Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 Suburban Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2024, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Suburban Transmission Whine

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help.

Thursday, while on a road trip 1,000 miles away I developed first a rattle/grind, which turned into a whine coming out of the front of the transmission. However that is also paired with hard shifts and gear hunting at highway speeds up hills, and eventually throwing P2817 and P0700 codes. I had to drive it 1,000 miles home unfortunately.

I have 70,000 miles but fortunately it is the diesel with 100,000 warranty.

In all likelihood I think it is pertaining to this TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10239046-0001.pdf

My questions are though:

- if the dealer is able to replace the pump assembly, what other damage is likely to have been caused to the transmission parts that I should insist are replaced or inspected (valve body, or others)
- I have heard of dealers trying to charge for transmission flushes that are part of warranty work and that sounds unfair. Does anybody know the actual rules so I can prevent from being taken advantage?

Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2024, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

if the pump failed the way the bulletin describes, then the whole transmission is trash, so I would expect a replacement transmission, cooler lines, radiator, and any auxiliary trans coolers.

will they give it to you? probably not
the rules are stated in your warranty booklet. Now would be the time to go over the fine print with a fine tooth comb. They WILL try to pull a fast one on you.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; July 8th, 2024 at 12:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jfmorris (July 8th, 2024)
Old July 8th, 2024, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
if the pump failed the way the bulletin describes, then the whole transmission is trash, so I would expect a replacement transmission, cooler lines, radiator, and any auxiliary trans coolers.

will they give it to you? probably not
the rules are stated in your warranty booklet. Now would be the time to go over the fine print with a fine tooth comb. They WILL try to pull a fast one on you.
Thanks. I will push for a replacement transmission. This is what GM says are the exclusions, from this document:

https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pcf...pdfExclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors. Also excluded are the clutch and pressure plate as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.
Old July 8th, 2024, 12:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

With those exclusions, you might be out of pocket for a couple of items, but as @mountainmanjoe points out, it is likely crap has flowed through the transmission cooling lines and the transmission cooling coil in the radiator by now. Maybe those elements will be good if they flush it under pressure, but I would talk to them about replacing both the lines and the cooler. Sensors and wiring is fine.