Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2021, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be interested in hearing how things go for you (I've had 3 incidents now with this issue). We bought our 2021 Suburban in MD but live in/registered in NC. Keep us posted
Old July 12th, 2021, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update, 2021 Yukon Denali, 5000 miles

> I just had this issue last week while driving the kids to Disney World. Just passed 5000 miles on our 2021 GMC Yukon Denali. Broke down outside of Jacksonville. I had to rent a car to finish the trip...

After 26 days we finally received our vehicle back last Friday. Drove it maybe 20 miles this weekend. Turned it on this morning to multiple warnings, an alert from onstart, and violent shaking of the engine. Currently having it towed to the local GMC dealership.
Old July 12th, 2021, 10:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Would anybody care to speculate if this is a poor design issue, poor materials, poor workmanship,or maybe substandard parts made in a foreign country?Are the 2021 suburbans made in Canada or Mexico?Thanks.
Old July 12th, 2021, 9:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryE
Would anybody care to speculate if this is a poor design issue, poor materials, poor workmanship,or maybe substandard parts made in a foreign country?Are the 2021 suburbans made in Canada or Mexico?Thanks.
not insulting to 160 million people at all. bravo
Old July 13th, 2021, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryE
Im sure GM is perfectly capable of building garbage vehicles in the US of A. Engine components are built in Indiana, engines are built in Texas, final assembly for Yukon/Tahoe’s is in New York.
Old July 13th, 2021, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default This is what I think is in my future too

Originally Posted by ntotten
>After 26 days we finally received our vehicle back last Friday. Drove it maybe 20 miles this weekend. Turned it on this morning to multiple warnings, an alert from onstart, and violent shaking of the engine. Currently having it towed to the local GMC dealership.
So sorry to hear about this happening to you. I guess you can look on the positive side and view this latest issue as one step closer to a buy back option or to using the Lemon Law to replace the vehicle. Good luck and keep posting.
My biggest fear is that the warranty will run out on my truck and then it craters again and I'm stuck with paying the repair.
On another side note, I had my truck parked at a boat ramp yesterday. I man on a bicycle stop me as I was getting in and said "Wow, that's a great looking truck, I'm usually a Ford guy but I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a Chevrolet truck with the Z71 package" He also wanted to see the truck's interior and asked me a few questions about options. After I answered his questions, I said you need to know something else about this truck, it threw a rod at 8000 miles and there are lots of new Chevrolet owners that are experiencing the same issue. He was very surprised. Last thing I told him was to stick with Ford.
Old July 14th, 2021, 5:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Small percentage

I don’t doubt the issues everyone is having, I personally experienced it in a 2007 Suburban with AFM. Now own a 2017 and hoping it doesn’t repeat. With that said the number of people experiencing issues is very small. Yes everyone in this forum on this particular thread has likely had an issue, but I don’t think I’d reach 20-30 people if I counted. Certainly there are more that never bother to visit this forum, but GM sold 847,000+ Sierra and Silverado pickups last year, and lord know how many more Suburbans and Yukon’s all running these engines. You likely won’t find a thread titled “no issues so far” on this forum with a half-million satisfied owners. I wouldn’t steer anyone away from GM since if you take a stroll over to any other competitor forum you will find nothing but problems there too. Anything mass-produced of this magnitude is going to have some problems. What these forums do help with is troubleshooting and possibly help with identifying issues, and how others may have found resolutions. That and “misery loves company” and you will find that on any forum..
Good luck to all. No doubt I would be unhappy as well, I was in 2007.
Old July 14th, 2021, 7:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

A bad batch of lifters is the issue. They know what motors have them and who made the lifters.
I just love reading the guess's of mechanically clueless along with the brand loyal rants.
Only techs get the be on both sides of the fence and see and understand the big picture.
The following 2 users liked this post by repairman54:
SDfromSD (July 14th, 2021), tech2 (July 14th, 2021)
Old July 14th, 2021, 8:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

One must ALWAYS realize that discontented folks will always post more, and be more vocal than contented folks. That's just the way it is. Doesn't mean that GM is not at fault here....
The following users liked this post:
SDfromSD (July 14th, 2021)
Old July 14th, 2021, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those of you spinning your wheels worried about buybacks... look up what your used Suburban is worth right now and just sell the damn thing. Carvana is offering me more than what I paid for it new back in December. You could make $ on it, but probably get hosed on anything else you decide to buy right now.

BTW... over 3 weeks and Suburban is still in the shop.

Last edited by Texas_Signmaker; July 14th, 2021 at 6:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles