Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2019 Tahoe Towing Guidence

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2021, 5:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by baare657
It does, immensely. I believe it's a class 4 (10K GTW, 1K tongue) hitch.
This was just an experiment, I have only recently started looking, so I just picked one and went from there. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and knowledge.

To be clear, is tongue weight included in the GCWR "capacity' calculation?
I've only seen it included in the vehicle GVWR equations.

Google calculators vary fairly widely, BUT all of the consistently show that for this testcase I am beyond the capabilities (or far too close to the limit) of the Tahoe.
It looks like I need to look closer at something with a dry weight below 4K If we want to use the Tahoe, purchase a dedicated towing vehicle.

One more thing that popped up is the effect wheel base and trailer length have on stability. Brake controller, weight distribution hitch and sway control seem to be a must. I think the wheelbase is 116". Do you factor in the wheelbase in selecting a trailer length?
No, the tongue weight isn't factored in in those equations.

Repairman is spot on in regards to braking. Most vehicles can pull well more than what the vehicle is rated to tow. It's the stopping that is a b&$$&*$. A brake controller is a good idea. I don't tow much so I never had one installed. The nice thing about them is you can activate the trailer brakes without using the truck brakes - can come in handy if the trailer begins to sway.

As he also posted, I would only use a bumper hitch for light loads. Fortunately, my Ram has a factory installed Class IV hitch.

Regarding the trailer, does your Tahoe have the 4 pin or 7 pin connections? You'll need the 7 pin to handle a 2 axle trailer (to use the trailer brakes). Also, depending on the state, 2 axle trailers may have to pass a safety inspection. I'm in VA so in addition to the safety inspection, the trailer has to have a "break away" switch that automatically activates the trailer's brakes in the event the trailer separates from the tow vehicle and breaks the safety chains. Statistically, it's an unlikely event, but that's what it is. Friend of mine has a flat bed 2 axle trailer he purchased in TN (break away switch not required) and his trailer won't pass inspection until a break away switch is added.

Sway bars are definitely a good idea. I have never towed a camper, only flat bed trailers and have no experience with the sway bars.