Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2021, 6:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same story!

I hate to say it, but exact same situation with my wife's 2021 Tahoe we purchased at the start of January. Wife and son were driving on highway when traction control light and emissions systems lights came on along with low engine power/rough engine. She was able to get it back home without full power etc. and we had it towed to dealer. Told next day bent pushrod on intake valve on cylinder 6. Took approximately 1.5 weeks to get fixed because parts were difficult to locate. No loaner or rental. Driving to the beach this week for summer vacation, hope we don't have the same problem with the other bank of lifters . . . not a great feeling to wonder if your new car will make it to the beach or if it will breakdown on the way with a whole family's worth of gear packed in the back and bikes on the trailer hitch.
Old June 7th, 2021, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

2021 Tahoe with 7K miles. Chevy would only replace the malfunctioning lifter. No rental to fit size of family but did offer $40/day towards rental when I pushed. No trust this vehicle at all.
Old June 9th, 2021, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2021 RST Silverado 5.3 Z71 truck 8124 miles. Driving early in the morning to a State Park to go camping. Right outside a medium size town truck starts to miss out, all the warning lights start coming on(Service ESC, Parking Brake Failure). Flashing engine icon and traction control icon. I limp into the town and go to Chevrolet Dealership. I tell the Service Rep what is going on and ask him if they've been seeing this issue....he is VERY evasive which immediately made me think they're seeing this issue ALOT. No loaner vehicles, had to get a friend I was camping with to come pick me up(3 hour round trip). Called back in the afternoon and rep says I have the push rod issue everyone else is posting about here. I will give the Dealership credit, after I did some serious fussing they fixed my car in two days....from other posts I guess I was really lucky with the time repair length. I did have one issue, when I went to pick up my truck they had lost my fob:-(......luckily I had my extra set or I would have been really screwed! The Dealership still haven't found it.....really builds confidence that they did the complicated work on my engine correctly...right?
Like everyone else I'm bummed about this for the long term implications. I'll keep following this forum to see what outcomes ya'll have with next steps. I've got two long driving trips planned for late summer and fall....I bought this new truck specifically for them so I wouldn't have to worry about car issues.....sadly the vehicle I traded had 80,000 miles and never had ONE mechanical issue!
Old June 9th, 2021, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem, 6000 miles

My 2021 Tahoe started making a weird sound when shifting then it started making a clicking sound. By the time I got it home it was ticking very loudly. The next morning it was knocking, shaking, ESC/Engine/Traction control lights were on. Took it to the dealership last Friday but I haven’t heard anything yet. At first they told me they didn’t have any loaners but after I was home about an hour they called and said that I could come and pick one up. My 2019 Tahoe didn’t give me any problems. Now I feel like I can’t trust the 2021 after I get it back.
Old June 10th, 2021, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Questions about the push rod quality used in these vehicles

I've been working with the dealer where I purchased my 2021 Silverado. As mentioned in a previous post, the truck's bent push rod have been repaired. When I asked the dealer if I should feel comfortable moving forward in the reliability of the truck, the response from the dealer was that Chevrolet "identified the build of lifters that have caused this problem and removed them from stock". This has caused me to even be more concerned for several reasons. 1) I don't think they replaced all the rods in my engine so I the rods from the "bad build" are still there. 2) If Chevrolet has truly identified a batch of rods with a defect why aren't they proactively contacting owners that have vehicles with these rods in them? I assume they have a record of what rods went in each vehicle.

I guess the dealer might have been in error about the flawed rods, but I have their comment in an email so I can definitely prove that is what I was told. Any feedback from this board is appreciated, I'm definitely at the beginning of this process. Thanks!
Old June 10th, 2021, 8:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the lifters, not rods are the faulty part.
its common warranty repair practice to only replace the failed parts. ie. if a exhaust manifold bolts breaks...they replace only the broken ones and reuse the old unbroken ones. Its about $.
if they have collapsed lifters on one bank...only that bank is torn down. the other side may last forever or break the next day....gm only has to worry about it for the warranty period.
The following users liked this post:
txco (June 10th, 2021)
Old June 11th, 2021, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the lifters, not rods are the faulty part.
its common warranty repair practice to only replace the failed parts. ie. if a exhaust manifold bolts breaks...they replace only the broken ones and reuse the old unbroken ones. Its about $.
if they have collapsed lifters on one bank...only that bank is torn down. the other side may last forever or break the next day....gm only has to worry about it for the warranty period.
Thanks for explaining that the "lifters" are the issue. It makes sense that for economic reasons only the broken part would be replaced......but I'm still having an issue with ALL lifters not being replaced when it appears that GM has identified the "faulty build" of the factory installed lifters as being the reason for the failure.
Glad I found this forum, great source of information.
Jonathan F Sweet (June 20th, 2021)
Old June 12th, 2021, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Morning. 2021 Tahoe High Country just shy of 7k, I just gained my membership into the bad lifter club. Tahoe at the dealers for 3 full days and hasn't been looked at. At least they gave me a loaner - first one was a Ram Rebel, no running boards, had to drag myself in and jump out. I have spinal issues so I traded. This ride is a Hyundai Kona - coffin with wheels. Over $80k in the Tahoe and I get to drive a Hyundai Kona, boy howdy I'm a happy camper. Updates as they become available

**Update: Dealer service called, said I was right - collapsed lifter bent push rod. We hopefully will get the Tahoe back on Friday 6/18/2021 with new lifters and one push rod on the right side. Asked what about the left side, service said Chevrolet said to only replace the right side lifters. Now, is it me or does it seem the right side is more affected than the left side??

**Hopefully someone will come up with an override device for the DFM system. I ordered such a device for my 2020 GMC Sierra - to date no issues with it and hopefully they will not rear their ugly head.

Last edited by Blindbaby; June 15th, 2021 at 6:22 PM.
Old June 15th, 2021, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2021 Suburban 5.3 with 4000 miles. Last night I heard some weird clicking sound right before I pulled home..this morning it was clicking, banging, sputtering and shaking with CEL flashing and traction control off. Got it towed to dealership and fought to get the $40 a day rental stipend. We'll see what comes of this but I'm already looking at Ford Expedition because this lifter problem sounds bad. I've owned many Suburbans and Tahoes over the last 15 years...this is a first.
Capunky (June 16th, 2021)
Old June 16th, 2021, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

New to the forum. Wondering what was the outcome after contacting GM.
my 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe at 9,600 miles is in for service (lifters) and has been at the shop for one week today.
i am so unsatisfied with what happen to my brand new car, also the inconvenience it has caused my family of 7. It also took them 3 days for them to offer a loaner car in which my entire family doesn’t fit. This is soo upsetting!

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles