Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2021, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

per my discussion with a service advisor, they have been seeing the issue pop up with 2022s. Beware.

every car has its quirks but the diesel is a no brainer for me.

QUOTE=repairman54;473192]I wouldn't touch any brand Diesel with a 10-foot pole. Later production or wait for a '22. I'd go for a '22 myself. LS motors are proven tough motors, a bad batch of lifters is the main issue.[/QUOTE]
Old December 2nd, 2021, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colinel
per my discussion with a service advisor, they have been seeing the issue pop up with 2022s. Beware.

every car has its quirks but the diesel is a no brainer for me.
Just build my 2022 RST Diesel (cheaper than any 2021 used ive found). Called local dealership and about a 8-10 week delivery ETA. Now to just go in and order
Old December 6th, 2021, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

This should be good news to most: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/12...or-v8-engines/

The fix: dealership technicians are instructed to replace both banks of cylinders in affected vehicles. These repairs must be performed upon arrival at the dealership and before the vehicles are sold to customers.
The following users liked this post:
txco (December 7th, 2021)
Old December 7th, 2021, 8:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast.Z71
This should be good news to most: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/12...or-v8-engines/

The fix: dealership technicians are instructed to replace both banks of cylinders in affected vehicles. These repairs must be performed upon arrival at the dealership and before the vehicles are sold to customers.
That is good news for those affected, that BOTH sides will be fixed, and hopefully properly. I'm glad we recently bought a 2011, for both that reason and to avoid 1234yf.
Old December 13th, 2021, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusser
That is good news for those affected, that BOTH sides will be fixed, and hopefully properly. I'm glad we recently bought a 2011, for both that reason and to avoid 1234yf.
What everyone should do is drive it until the engine seizes or blows up then GM will have to replace the engine. I'm on my third Suburban (2016) and it will be my last. Next one will be a Toyota or Lexus. Unlike GM, they make vehicles that last.
Old January 24th, 2022, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default I’m back…and not happy.

Originally Posted by notwest1
2021 Z71 with 13k miles…dreaded clunking and service warnings came on Friday as I was driving, too late to take to dealer, limped home and headed to dealer today. This forum has been a ton of help since the dealership nearest me was closed for the weekend. Of course this is Thanksgiving week so I don’t hold out hope for a confirmation on what I’m assuming is the lifters bending like previously mentioned. I love LOVE my burb but travel a lot and need something reliable. If this is the issue I might be looking at selling and finding a new ride, has anyone gone back with a GM built after the dreaded 3/31/21 date and been happy? I need storage room and so far not much compares.

guess what’s back at the shop?? You guessed it! My burb with 14700 miles with failed lifters on the side opposite of what they replaced last time! It’s been sitting almost a week now and still no date on when I can expect it back this time.
Old January 26th, 2022, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear this, are you asking for just a replacement of lifters or a new engine?
Old January 26th, 2022, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Re

Originally Posted by txco
Sorry to hear this, are you asking for just a replacement of lifters or a new engine?
they won’t give a new engine, tried that. They replaced the lifters now on both sides. The service manager is supposedly going to try and file some paperwork to extend my warranty. We shall see.
Old January 26th, 2022, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by notwest1
they won’t give a new engine, tried that. They replaced the lifters now on both sides. The service manager is supposedly going to try and file some paperwork to extend my warranty. We shall see.
My initial repair included replacing both banks of lifters. Also got a letter extending driveline warranty to 100000. That happened at 4000 miles. Now have 9000 miles and so far so good.
The following users liked this post:
notwest1 (January 26th, 2022)
Old January 26th, 2022, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was fortunate to get a replacement engine at 7k. What prompted mine was during lifter replacement and reassembly one of the new head bolts sheared off - torque to yield bolts as I recall. Service manager said that is unacceptable and ordered a new engine. Took an extra week but we were given a loaner plus one month car payment. At just shy of 16k all appears to be good but I'm still on needles and pins listening to every little odd noise. If it breaks again it's still on them

Stay safe, stay healthy.

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles