Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2nd Battery Tray?

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2006, 7:31 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Battery Tray?

The GMT800 (starting in model year 2005) and all the new GMT900 vehicles are equipped with a Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system, this system turns off the alternator when it is not required in order to improve fuel economy.
This process is controlled by the onboard computers and is not just a simple device attached to the battery.
Old November 30th, 2006, 7:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, ha! Thanks ZX1100F1 for validation with the proper nomenclature. Glad to know I was somewhat accurate.
Old November 30th, 2006, 7:38 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You pretty much nailed it on the head.
Old December 20th, 2006, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

TMW597,

Did the dealer itemize the parts used on your invoice for the 2nd battery install & if so would you post them as I am going to add the 2nd battery as well. Also, any wiring instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old December 21st, 2006, 3:50 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: konasmrz

TMW597,

Did the dealer itemize the parts used on your invoice for the 2nd battery install & if so would you post them as I am going to add the 2nd battery as well. Also, any wiring instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
It's gonna' vary I'm sure from dealership to dealership. I know mine tried to rip me off and say it was $1000, after an estimate of $500. Anything outside of their daily scope they're going to tell you it costs a bunch of money just to discourage you.

I'm sorry I don't have the parts list for it. My understanding though is it should be less than $300 in parts.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 1:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zx, what would you recomnd me to do. i have a sound sytem in me tahoe tha is pushing 1800 watts, my lights are strating to dim when the bass hits, a changed the battery to an red top optima. should i run the original for the truck and the optima for the audio sytem? basically zx should i keep the original battery as it was and add the optima for the audio? thanks
Old December 23rd, 2006, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: TMW597

I've had the second battery installed on my 2007 GMC Yukon XL. The wiring harness under the hood is all prewired for the second battery. You're right most dealer's service departments don't know anything about it when you mention it. It took me talking to about 5 before finding someone that even had an idea about it. I had to pull all of the schematics myself to take to the dealership to do the install. It seems like some dealer's service department will respond to "RV or trailer kit" when talking about the second battery. I've also had some response to diesel battery kit. It's pretty nice having the extra power, and the alternator obviously recharges both of them. I have most of my "extra" electronics connected to that second battery, and I also run a power inverter from time to time.

The 2nd battery is sitting right on that tray.
Do you happen to have a copy of the schematics??? I want to install one on mine, but I htink that the parts required can be bought on the aftermarket...

Thanks..
Old December 23rd, 2006, 3:27 PM
CF Senior Member

I do have them in PDF form. Let me figure out if I can post them to the site for ALL to enjoy. In the meantime though, send me your email address and I'll email them to you.

I would be careful on the "aftermarket" parts unless you RELLY understand how the GM's are wired.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: TMW597

I do have them in PDF form. Let me figure out if I can post them to the site for ALL to enjoy. In the meantime though, send me your email address and I'll email them to you.

I would be careful on the "aftermarket" parts unless you RELLY understand how the GM's are wired.

My email is xxxxxxxxxx

I know my way around electronic schematics. I've been working on cars since I was 15, now I'm 55.

I may have burned lots of brain cells, but I beleive I have some left that will get me in trouble from time to time...

thanks for the offer of PDF's, I used to have access to GMSPO diagrams, but it's too expensive to stay subscribed...

Ernie
Old December 23rd, 2006, 3:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Cool, got your email address. Now go back and edit your post, and delete it so you don't get spammed. I should have told ya' to PM it to me. Stand by for the email.

Quick Reply: 2nd Battery Tray?