Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2021, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default And it happens AGAIN

After getting lifter replaced at 3800 miles, I’ve got the same problem at 5400. Car towed to Chevy dealer in SC as I was traveling for work. Same problem on same side as previous collapsed lifter. My husband had emailed after first incident and has spoken to Chevrolet since this second incident and are now discussing the buy back. This is RIDICULOUS!!! I absolutely love my car but I cannot trust it nor rely on it. Should we look at other vehicles or take a chance with another Suburban? This car really suits our needs. 😞
The following 2 users liked this post by Lynntak:
Kyle Level (May 17th, 2021), Mando Martinez (June 1st, 2021)
Old May 17th, 2021, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the dealership is taking care of me with loner and says they are also extending my drive chain warranty... How much longer? Not sure yet....but that is the least they should do, and that helps! Cause like your situation I am nervous about it happening again... My Service manager is a friend and says they are replacing the whole side of lifters that it happened on says they sometimes get a bad batch every now and then. So by replacing the whole side that it happened on "should do the trick" THEY SAY??? "TRUST" I LOVE my truck as well, my worst nightmare is it happening twice! Im sorry! If it happened to me twice I would prob want/demand a NEW engine or another suburban. But they prob won't do that. But maybe since its twice..... They should've replaced the whole side the first time..... Maybe they were figuring the prob out back then not sure.... The "Lemon Law" offers protection for buyers of new vehicles and requires that automobile manufacturers either repurchase or replace a vehicle which has defects that impairs its use, value, or safety.This usually means the vehicle has not been successfully repaired within a certain number of repair attempts, or the vehicle has spent an "unreasonable" amount of time in a service shop.

Lemon laws are different in each state, so you need to check and be aware of what your rights are. CarLemon.com provides a nice overview of lemon laws by state.
Old May 17th, 2021, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Mine is 5.3 v-8 z-71 Silverado
Old May 17th, 2021, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Do you know if they fixed only the bad lifter or all the lifters on that side? The first time it happened? unbelievable I had to ask that....lol
Old May 20th, 2021, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2021 Chevy Suburban yesterday had collapsed lifter and my local shop said it may be weeks before they get any parts. I called the dealer in Maryland where I bought the SUV and he said i was his third call of the day with that problem. He said to send him the repair order and he would try and get me some money. I don't want money, I just want my Suburban to last after the warranty runs out. I'm worried that this will happen again.
Old May 20th, 2021, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same with my 2021 Tahoe HC(6.2 engine) lifter and lifter rod on cylinder 5, less then 8000 miles. Happened while on short vacation. May 6. No loaner or rental provided. Already more then 15 days out of service. Dealer had to wait 8 full days before they received all needed parts from GM parts warehouse. Now more then 15 days out of service and that means under Florida lemon law rules one has to send certified notice to Chevrolet , which I did today. That start the lemon law process. Realize this might be a redesigned engine but the service mechanic was very surprised to see that the lifter came apart rather then broke. When putting engine back together they found the lifter rod on same cylinder 5 to be slightly bend. All in all a disappointing experience after more then 15 GM cars and truck with never any mechanical breakdowns.

Now it is May 24 and car was ready they said. Go there, found out they test drove it 20 miles, we go on freeway home from Ravenel SC to Florida. 68 miles later on Highway 95 same problem same indicators. Had long talk on phone with GM road assistance for hrs. Finally towed to a chev dealer in Bluffton. They were absolutely not interested to help us get wheels to go home as car could not be driven. they were of no help at all. we were "trip interuption" customer and that would not result in constant revenue for them as we are not a local customer. Just too much trouble for them I assume. Family from CHS SC send rescue truck and trailer and we drove car home and will deliver to hometown chev dealer here in New Smyrna Beach. Have also had long text conversation with GM customer assistance center. They have the whole story. At this point I want a new car or at least a new engine. Do no know yet if it is the same cylinder or another. In mean time also I assume the engine has additional damage because it seem to burn oil heavily. All in all not happy. Will update for you all, after we have it inspected by home town dealer.

Well here is the rest of the story; When I told my hometown dealer that I was convinced the same lifter lifter rod problem occurred on the other side of my engine, they looked like Oooh sure yet another customer that thinks he knows engines. Today they called me and confirmed that indeed the same problem occurred but now on the opposite side of where the first lifter lifter rod problem happened.
Will see what they and GM decide to do. Repair or replace the engine. I have already 23 days out of service under the Florida lemon law rules. If I reach 30 calendar days, under Florida lemon law we have a certified lemon on our hands. I would consider a lemon engine not the car. Also on top of the lifter problem there is probably a problem with the fuel injector(s), as after we pulled of the freeway and kept the engine idling to charge our phones while in talk with GM Road Assistance person. Suddenly the engine shut down and when restarted again, tremendous smoke came out of the tailpipe smelling like burning oil. Will update this story when we have more info on the decision between GM and our dealer and myself with GM Customer Assistance center.
Pending the outcome I will contact the NHTSA and let them know my opinion that this engine is a safety hazard on the road, especially on the highway. Accidents happen quickly if there is a car with this engine suddenly developing engine failure on a busy Highway with all cars running 70 miles per hour.!
On May 29 informed NHTSB by means of online form about my safety concerns with this lifter/rod issue on the 6.2 engines in 2021 Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado. Gave them all reports from first repair dealer and pictures of the bend rod and lifter that came apart. Will see what they do with this info. I mentioned this website as a source of info on previous cases of this problem.
June 2 update: just learned from our hometown dealer that based on their damage report to GM, GM decided to replace the engine. My dealer took the whole engine apart and discovered that there was damage to the bushings and the camshaft due to fact that when the lifters failed the pistols hit the open valves and damaged to bushings and camshaft. This means that the dealer in SC on the first failure never went deep enough into the engine to check the bushings and camshaft. I am glad my talk with my dealer convinced them to keep digging and make sure there was no other damage then the lifters and the lifter rods. Now I will have to wait a couple of days for the new engine to come in. I am happy engine problem solved correctly by means of a new engine. Was informed that the new engine will have the redesigned lifters so we can drive the car with confidence again.
Update June 29: Car finally was repaired with install of new 6.2Ltr engine. With the dealer we worked out a plan to turn in ours and we already had ordered a new Tahoe High Country but with a Diesel engine as replacement for ours. We feel not comfortable driving the 6.2 Engine anymore. The car is fine but as piece of mind we turned it in. Gm has sofar not reacted to our cost reimbursement request for our own rescue as mentioned above. Our dealer worked out a nice deal so we will have no costs getting the new TahoeHC with the Diesel. In mean time we bought a temporary Tahoe Premier rather then a loaner. This way GM needs to provide the dealer with a new tahoe, (our ordered new one). All this with no cost to us. Thus dealer handled this with much more customer service in mind then GM has shown sofar..This will be last update as we are settled and will keep fighting for the reimbursement, but that is a non engine issue so no need to place here. Appreciate all comments from the various users of 62. engine. One wonders when GM will be able to get this fixed for good. Our dealer mentioned they had a Corvette with just 1000 miles when the lifter problem occurred. Stay safe, happy travels.

Last edited by dutchdad; June 30th, 2021 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dutchdad:
Mando Martinez (June 1st, 2021), xulet@live.com (March 20th, 2024)
Old May 27th, 2021, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by whitwood
This is my third suburban too. This new one has been towed to the dealer 2x in the 4 months I've owned it. Lifter issue presented itself at the tail end of a road trip. I've asked Chevy to buy it back. What I've read is that I'm bound to have repeat lifter failures. I need this thing to be reliable. Hope you get your issues resolved too.

We are having the exact same issue. Have you had any luck with the big back?
Old June 1st, 2021, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Hello Angry Chevy owners, I am now a member!

My 21 Suburban RST 5.3 with 4,000 miles just took a dump with what sounds like the same damn isssue! I was an hour and a half away from home. My home dealership is towing the truck back to them, and I leave on vacation in 3 days. I told them that I need a suburban to go on vacation....either mine, or a loaner. I feel so sick to my stomach, over this $75,000 paper weight.
The truck just stopped working with load banging, and an obvious engine knock with rough idle. It will not go over 30mph. I WANT A NEW CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Yol (July 14th, 2021)
Old June 4th, 2021, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same deal, 6900 miles, 5.3L 2021 Premier

Service ESC, Traction Control, and Service Suspension lights went on, along with Check Engine. Loud knocking from engine, sound and feel like I suddenly have an engine brake, and downshifting went all wonky. Very rough idle. Took it straight to dealer I bought from (Maryland), service guy said “oh it’s probably just a computer thing” but I’m having trouble believing that. Estimate 2 weeks at minimum, but at least they got me a rental. $80k car, not even 6 months old. Unbelievably frustrating. (And this is my second Suburban, I buy them because I need them - multiple kids, multiple dogs, plenty of towing.)
The following 2 users liked this post by frontera2021:
AthenaSweety (June 22nd, 2021), rbacon (June 5th, 2021)
Old June 5th, 2021, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Very disappointed!

We are experiencing the same issues. I emailed GM today. This is the main part of the email I sent them:

We purchased it from Woody Folsom in Baxley, Ga and have had issues with the engine (lifters and rods) which probably doesn’t surprise you. We drove the Tahoe to Woody Folsom’s on May 21, 2021 to get the needed repairs. We were called on June 4, 2021 to inform us our vehicle was repaired and ready for us to pick up. We drove 40 miles to Woody Folsom’s to pick up our Tahoe and didn’t make it out of the parking lot without noticing that it was not repaired correctly. The engine light came on along with a service esc, traction control and a collision control lights came on. The truck also has a vibration. All of this was noticed in the parking lot of the dealership. No lights were on when we dropped it off. It’s almost as if they made no effort to make sure our vehicle was truly ready to be picked up. Why would you not drive a vehicle that is under warranty to make sure the necessary repairs were made? The vehicle may be in worse condition after having the repairs done. Motor issues and 3 recalls makes me question General Motors integrity and dependability. I’m beginning to wonder if we have a purchased a lemon. This Tahoe is my wife and 3 kids primary transportation to work and school. I work out of town a lot and shouldn’t have to worry if our brand new Tahoe is going to be reliable and get them to where they need to be. My wife and I are at a crossroads of how to proceed with this. I am beginning to think that we should have the dealership buy it back or hope that it tears up within the Lemon Law guidelines. We want this resolved!! We are beyond frustrated!!

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles