Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2021, 12:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE = frontera2021; 465919] Se encendieron las luces de servicio ESC, control de tracción y suspensión de servicio, junto con Check Engine. Fuertes golpes en el motor, suenan y siento como si de repente tuviera un freno de motor, y el cambio descendente fue todo inestable. Muy duro inactivo. Lo llevé directamente al distribuidor que compré en (Maryland), el tipo de servicio dijo "oh, probablemente es solo una cosa de computadora", pero me cuesta creer eso. Calculo 2 semanas como mínimo, pero al menos me consiguieron un alquiler. Coche de $ 80k, que ni siquiera tiene 6 meses. Increíblemente frustrante. (Y este es mi segundo suburbano, los compro porque los necesito -. Múltiples niños, perros múltiples, un montón de remolque) [/ quote]

Hello, good afternoon everyone. I am a girl who likes to know everything about cars, what I can tell you about the problem that her work has, regardless of whether it has 1000 miles or 100,000, is that it is electric, then the resistance and everything you have to do. see with that it will begin to fail when you make a turn when you do a board repeatedly on some occasions the truck will defend itself and it will protect itself.Then it is when they have to find a way to reset the computer and disconnect the Battery the negative cable for about 15 minutes, the first 10 minutes you have to put the lights on so that this can work. or they can take it to the dealer but it is not really necessary there is also a program that you can download on your computer connect it to the truck and reprogram it yourself is completely easy
It is also important that they check the Prefuse Center, it is something that is above the battery, check that everything is connected well that it is not dirty or loose, because that is where all our security of our truck comes from when handling those fuses are what They make us that the truck does not work that the power stering stops working, that those that turn off when it is on the road, etc. Thank you, I'll post photos 😎

Old June 24th, 2021, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchdad
Same with my 2021 Tahoe HC(6.2 engine) lifter and lifter rod on cylinder 5, less then 8000 miles. Happened while on short vacation. May 6. No loaner or rental provided. Already more then 15 days out of service. Dealer had to wait 8 full days before they received all needed parts from GM parts warehouse. Now more then 15 days out of service and that means under Florida lemon law rules one has to send certified notice to Chevrolet , which I did today. That start the lemon law process. Realize this might be a redesigned engine but the service mechanic was very surprised to see that the lifter came apart rather then broke. When putting engine back together they found the lifter rod on same cylinder 5 to be slightly bend. All in all a disappointing experience after more then 15 GM cars and truck with never any mechanical breakdowns.

Now it is May 24 and car was ready they said. Go there, found out they test drove it 20 miles, we go on freeway home from Ravenel SC to Florida. 68 miles later on Highway 95 same problem same indicators. Had long talk on phone with GM road assistance for hrs. Finally towed to a chev dealer in Bluffton. They were absolutely not interested to help us get wheels to go home as car could not be driven. they were of no help at all. we were "trip interuption" customer and that would not result in constant revenue for them as we are not a local customer. Just too much trouble for them I assume. Family from CHS SC send rescue truck and trailer and we drove car home and will deliver to hometown chev dealer here in New Smyrna Beach. Have also had long text conversation with GM customer assistance center. They have the whole story. At this point I want a new car or at least a new engine. Do no know yet if it is the same cylinder or another. In mean time also I assume the engine has additional damage because it seem to burn oil heavily. All in all not happy. Will update for you all, after we have it inspected by home town dealer.

Well here is the rest of the story; When I told my hometown dealer that I was convinced the same lifter lifter rod problem occurred on the other side of my engine, they looked like Oooh sure yet another customer that thinks he knows engines. Today they called me and confirmed that indeed the same problem occurred but now on the opposite side of where the first lifter lifter rod problem happened.
Will see what they and GM decide to do. Repair or replace the engine. I have already 23 days out of service under the Florida lemon law rules. If I reach 30 calendar days, under Florida lemon law we have a certified lemon on our hands. I would consider a lemon engine not the car. Also on top of the lifter problem there is probably a problem with the fuel injector(s), as after we pulled of the freeway and kept the engine idling to charge our phones while in talk with GM Road Assistance person. Suddenly the engine shut down and when restarted again, tremendous smoke came out of the tailpipe smelling like burning oil. Will update this story when we have more info on the decision between GM and our dealer and myself with GM Customer Assistance center.
Pending the outcome I will contact the NHTSA and let them know my opinion that this engine is a safety hazard on the road, especially on the highway. Accidents happen quickly if there is a car with this engine suddenly developing engine failure on a busy Highway with all cars running 70 miles per hour.!
On May 29 informed NHTSB by means of online form about my safety concerns with this lifter/rod issue on the 6.2 engines in 2021 Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado. Gave them all reports from first repair dealer and pictures of the bend rod and lifter that came apart. Will see what they do with this info. I mentioned this website as a source of info on previous cases of this problem.
June 2 update: just learned from our hometown dealer that based on their damage report to GM, GM decided to replace the engine. My dealer took the whole engine apart and discovered that there was damage to the bushings and the camshaft due to fact that when the lifters failed the pistols hit the open valves and damaged to bushings and camshaft. This means that the dealer in SC on the first failure never went deep enough into the engine to check the bushings and camshaft. I am glad my talk with my dealer convinced them to keep digging and make sure there was no other damage then the lifters and the lifter rods. Now I will have to wait a couple of days for the new engine to come in. I am happy engine problem solved correctly by means of a new engine. Was informed that the new engine will have the redesigned lifters so we can drive the car with confidence again.
UPDATE; finally the new engine showed up after 8 days and then it took till June 23 for the service department to exchange the engines. The mechanics told me they also found metal shavings in the crank shaft and in the oil filter and oil.
We have under the Florida lemon law a lemon car, but after talking to Attorney generals office here in Florida and the owner of the dealership we decided to not go that route. The owner ordered a new Tahoe this one with the 3 Ltr Diesel engine rather then the problem 6.2 Gasoline engine. Now e are awaiting when the new car will be produced. Dealer will take our car back and gives us loaner till new Tahoe shows up. That is customer service from my dealer ship. The issue of cost compensation from GM Roadside assistance is a real struggle. Feels like the insurance companies that make it hard and difficult and very slow to deal with. My open case with GM customer assistance center has had also problems. Their text system has been failing since Jun 3, so now e are back to email communication that does not seem to go any much further at this time. Over all I am very pleased with my dealer but deeply disappointed in what GM/Chevrolet customer service is providing, helping etc etc. One suggestion for people in the Bluffton, Hardeville area of SC, avoid your Chevrolet dealer there, they are useless and do not want to help people that have trip interruption issues like ours that come of the freeway. They do not earn anything on warranty work and we would not have been a revenue producing customer in their area. They made that very clear by the way they treated us. They basically ignored us and were hoping we would disappear. As mentioned above it was Family from Charleston Sc that came to the rescue. That Bluffton Dealer is a rotten apple in the Chevrolet dealer system.

Old June 24th, 2021, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, service manager of Chevrolet called and said my Suburban WAAS ready... but it was in an accident on their lot. A delivery truck hit it. Another 2 weeks now for body shop repair. What should I be doing? I'm going to start asking for diminished value now this is a joke. The Nissian Armada rental is lame... that car sells for as much as a Suburban and feels like a cheap tin can.

Last edited by Texas_Signmaker; June 24th, 2021 at 7:45 PM.
Old June 25th, 2021, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Morning, that really blows having your vehicle hit in the dealers parking lot. I think I would have come unglued.

With respect to the Armada, we are driving a Hyundai Kona - geez, I pity the people who are suckered into this piece on wheels. GM Customer Service said our Tahoe should be hopefully ready today (6/25/2021) after being at the dealers since 6/9/2021. We are getting a new engine - let's see how long this one lasts.

At least GM/Chevrolet isn't the only ones catching heat for vehicle issues, unfortunately going in another direction with a different manufacturer is venturing into the unknown defect territory as well. We enjoy our Tahoe - when we have it.

Update: Friday 6/25/2021 4:15P, service closes at 6:00, looks like we get the keep the Hyundai Kona for a few more days. My wife drove it on errands today, she remarked about it being a "gutless wonder". I used my 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 today, nice to have some git-up-n-go when you stepped on the right pedal. However, I'm waiting for the lifter(s) to let go on it. 19k so far and no issues.

Stay safe, stay healthy. These inconveniences in life are minor when compared to the overall grand scheme of things. Keep smiling, it will make them wonder what you are up to

6/26/2021 Update: We got the Tahoe back this morning with the new engine. The fuel level was on "RED ALERT" - about out of gas. I suspect they performed the "run-in" procedure - 1800RPM for 4.5 hours. The 20 mile trip back home was totally uneventful. For the inconvenience the dealership also covered one month car payment which I appreciate. So, as of this writing we are back in the Tahoe with a brand new engine

Last edited by Blindbaby; June 26th, 2021 at 5:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Guido79 (March 21st, 2024)
Old June 25th, 2021, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same thing happened to my 2021 suburban with 3,800 miles.

Originally Posted by Louis Porter
My 2021 suburban with 3000 miles collapsed lifter bent pushrods. Would u except new lifters and push rods or would u want a new motor
new engine. My car broke down 1000 miles from home no rentals available I had to buy another used suburban to bring everyone home.
Old June 26th, 2021, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought washer Jones waycross ga 2021 Tahoe I think mines doing same thing

im so upset $80,000 for Tahoe barely 3000 mikes sounds like mine is doing the same thing

QUOTE=rbacon;465945]We are experiencing the same issues. I emailed GM imtoday. This is the main part of the email I sent them:

We purchased it from Woody Folsom in Baxley, Ga and have had issues with the engine (lifters and rods) which probably doesn’t surprise you. We drove the Tahoe to Woody Folsom’s on May 21, 2021 to get the needed repairs. We were called on June 4, 2021 to inform us our vehicle was repaired and ready for us to pick up. We drove 40 miles to Woody Folsom’s to pick up our Tahoe and didn’t make it out of the parking lot without noticing that it was not repaired correctly. The engine light came on along with a service esc, traction control and a collision control lights came on. The truck also has a vibration. All of this was noticed in the parking lot of the dealership. No lights were on when we dropped it off. It’s almost as if they made no effort to make sure our vehicle was truly ready to be picked up. Why would you not drive a vehicle that is under warranty to make sure the necessary repairs were made? The vehicle may be in worse condition after having the repairs done. Motor issues and 3 recalls makes me question General Motors integrity and dependability. I’m beginning to wonder if we have a purchased a lemon. This Tahoe is my wife and 3 kids primary transportation to work and school. I work out of town a lot and shouldn’t have to worry if our brand new Tahoe is going to be reliable and get them to where they need to be. My wife and I are at a crossroads of how to proceed with this. I am beginning to think that we should have the dealership buy it back or hope that it tears up within the Lemon Law guidelines. We want this resolved!! We are beyond frustrated!![/QUOTE]
Old June 26th, 2021, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Some thoughts on the collapsed lifter issue

Being part of this thread and reflecting back, reading other’s comments I start to ponder the root cause. Although we will never know I suspect one of two things:
1.The design of the lifter is a new design. The DFM system is fairly new, probably coming into service about 2019. If this is the case I am highly positive the design was validated through testing. But sometimes flaws don’t surface right away. We may be seeing flaws that rear their ugly head only after some service life.

2. The lifter suppler produced a HUGE batch of lifters. One of two possibilities in bad manufacturing or bad design (incorrect tolerances, material specifications, …). Maybe both together. Low bidder syndrome.

Either case GM knows they have a serious problem. It’s not happening on every vehicle, apparently on both sides of the engines, from reports here and other bulletin boards it’s typically only one cylinder that is affected. GM is fixing the affected engines by either part replacement or by engine replacement. My concern for those with part replacement will it happen again on a different cylinder(s). Engine replacement should have engineering change (EC) level parts in them - at least I would hope so.

It’s forums like this that keep people informed and up to date. The greatest tool you can have is knowledge. With knowledge your negotiation position is much stronger than not having a clue. Think about the poor old sods who have experienced this but are totally oblivious to the magnitude of the problem.

To an end, people need to keep pressure on GM, document, document, document. Push the service centers for details on the failure, get pictures of the failed parts if possible. Don’t back down, your hard earned money is invested in these vehicles, but along with that, please be reasonable.

Okay enough of my thoughts, if you made it this far please know there is light at the end of the tunnel. Also, if this is the worst that has happened in your life you are living a blessed life. Stay safe, stay healthy.
repairman54 (June 27th, 2021)
Old June 26th, 2021, 7:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

afm has been used on gm trucks since 2007. The early models did not have this problem until much later in life. Not sure what is different between the 2 models. They are running much thinner viscosity oil in the new engines??

At this point gm engineering has inspected the returned failed parts and are building a fix.

my take, its a warning not to buy any newly designed model until it has been out for at least 3 years....any Manufacturer not just gm.
repairman54 (June 27th, 2021)
Old June 27th, 2021, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
afm has been used on gm trucks since 2007. The early models did not have this problem until much later in life. Not sure what is different between the 2 models. They are running much thinner viscosity oil in the new engines??

At this point gm engineering has inspected the returned failed parts and are building a fix.

my take, its a warning not to buy any newly designed model until it has been out for at least 3 years....any Manufacturer not just gm.
The "original" AFM can be over ridden with a $200 module (2007 - 2018). The reading I have done indicated the "2nd generation" DFM implemented in apparently 2019 is more difficult to override. The 2020 & 2021 models with the 10 speed xmsn cannot be overridden at the present time. It appears the failed lifters being seen affect a multitude of the 5.3 & 6.2 engines since 2019 hence the service bulletin to address the situation. Add to this broken valve springs. Valve springs I would attribute to a bad heat treat, whether by specification or error on the part of the spring manufacturer ( I would suspect the former rather than the latter). Again it typically only affects one cylinder much like what I think we are seeing with the collapsed lifter situation.

The lower viscosity oil may definitely be a contributing factor. Because the engines are running hotter they are using the oil to help remove some of the heat. But then thicker isn't always better. You have to look at the bearing clearances and the dynamic wedge of the oil between the bearings and corresponding journals - rotational resistance.

Many moons ago Saab's 4 & 6 cylinder engines were suffering catastrophic failures at relatively low miles. Sludge was the culprit, sludge would occlude the oil pick-up thereby starving the engine of oil. From there all goes down hill quickly. Saab was saying oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals. the problem is the soccer moms would do short putts in the car never getting the oil hot. Soccer dads would follow the manufacturers recommendations on oil changes. Saab replaced a bunch of engines and extended the engine warranty. The 9-5 Aero I had was driven at least 25 to 40 miles each way to work. At 100,000 miles I borescoped the oil pick-up - one tiny piece of carbon, lower half was spotless. Now I am not saying sludge is the issue - at 3000 miles there damned better not be any sludge, if there is a much more serious problem is at hand. The Saab reference is strictly that - reference.

Maybe not getting the oil hot is a contributing factor - pure speculation not based on any fact. Fortunately our dealer gives a lifetime warranty on engine and driveline - as long as they do the maintenance. So if this rears its ugly head again, "Handle it. handle it".

As I previously mentioned "knowledge is power" and this bulletin board is a great source of information. Now back to our regularly scheduled insanity. Se safe, be healthy!
tech2 (June 27th, 2021)
Old June 28th, 2021, 8:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Range AFM delete module has been in my '11 5.3 since I bought it used with 35k miles on it. Now at 125k miles and no issues (knock on wood) and always as been on full synthetic oils since coming into my care.
I read about the AFM lifter issues here, cost of the module was cheap insurance in my book as I'm taking my Tahoe to at least 200k miles.

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles