Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2022, 8:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Silverado LTZ

When a lifter collapsed on my 2021 Silverado LTZ with 6,000 miles and I discovered that the GM knew the lifters are defective and refuses to recall the affected models. I spoke to the sales manager at Dale Earnhardt, JR in Tallahassee, FL who refused to take any responsibility for the defective lifters in the engine in the truck that they sold me in 2021. Dale Earnhardt, JR in Tallahassee, FL fixed one bank of the defective lifters on the V8 and told me I would have to return the truck when the other bank of lifters collapsed. I am not willing to risk driving a truck and tow a trailer on interstates with a motor that could lose power at any moment. I traded the Silverado for a 2022 Ford F-150 XLT and joined a lawsuit against GM hoping to recover financial loss due to the defective lifters. The good news is that the F-150 is a better truck than the Silverado. The Ford F-150 XLT drives better, and the technology works better and is more user-friendly.
Old March 25th, 2022, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2022 Lifter and Rod Issues

I bought my 2022 Z71 Tahoe in mid-January 0f 2022. I've had it two months and it has 2,200 miles on it. Starting driving rough this weekend and making noises. They towed it in and the receipt says 16 lifters and 1 Rod and a bunch of other guides, gaskets, pipe,etc... It took them four days to fix and it and after having it back 24 hours and about 33 miles driven, it happened again. In Texas the Lemon law states that if it has to have happened four times in a 24 month or 24,000 mile period before you claim lemon. That is unless it is considered a serious safety hazard and then only has to occur twice. I would say engine failure (I would not want this going out on a highway with my kids in the back) is a serious safety hazard. It's undrivable, unlike other Tahoe issues.

Does anyone have any Lemon Law recourse stories on this from 2021? I guess my next step if it fails again is to request a whole new engine or for them to buy it back (doubt that would happen). Sad to see that they were aware of this problem in 2021 and didn't address it for the 2022 models.
Old April 18th, 2022, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replacement 2021

So I actually have a 2021. Bought it February of 21. Lifter issue at 3000 miles. Again around 5000 miles. They replaced my engine the second time. And so far I’m at 25k miles and no issues but GM agreed to buy back OR replace it at no cost to me with a 22. I’m currently waiting on my 22 and let me tell you, I will RAGE if I end up in the same situation with a 22. I really just lost confidence in the vehicle and didn’t feel like an engine replacement was enough for me at that point.

Originally Posted by Anacott
I bought my 2022 Z71 Tahoe in mid-January 0f 2022. I've had it two months and it has 2,200 miles on it. Starting driving rough this weekend and making noises. They towed it in and the receipt says 16 lifters and 1 Rod and a bunch of other guides, gaskets, pipe,etc... It took them four days to fix and it and after having it back 24 hours and about 33 miles driven, it happened again. In Texas the Lemon law states that if it has to have happened four times in a 24 month or 24,000 mile period before you claim lemon. That is unless it is considered a serious safety hazard and then only has to occur twice. I would say engine failure (I would not want this going out on a highway with my kids in the back) is a serious safety hazard. It's undrivable, unlike other Tahoe issues.

Does anyone have any Lemon Law recourse stories on this from 2021? I guess my next step if it fails again is to request a whole new engine or for them to buy it back (doubt that would happen). Sad to see that they were aware of this problem in 2021 and didn't address it for the 2022 models.
Old May 12th, 2022, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2021 Silverado RST Z71

Welp,

16,000 miles on the truck, driving home from work and the truck starts to sputter, knock while sitting at a red-light. Take the truck to our dealership and being told that the truck has a lifter issue and that it could be 4-6 weeks to repair it. I am on week 3 with a rental but what a mess. No idea what the outcome is yet, but I hate knowing so many people is having the same issue as me.
Old May 17th, 2022, 1:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Angry Lifter issue: secret GM p300 misfire SES TSB. .

ask your chevy dealer for a copy of their tech service bulletin 10/15/2018 #P P4138R SES , misfire, DTC P 0300 , engine noises.
then see if your chevy VIN has ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT.

in certain Chevys from 2002 to 2021 , the AFM system shuts off fuel to 2 cylinders to save gas. the 2 shutoff cylinders don't get enough oil lube. loss of proper lube leads to big expensive mechanical problems. poor design of the AFM system has led to expensive repairs including failed lifter, damaged camshaft, destroyed cam lobes, even bent intake pushrods ..

there have been KNOWN poor - design mechanical issues on chevys with the AFM systems , reported as early as 2012 on this board for models with AFM. complaints are continuing as recent as thru sept 2021 even on young engines of a few thousand miles..

symptoms: noise. valve train 'tick. ' chirp, squeak, or squeal. noise may increase w increasing load from idle. or may occur only at high loads or rpms or speeds.

AFM causes lack of lubrication to 'resting cylinders. ' lack of lube may result in prematurely worn camshaft lobe or lifter roller. sticking valve. valve leak. broken valve spring. OR collapsed AFM lifter. some P0300 reports are as early as 2012 on engines w 3,000 miles.

determining how much damage an AFM caused, then fixing it is a lot of labor. and expense.
Old May 24th, 2022, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Yeaaa

I bought my suburban in January of 2021, since then I’ve replaced the lifters and pushrod twice and the way the engine sounds, a third time is coming soon. WhT are lemon rules. This is bs.
Old May 25th, 2022, 6:48 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by geoffp
I bought my suburban in January of 2021, since then I’ve replaced the lifters and pushrod twice and the way the engine sounds, a third time is coming soon. WhT are lemon rules. This is bs.
Every state has it's own laws. You have to check what your state laws are.
Old November 28th, 2022, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2021 Tahoe RST here. On the way home from ATL > Little Rock when we had lifter problems and ended up on the side of I-20 at night with kids in the car. Super happy about that. Got the family home on a plane, but I'm stuck here in Alabama trying to resolve this. Dealer at home can't help since they don't have the car. Would cost almost $1000 to have it shipped home, and GM won't do it. Local dealer is telling us 1 month for the repair. Not sure if they can get us a rental - they're "working on it."

Any ideas? Can I call GM Customer Service and complain - think they'd help at all?
Old November 28th, 2022, 5:31 PM
Administrator

Received 165 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I would definitely recommend calling the GM customer service hotline.
Old November 28th, 2022, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

I would definitely recommend calling the GM customer service hotline.
Thanks! I called them a while ago, and they said they would reimburse us for a rental car. Up to $1000 is easy, over $1000 requires pre-approval. Anyone else go through that process?

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles