

This topic concerns my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT. I wanted to reach out far and wide and see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

Back on January 13, I experienced this issue the first time. Here is a "copy and paste" of the same description that I have provided to the dealership where the vehicle presently sits as well as on other forums:

Drove to a destination this evening where the vehicle was parked for approximately 45 minutes. Upon getting back in and started the engine, I noticed that my gauge cluster was totally black. Similar to how it looks if you use the remote start, but I did not, as I had used the start button on the dash. So, I pressed the start button a second time, and the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC system illuminated. However, immediately, I received a warning on the dash indicating that "steering assist is reduced, drive with care." I did not have any power steering what so ever. I also noticed that my headlights were not on, even though automatic lamps was enabled. I could turn the headlights on manually, but the automatic lamps function was not turning them on. Additionally, the heated seats would not work. Worst of all, when I shifted into either drive or reverse, I got no power to the wheels. The vehicle would just roll as if it was in neutral, and I could not leave my parking space.

I tried restarting a couple of times and the same outcome resulted each and every time.

So, to recap, what did I notice that did not work?

1) After engine started, the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC controls were dark until start button was pressed a second time.
2) Tachometer reads nothing.
3) Oil pressure reads nothing.
4) Coolant temperature reads incorrectly.
5) No power steering with warning message on dash for “reduced steering assist.”
6) Stabili-Trac warning light steadily on.
7) No forward or reverse transmission gears.
8) No automatic headlights, but can be turned on manually.
9) No heated seats.

For the past few weeks I have also noticed that occasionally I would have to press the start button on the dash a second time in order to get the vehicle to start. This may be unrelated, but is worth mentioning. Additionally, there have been a couple of times where the vehicle’s starter seemed to hesitate while cranking, and/or would cut out briefly and restart again.

Lastly, I was just in last week for my rain sensing wipers, and was told that a new sensor had to be ordered.

I also have video footage of last night’s events that detail quite well what I was experiencing. Please contact me to see.

LINK TO VIDEO:

Unfortunately, as much as I figured since the dealership claimed they didn't find anything out of ordinary the first time it was in on January 13th, I experienced the exact same set of symptoms yesterday on February 21st. However, this time, I restarted the vehicle a couple of times and was able to get all of the electronics back to normal, which was when I was able to drive to the dealership, rather than wait on a tow.

Since there are no codes stored, I am not confident in a suitable long term being performed, once again. Obviously, the TSB # 18-NA-161 that they performed back in mid January did nothing. Which of course it didn't because they claimed to not find anything out of the ordinary back then either.

Has anyone else with a Silverado or Sierra experienced anything like this? Obviously, TSB # 18-NA-161 does contain some of the symptoms I am experiencing but definitely not all of them. I am having many more electrical failures than what is listed in this TSB.

The dealership where it sits again claims that they might be contacting General Motors for assistance, but my confidence in a solid repair is even lower than it was the last time it was given back to me. "Could not duplicate customer concern" as usual.
Old February 23rd, 2020, 9:21 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BlaineBug
The dealership where it sits again claims that they might be contacting General Motors for assistance, but my confidence in a solid repair is even lower than it was the last time it was given back to me.
When the dealer told me that "they had absolutely no idea what was wrong" when my sunroof on our 2005 Yukon periodically would not close, they claimed they "contacted headquarters" too. Anyway, turns out they had no idea at all, finally refunded my money from the non-repair, and I removed the fuse so the sunroof would stay closed.
I sure hope your experience is better, really made me question such "competence".
Old February 23rd, 2020, 9:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cusser
When the dealer told me that "they had absolutely no idea what was wrong" when my sunroof on our 2005 Yukon periodically would not close, they claimed they "contacted headquarters" too. Anyway, turns out they had no idea at all, finally refunded my money from the non-repair, and I removed the fuse so the sunroof would stay closed.
I sure hope your experience is better, really made me question such "competence".
I too have been in contact with a "Chevrolet Executive Resolution Liaison" for about the past 6 weeks, since the first non-repair which I had zero confidence in, which proved rightfully so. It has been an utterly worthless discussion with corporate. This "liaison" doesn't seem to know anything about car tech nor does it appear they have read the many things I have sent them, nor do they understand what I am telling them when we talk on the phone. Apparently they have called the dealership a couple of times to "discuss" what repairs have been done, reassuring me that everything will be alright. And the dealership service executives's main goal is BS and customer placation. All talk and no walk.

I haven't heard back from the corporate liaison since I called and left a message on Friday, informing them of the great news of the reoccurring symptoms.
Old March 4th, 2020, 5:52 PM
CF Junior Member

I still do not have my Yukon back after nearly two weeks, but the ECM has been replaced at the advisement of GM TAC. I really do hope that this fixes the problem but I'm not all that convinced, as the issue never surfaced under the technician's watch. It seems to me that this may be an educated guess. I can't say for sure. I suppose I'll report back if and when the same issue reappears in the future.
Old March 4th, 2020, 5:55 PM
CF Pro Member

I hope that takes care of it; but he really only "threw a part at it", maybe an educated guess, but still a guess. But at least you didn't have to pay for his guess if that's not it.

I hope dealership provided a loaner vehicle. Two weeks is a long time.
Old March 4th, 2020, 6:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I am fortunate to have a courtesy vehicle from the dealership considering that I did not purchase it there. Almost 2 weeks this time and 3 days the first time back in January. I am in a 2020 GMC Terrain at the moment which is decent. The first time was a 2020 Buick Encore which was a clown car to say the least. But since it's free I can't complain.

I was asking the service adviser more about the issue an they said all they had to go off of was a "generic code" that pointed to a loss of communication with the ECM. On another forum I was talking with a GM technician and he said that they should be able to provide me a printout that would tell exactly which module was throwing the code, but for whatever reason, the dealership wouldn't give it to me.

The service adviser's main goal seems to placate the customer rather than deal with specific technical questions, that's what it seems to me.

I am nearly out of my factory bumper to bumper warranty but I would hope, that if the issue shows up again, that it would be covered. Am I right in that "educated guess" of my own?
Old March 5th, 2020, 6:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by BlaineBug
I am nearly out of my factory bumper to bumper warranty but I would hope, that if the issue shows up again, that it would be covered. Am I right in that "educated guess" of my own?
Any issues that develop during the warranty period are covered after the so-called warranty period ends. I'm not saying that a dealership will come right and and tell you this, so you better keep your own written documentation of such issues. There are U.S. laws detailing this, but I can't remember exactly what they are called.
Old March 5th, 2020, 7:47 AM
CF Junior Member

That is good. There is also no worry in regards to my organization with plentiful documentation.
Old March 9th, 2020, 1:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Got my Yukon back today after 17 days. The ECM was replaced as previously noted, but one additional item that was found was that ground #141 was found to be full of undercoating. I'm not exactly sure what that means or where that ground is but it was my understanding that the frames were waxed. Regardless, I'm not sure why they are still mentioning TSB 18-NA-161 which is what they supposedly completed the first time in January.

Still mentioning that the only code found was U0100 for "loss of communication with the ECM." It was from the advisement of GM TAS that the ECM be replaced, so that's what they did.

The following users liked this post:
repairman54 (April 17th, 2020)
Old April 16th, 2020, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same with my truck. No power steering and no reverse on start up. 2019 Chevy 1500. Turn off wait 10 min start again everything works. Happened about 6 times in 5 months. Have not gone to dealer,
The following users liked this post:
BlaineBug (April 16th, 2020)

Quick Reply: 2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement