Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2WD vs "Auto"

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2006, 3:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD vs "Auto"

Just wondering what most of you set your 07 Tahoes at for the transfer case... we've been driving it in "Auto" mode. Any advantages/disadvantages to one vs. the other?
Old August 13th, 2006, 2:34 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2WD vs "Auto"

Only use the "Auto" mode when there is a need to possibly be in 4 Wheel Drive, like on a day when the weather is marginal (at the very least rain).
The auto feature was designed for people who are not sure when to be in locked in and when not to be, on days that look like they could go bad I place the selector in Auto for my wife before she leaves the house.

When you select Auto the transfer case is put into a stand-bye mode and the front central locking unit (hub) are locked-in, if it's a sunny day then there is no need for this extra wear and tear.
Old March 4th, 2007, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2WD vs "Auto"

Does driving in "Auto" add more wear to the powertrain than 2wd Hi because the front axle is locked, if at all? I know 4-hi and 4-lo add more wear. Thanks!