Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2021, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, after 22 days, I finally got my Suburban back. And it was only on the day before delivery that I was finally given a complete diagnosis and explanation of what they were doing, once I finally was able to talk to the service manager. I'm sharing here in case it's useful for anyone else: The service manager told me that they've been seeing a problem with the lifters, that it's a design issue, and the wait was to get new lifters sent. He said that because they know it's a design issue, they replaced "All lifters - both sides" instead of just where it failed, as well, according to the service record, the "cylinder 7 oil control solenoid for not providing enough oil for lifter." He also told me that he was putting in a request to GM for warranty extension and expected I would receive it, and to look out for that in the mail. So we'll see how it goes from here I guess.
The following 5 users liked this post by frontera2021:
73shark (June 30th, 2021), Rednucleus (June 29th, 2021), repairman54 (June 30th, 2021), SDfromSD (June 29th, 2021), Yol (July 14th, 2021)
Old June 29th, 2021, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by frontera2021
Well, after 22 days, I finally got my Suburban back. And it was only on the day before delivery that I was finally given a complete diagnosis and explanation of what they were doing, once I finally was able to talk to the service manager. I'm sharing here in case it's useful for anyone else: The service manager told me that they've been seeing a problem with the lifters, that it's a design issue, and the wait was to get new lifters sent. He said that because they know it's a design issue, they replaced "All lifters - both sides" instead of just where it failed, as well, according to the service record, the "cylinder 7 oil control solenoid for not providing enough oil for lifter." He also told me that he was putting in a request to GM for warranty extension and expected I would receive it, and to look out for that in the mail. So we'll see how it goes from here I guess.
perfect handling of the repair. they went to bat for you against gm.
Old June 30th, 2021, 12:08 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bent rod/replaced lifters

I have a 2021 1500 silverado with the 6.2 liter motor and at 9800 miles the push rod broke apart and the lifters all had to be replaced on one side of the motor.. The truck was in my driveway and i started it, after it was running fine the day prior, and it sounded like someone dropped rocks in to the motor.. I turned it off immediately but clearly they was a big issue based on the noises. Anyway, the dealership replaced only one push rod and all the lifters on the one side.. I called corporate and expressed my concerns about a 65k truck breaking apart at 9,000 miles. Ill be pushing for an extended warranty or motor replacement but im not thrilled with just playing whack a mole with each push rod and hoping for the best.. I think they should've replaced all the rods and lifters, not just the one that broke apart but who's to say the new ones don't suffer the same fait? After reading all the complaints online, i asked the service rep if he had seen this before and he said they had but never have twice for the same vehicle but acknowledging that it's only a 4month old car! My guess is, this is going to happen again, probably as soon as the lemon law time expires or worse, the powertrain warranty.. There is a good youtube tutorial on someone's opinion on why these failures are happening,
.. It's worth a watch as it seems to explain the issue in depth. What a shame, I LOVED this truck prior to having engine failure, but my loyalty is about to be tested.
Old June 30th, 2021, 9:37 PM
Administrator

Received 165 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Look for #1, #4, & #6 to fail as, IIRC, those are the other cylinders that shut down in V4 mode.
Old June 30th, 2021, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator

probably will turn into a recall....if enough failures occur
Old July 1st, 2021, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

Originally Posted by Louis Porter
My 2021 suburban with 3000 miles collapsed lifter bent pushrods. Would u except new lifters and push rods or would u want a new motor

My new suburban bent rods at 3000. Now its doing it again at 6000
Old July 1st, 2021, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer noticed damage to the camshaft and metal shavings in filter and oil. The asked GM for a new engine and that request was granted. Dealer would not want to just replace the lifters on the other side of the first breakdown. first cylinder 5 and then cylinder 6 is where the lifters failed.
The following users liked this post:
Yol (July 14th, 2021)
Old July 1st, 2021, 2:36 PM
Super Moderator

shavings in the oil pan require engine replacement every time. You most likely had camshaft lobe damage
Old July 2nd, 2021, 10:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyjen
My new suburban bent rods at 3000. Now its doing it again at 6000
OMG !!!

Obviously, something changed to cause these issues. Like different supplier, cost-savings program for a part, stuff like this.

I worked for a soap and detergent company for 4 decades, and even they had cost-savings programs for the materials, formulas, packages, etc.
Old July 3rd, 2021, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Three STRIKES you’re OUT??!!!!

Soooooo……
1. Collapsed lifter at 3800 miles. Dealer near home in NC replaced damaged parts at that cylinder.
2. Collapsed lifter at 5400 miles. Dealer in Little River, SC (happened out of town for work) replaced all parts on the entire side which was same side as earlier repairs.
3. TODAY with 9000 miles SAME ISSUE.

Heading to Baltimore, car did same things it’s done before with this problem…. clunking sound underneath car, running rough, check engine light, ESC light, yadda yadda yadda.
LUCKILY pooped out at interchange in NC where there was Chevy dealer! They had a loaner. They said they had the parts necessary. They said they were very familiar with this problem. They said all the older stock of rods had been returned and replaced with the new and improved ones which I know were installed during my 5400 mile visit to the shop.
Since it’s a holiday weekend I won’t hear anything until Tuesday but am I to assume that this current situation would be related to the other bank of cylinders??? So maybe once they replace all the parts on this other side I’ll be good???

My husband emailed and called GM after the second incident and the word was that they’re not interested in buying it back. Maybe this third time will be the charm??

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles