Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2021, 6:55 PM
Yol
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blindbaby
Morning. 2021 Tahoe High Country just shy of 7k, I just gained my membership into the bad lifter club. Tahoe at the dealers for 3 full days and hasn't been looked at. At least they gave me a loaner - first one was a Ram Rebel, no running boards, had to drag myself in and jump out. I have spinal issues so I traded. This ride is a Hyundai Kona - coffin with wheels. Over $80k in the Tahoe and I get to drive a Hyundai Kona, boy howdy I'm a happy camper. Updates as they become available

**Update: Dealer service called, said I was right - collapsed lifter bent push rod. We hopefully will get the Tahoe back on Friday 6/18/2021 with new lifters and one push rod on the right side. Asked what about the left side, service said Chevrolet said to only replace the right side lifters. Now, is it me or does it seem the right side is more affected than the left side??

**Hopefully someone will come up with an override device for the DFM system. I ordered such a device for my 2020 GMC Sierra - to date no issues with it and hopefully they will not rear their ugly head.
Originally Posted by tech2
shavings in the oil pan require engine replacement every time. You most likely had camshaft lobe damage
glad you got a new engine, 3 months ago the left lifters went out and now 2 moths later the right, I don’t want my truck ot I want a new motor, don’t want issues in the long run, I hope it works out for me as it did for you.
Old July 18th, 2021, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same Issue as Post #29 & #30

I am having the same issues as many here with loud knocking on startup and now while driving my 2021 Tahoe 5.3L Premier with just under 7000 miles purchased in January in NC. When driving, the popping seems to be correlated to shifting, usually popping when it comes out of gear if I let up on the accelerator. The issue seems to be worsening, as it used to only pop during the first 5 or so minutes of operation and now does it even after 4 hours of operation (recent vacation - fortunately we made it home!). I brought it in for service before my vacation, and they couldn’t reproduce the sound, as it had warmed up driving it there. Taking it in tonight for them to have cold tomorrow morning, though it shouldn’t matter now as it makes noise all the time. They never road-tested it before, and all they did was apparently a cursory external inspection and reprogrammed some software.

I had sent multiple videos of the car making the noises to the service adviser I am working with. He said neither he nor any of the mechanics had heard those noises before. Reading this, I’m not sure I believe that. I have many, many videos of this occurring, and you can hear it getting worse. Here is a link to a YouTube video of it a few days ago:

https://youtube.com/shorts/r5iSxZCcpx8?feature=share

I also started getting the same warnings from the vehicle that previous posters got (“Service Traction Control,” “Service ESC,” and “Forward Collision System Unavailable,” as well as a check engine light and OnStar notifications).

I’m assuming the entire engine is heavily damaged at this point. I would never feel confident in anything short of engine replacement, though it sounds like GM is going to want to start with replacing one lifter or just one side of lifters, and it looks like I need to be ready to have it in the shop for weeks. I haven’t contacted GM yet, as in NC the car has to be in 4 times before it’s a lemon, though I may go ahead and open a case to see what GM says about the situation and what they offer.

I love how the Tahoe looks and handles when it’s working, which I guess was actually just for the first 4000 miles or so, but I’d consider a replacement vehicle as the size is great for my family with the only comparable alternatives being other GM variants or SUVs costing $20k more. This sucks, but I am thinking that I and those here are likely just an unlucky small group relative to the 100,000s of 2021 Tahoe/Yukon/Silverado buyers. GM knows there are some bad eggs out there in each batch (particularly with redesigns), which they just hope is only a small percentage. I feel your pain everyone, $75,000 worth at the moment, and in a small way am comforted to know I’m not alone…

I’m interested to see how the dealer handles this tomorrow and will certainly update everyone. Thanks for all the posts. The dealer really made me feel like this was some unknown issue that only I was having. Thanks to smartphones, they couldn’t deny that the vehicle was having issues. Thanks to you all, they can’t pretend I’m the only one, and I will go in pretty well informed.

Last edited by MattM919; July 19th, 2021 at 7:09 AM.
Old July 19th, 2021, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2021 lifter failure

Originally Posted by Louis Porter
My 2021 suburban with 3000 miles collapsed lifter bent pushrods. Would u except new lifters and push rods or would u want a new motor
The 2021 Tahoe failed at 3900 miles last week. Same failure as this.They know they have a design or defect in manufacturing. All lifters and pushrods being replaced and extended warranty. Still in the shop for repair.
Old July 19th, 2021, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello people! Chevy owner from Mexico

I've been reading this forum for a while now! and I have to say you guys have given me the strength to put pressure into GM
I joined the bad lifters club on June 27 at 6800 miles! and its been in the dealership since June 29. I already have an open case with GM and I make sure to call them at least two times per week. So far they told me they are replacing the lifters and push roads oh! also the coolant? ( lol )

I went to the dealership today and they told me they are just missing one part and that they will have ETA of shipment on Wednesday. Still they don't know how long will it take them to rebuild the whole thing. Reading everything that's happening here I don't trust my vehicle anymore. In Mexico we don't have a exactly a lemon law, but we do have some government agencies that might be able to help ( PROFECO) I'm gathering all the requirements and papers and I'm going there tomorrow!

I'm not sure how far can things go, but I would settle for a new engine.

let you guys know.

The following 3 users liked this post by TheDrew:
Rednucleus (July 19th, 2021), SDfromSD (July 19th, 2021), Sintek (July 22nd, 2021)
Old July 19th, 2021, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2021 tahoe 5.3 lifter problem

Hi all. My 5.3 #4 cylinder had a bent rod and lifters replaced at 8400 miles. No extended warranty coverage but the repair was done 8n 3 days. They said it is a common problem. Hopefully we are ok from here on out!!! Doesn't sound promising from the posts in this group.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like a dope. My 2013 Suburban lost cylinder 1 due to AFM. I hesitated getting another Suburban (needed the space & towing) and was told the new DFM was superior to AFM and resolved all the previous issues.

My 2021 Suburban LT 5.3L is in the shop right now having the idler pulley replaced (bad bearing) after only 6,000 miles!! It is taking them over 2-days to replace it - insane. I pulled up this website to see if anyone else had the pulley issue and came across this frightening thread. Now I feel like I'm driving a time-bomb!! I can not believe how many people here are losing their engines to crappy lifters. GM NEEDS to be sued for these shenanigans. I was so glad to dump my 2013 after all the service trips I had to make but now I feel like I'm reliving the hell all over again.

Shame on me.

Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:30 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by FordPrefect
My 2021 Suburban LT 5.3L is in the shop right now having the idler pulley replaced (bad bearing) after only 6,000 miles!! It is taking them over 2-days to replace it - insane.
Over 2 days to replace an idler pulley?? I'm pretty suspicious of this......
The following users liked this post:
FordPrefect (July 22nd, 2021)
Old July 22nd, 2021, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally got Suburban back after THIRD time!

Sooooo..... short background....
Collapsed lifter #4 cylinder at 3800 miles. Lifter and bent push rod replaced.
Collapsed lifter #5 cylinder at 5400 miles. Lifters on entire side (8 lifters) and bent push rod replaced.
Collapsed lifter #7 cylinder (on other side) at 8900 miles. Lifters on both sides (16 lifters) and bent push rod replaced.

GM acknowledged problem with in-stock lifters and had all service depts send back stock of 'bad' batch. From reading and watching some videos from seasoned mechanics, I feel certain engines were assembled with poor quality lifters, GM has realized this, pulled the parts and are now advising service depts to replace ALL lifters with quality stock to avoid additional occurrence of this issue. I just picked up Suburban yesterday from this third go around and the service mgr told me "This engine has been repaired three times now. If I were you, I'd contact GM about this." I told him we already had an open case since the first incident.

I feel that this will be the last time I have this problem as all lifters are now the 'good' ones. So I feel GM won't give me new engine OR take this car back. (We bought in MD, live in NC and don't yet qualify for the lemon law). BUT I'M GOING TO DEMAND AN EXTENDED WARRANTY IF NOTHING ELSE!!! The thing is..... I REALLY love this car!!!! I just want to be able to rely on it and have it be dependable!

Old July 24th, 2021, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LarryE
Would anybody care to speculate if this is a poor design issue, poor materials, poor workmanship,or maybe substandard parts made in a foreign country?Are the 2021 suburbans made in Canada or Mexico?Thanks.

we have many here in Saudi Arabia . Check this out on Twitter:
Old July 24th, 2021, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Louis Porter
My 2021 suburban with 3000 miles collapsed lifter bent pushrods. Would u except new lifters and push rods or would u want a new motor

We have many cases like this one in Saudi Arabia

check this out on Twitter:

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles