Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2022, 10:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Not all service agencies have a tech that likes electrical/electronic problems.

Sometimes Benji gets the bear and sometimes the bear gets Benji.
When we get a series of problems , we usually look (on a wiring diagram) for what the systems /problems share regarding power and grounds.
Something that just seems to escape diagnosing and checking is ,,,,,,,looking at connections does NOTHING. They have to be removed , cleaned and reinstalled and protected from future corrosion. This IS time consuming, and is often worth the trouble. When some folks have no idea of what is causing the problem , they just throw parts at it and sometimes, moving poor connections that make it seem like the part replaced was defective.
Today's vehicles have more electronics on them than the first rocket that went to the moon and can develop problems much easier due to the environment in which they operate. Good shops are not always that easy to find, but if you find one consider yourself fortunate.
The following users liked this post:
BlaineBug (December 11th, 2022)
Old December 11th, 2022, 10:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanky
Not all service agencies have a tech that likes electrical/electronic problems.

Sometimes Benji gets the bear and sometimes the bear gets Benji.
When we get a series of problems , we usually look (on a wiring diagram) for what the systems /problems share regarding power and grounds.
Something that just seems to escape diagnosing and checking is ,,,,,,,looking at connections does NOTHING. They have to be removed , cleaned and reinstalled and protected from future corrosion. This IS time consuming, and is often worth the trouble. When some folks have no idea of what is causing the problem , they just throw parts at it and sometimes, moving poor connections that make it seem like the part replaced was defective.
Today's vehicles have more electronics on them than the first rocket that went to the moon and can develop problems much easier due to the environment in which they operate. Good shops are not always that easy to find, but if you find one consider yourself fortunate.
No kidding, which is why I feel that 100% electric vehicles will be a costly time-bomb the longer one owns them. Will electric vehicles be around as reliable transportation for 20+ years? 30?
Old December 11th, 2022, 10:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

If we are having problems getting electrical problems repaired today, wonder how many places will be able to handle these problems with electrical vehicles up the road.

Picture this ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a gasoline powered vehicle driving through a flooded road, people do this!! What happens when that salted water gets to the 600 volts of an electric vehicle? Maybe they have accounted for this, don't know.
BlaineBug (December 11th, 2022)
Old December 11th, 2022, 11:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by hanky
If we are having problems getting electrical problems repaired today, wonder how many places will be able to handle these problems with electrical vehicles up the road.

Picture this ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a gasoline powered vehicle driving through a flooded road, people do this!! What happens when that salted water gets to the 600 volts of an electric vehicle? Maybe they have accounted for this, don't know.
Quite a few saltwater flooded EVs have melted down. Oh and the vehicle manufacturers would just prefer you trade in your car which has issues at an extreme monetary loss and finance a new one at a newly inflated price, as always. Maybe there will be a 30 year mortgage for vehicle purchases, coming soon!
Old February 2nd, 2023, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlaineBug
Check your grounds people as I have advised, and then if that doesn't cure the problem, it has to be an ECU problem, which is unfortunately a costly repair unless covered under warranty. Although for those of you with higher miles below 60,000 I believe it would be considered under the POWERTRAIN aspect of the warranty.
I have the same issues, happens very infrequently in the extreme version, but get a double start or other weird starting issues from time to time. Happened the first time at 36,034 miles. 34 miles past warranty and happens so infrequently that I haven't done anything other than I cleaned the ground connection you reference. I came across a TSB that I think my actually be the root cause: https://www.tsbsearch.com/GMC/20-NA-212
BlaineBug (February 2nd, 2023)
Old February 2nd, 2023, 1:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by curlytone
I have the same issues, happens very infrequently in the extreme version, but get a double start or other weird starting issues from time to time. Happened the first time at 36,034 miles. 34 miles past warranty and happens so infrequently that I haven't done anything other than I cleaned the ground connection you reference. I came across a TSB that I think my actually be the root cause: https://www.tsbsearch.com/GMC/20-NA-212
That is an interesting TSB and I see that it was published in October of 2020, 7-ish months after I received my truck back after having the PCM replaced.

I am not sure about the data pins being bent, that was never mentioned in my warranty repair, however it seems as though this TSB focuses on updating some module first rather than going to straight into searching for bent pins.
Old September 2nd, 2023, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical issues

This topic concerns my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT. I wanted to reach out far and wide and see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

Back on January 13, I experienced this issue the first time. Here is a "copy and paste" of the same description that I have provided to the dealership where the vehicle presently sits as well as on other forums:

Drove to a destination this evening where the vehicle was parked for approximately 45 minutes. Upon getting back in and started the engine, I noticed that my gauge cluster was totally black. Similar to how it looks if you use the remote start, but I did not, as I had used the start button on the dash. So, I pressed the start button a second time, and the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC system illuminated. However, immediately, I received a warning on the dash indicating that "steering assist is reduced, drive with care." I did not have any power steering what so ever. I also noticed that my headlights were not on, even though automatic lamps was enabled. I could turn the headlights on manually, but the automatic lamps function was not turning them on. Additionally, the heated seats would not work. Worst of all, when I shifted into either drive or reverse, I got no power to the wheels. The vehicle would just roll as if it was in neutral, and I could not leave my parking space.

I tried restarting a couple of times and the same outcome resulted each and every time.

So, to recap, what did I notice that did not work?

1) After engine started, the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC controls were dark until start button was pressed a second time.
2) Tachometer reads nothing.
3) Oil pressure reads nothing.
4) Coolant temperature reads incorrectly.
5) No power steering with warning message on dash for “reduced steering assist.”
6) Stabili-Trac warning light steadily on.
7) No forward or reverse transmission gears.
8) No automatic headlights, but can be turned on manually.
9) No heated seats.

For the past few weeks I have also noticed that occasionally I would have to press the start button on the dash a second time in order to get the vehicle to start. This may be unrelated, but is worth mentioning. Additionally, there have been a couple of times where the vehicle’s starter seemed to hesitate while cranking, and/or would cut out briefly and restart again.

Lastly, I was just in last week for my rain sensing wipers, and was told that a new sensor had to be ordered.

I also have video footage of last night’s events that detail quite well what I was experiencing. Please contact me to see.

LINK TO VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31w2FEdZuT4

Unfortunately, as much as I figured since the dealership claimed they didn't find anything out of ordinary the first time it was in on January 13th, I experienced the exact same set of symptoms yesterday on February 21st. However, this time, I restarted the vehicle a couple of times and was able to get all of the electronics back to normal, which was when I was able to drive to the dealership, rather than wait on a tow.

Since there are no codes stored, I am not confident in a suitable long term being performed, once again. Obviously, the TSB # 18-NA-161 that they performed back in mid January did nothing. Which of course it didn't because they claimed to not find anything out of the ordinary back then either.

Has anyone else with a Silverado or Sierra experienced anything like this? Obviously, TSB # 18-NA-161 does contain some of the symptoms I am experiencing but definitely not all of them. I am having many more electrical failures than what is listed in this TSB.
Of
The dealership where it sits again claims that they might be contacting General Motors for assistance, but my confidence in a solid repair is even lower than it was the last time it was given back to me. "Could not duplicate customer concern" as usual.
Check the ground behind the right front wheel goes from the frame to the body. It’s easily seen there rotting off lost my power, steering and threw trailer brake code reinstalled, a coated cable to keep the problem from reoccurring 43,000 miles on my 2019 Silverado I’ll show you

a picture if I can
this problem should probably be started on a thread of its own. I’m afraid this is going to happen to all northern vehicles were salt is used on the road. It’s so exposed

Last edited by No2plastic; September 2nd, 2023 at 5:40 PM.
mountainmanjoe (September 2nd, 2023)
Old September 2nd, 2023, 5:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by No2plastic
It’s easily seen there rotting off
Nice. You captured a perfect photo of a common problem.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by No2plastic
Check the ground behind the right front wheel goes from the frame to the body. It’s easily seen there rotting off lost my power, steering and threw trailer brake code reinstalled, a coated cable to keep the problem from reoccurring 43,000 miles on my 2019 Silverado I’ll show you

a picture if I can
this problem should probably be started on a thread of its own. I’m afraid this is going to happen to all northern vehicles were salt is used on the road. It’s so exposed
I have been hearing about that problem but so far it only seems to target the 2019+ truck models specifically for whatever reason.

However this grounding strap WAS mentioned by the technician back in March 2020 when they replaced my ECU - he mentioned that he found this ground to be "caked with undercoating" and cleaned the connection. When I got the vehicle back I checked out this connection, cleaned it up even better than the technician did (half-assed attempt) and then painted it over with black spray paint. My braided ground strap was not deteriorating in any way, however.
Old September 8th, 2023, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad ground

This topic concerns my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT. I wanted to reach out far and wide and see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

Back on January 13, I experienced this issue the first time. Here is a "copy and paste" of the same description that I have provided to the dealership where the vehicle presently sits as well as on other forums:

Drove to a destination this evening where the vehicle was parked for approximately 45 minutes. Upon getting back in and started the engine, I noticed that my gauge cluster was totally black. Similar to how it looks if you use the remote start, but I did not, as I had used the start button on the dash. So, I pressed the start button a second time, and the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC system illuminated. However, immediately, I received a warning on the dash indicating that "steering assist is reduced, drive with care." I did not have any power steering what so ever. I also noticed that my headlights were not on, even though automatic lamps was enabled. I could turn the headlights on manually, but the automatic lamps function was not turning them on. Additionally, the heated seats would not work. Worst of all, when I shifted into either drive or reverse, I got no power to the wheels. The vehicle would just roll as if it was in neutral, and I could not leave my parking space.

I tried restarting a couple of times and the same outcome resulted each and every time.

So, to recap, what did I notice that did not work?

1) After engine started, the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC controls were dark until start button was pressed a second time.
2) Tachometer reads nothing.
3) Oil pressure reads nothing.
4) Coolant temperature reads incorrectly.
5) No power steering with warning message on dash for “reduced steering assist.”
6) Stabili-Trac warning light steadily on.
7) No forward or reverse transmission gears.
8) No automatic headlights, but can be turned on manually.
9) No heated seats.

For the past few weeks I have also noticed that occasionally I would have to press the start button on the dash a second time in order to get the vehicle to start. This may be unrelated, but is worth mentioning. Additionally, there have been a couple of times where the vehicle’s starter seemed to hesitate while cranking, and/or would cut out briefly and restart again.

Lastly, I was just in last week for my rain sensing wipers, and was told that a new sensor had to be ordered.

I also have video footage of last night’s events that detail quite well what I was experiencing. Please contact me to see.

LINK TO VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31w2FEdZuT4

Unfortunately, as much as I figured since the dealership claimed they didn't find anything out of ordinary the first time it was in on January 13th, I experienced the exact same set of symptoms yesterday on February 21st. However, this time, I restarted the vehicle a couple of times and was able to get all of the electronics back to normal, which was when I was able to drive to the dealership, rather than wait on a tow.

Since there are no codes stored, I am not confident in a suitable long term being performed, once again. Obviously, the TSB # 18-NA-161 that they performed back in mid January did nothing. Which of course it didn't because they claimed to not find anything out of the ordinary back then either.

Has anyone else with a Silverado or Sierra experienced anything like this? Obviously, TSB # 18-NA-161 does contain some of the symptoms I am experiencing but definitely not all of them. I am having many more electrical failures than what is listed in this TSB.

The dealership where it sits again claims that they might be contacting General Motors for assistance, but my confidence in a solid repair is even lower than it was the last time it was given back to me. "Could not duplicate customer concern" as usual.
look at my post in 2019 Silverado- electric steering loss

Last edited by No2plastic; September 8th, 2023 at 1:40 PM. Reason: Add pic

Quick Reply: 2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement