Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

30k mile service bs??

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2011, 4:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 30k mile service bs??

hey guys i have a 2010 Tahoe with almost 26k on it. i myself always changed the engine oil every 3-4k with Mobil one synthetic or castrol edge 5w30. i rotate the tires every two oil changes, every 5k i run fuel injector cleaner through the tank. i called the dealer about the 30k service and they want almost 500 bucks to change oil (extra for synthetic) lube chassis and fuel injector cleaner and rotate balance tires. i might be missing something but this seems redic to me. i know the tranny i don't have to worry about until 75k i don't haul anything. i put my truck on the lift and looked for grease fittings under the truck and didn't see any! so what are they lubing? lets say i was to just say F the service and continue doing my routine maintenance, and down the road had a problem would they not honor my warranty for skipping the service?? just don't see why i should pay these dollars for them to CHECK the fluids and all that other stuff. i also recently had my alignment done. what do you all think. i do need to bring it in for an erratic shift into 6th at highway speeds im assuming just a reprogram thing but i know they are going to bring up the 30k service before i walk out.
Old November 20th, 2011, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question, come on service reps, answer please.
Old November 20th, 2011, 6:40 PM
Administrator

Received 159 Likes on 157 Posts

There's a zerk on each tie rod end.

If you are using Mobil 1, you should be able to go by the OLM which should just about double your oil mileage. And that's still conservative.

If you don't do the fluid change-outs and a component goes Tango Uniform, they could deny warranty repair. Not saying they would. A lot depends on your relationship w/ the service dept.
Old November 20th, 2011, 8:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Default zerk

whats a zerk?
Old November 20th, 2011, 8:48 PM
CF Junior Member

a zerk is the grease fittings also can act as wear indicators when they start to receed. but i use synthetic and STILL change my oil every 3-4k miles. reason being is because the synthetic is better for new motors, and yes you can go longer between oil changes BUT i still feel that no filter is good for more than that. i look at it as a small price to pay extra more oil changes equals healthier engine equals last longer. i basically have no relationship with the dealer at all besides a few minor warranty issues that i had taken care of at two different dealers. i monitor my oil life chart on my onstar website. it shows every time my oil life monitor has been reset. its proof that i changed my oil or at least reset the monitor lol but i never reset it unless the oil is changed. i feel that i spent 48k on this truck and the 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty should stand on the power train no matter what. i just don't have the extra money to throw around like that right now. hopefully a gm rep will tune in here on this and throw me an answer. also is there only zerk fittings on the tie rod ends???
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
CF Active Member

IMO just follow the owners manual. Dealers tend to add unnecessary scope and $500 for the tasks you mentioned is way too much.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$500 is WAY too much. most oil change places will do the same "required" maintenance for a much lower cost. it sounds like you already do all of that on your own anyway so no need to worry at all. nothing is critical at 30k miles just normal maintenance
Old November 21st, 2011, 1:21 PM
CF Junior Member

yea i understand that but im wondering if it will affect my warranty. anyways the only thing i am interested in is the fuel injector cleaner. they said they use a pressurized cleaner that runs through the injectors. or are they just going to dump the crap in the tank and let me run it through?
Old November 21st, 2011, 2:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> badOHtenTAHOE
I would advise following the recommended 30k service. I cannot comment on the price of the work, as pricing varies by dealer. Have you had service and maintenance done at the dealer? You may want to speak with them and see if arrangements can be made. Best of luck and keep us posted! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Received 159 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by badOHtenTAHOE
yea i understand that but im wondering if it will affect my warranty. anyways the only thing i am interested in is the fuel injector cleaner. they said they use a pressurized cleaner that runs through the injectors. or are they just going to dump the crap in the tank and let me run it through?
Chances are they are using a BG cleaner machine.

Quick Reply: 30k mile service bs??