Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

4 wheel drive 03 Tahoe steering side to side drift?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive 03 Tahoe steering side to side drift?

Hi all,
I have a 4 wheel drive 03 Tahoe with steering side to side drift. last year I replaced the tie rods with Moog and the front wheel hubs with Moog. When I replace those parts it was because they were worn and NOT because of side to side drifting. The side to side drifting started about 2 months ago. I replaced the shocks with Monro's 2 years ago. There is a small amount of play in the idler and pitman, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to cause the amount of side to side drift I am getting. But I could be wrong about that. I have found several post on the web about others with the same issue, But there were no answers to the problem. I rotated the tires, checked my work on the tie rods and hubs. There is a little bit of knocking in the steering column, But that was there before. The drift seems to be more prominent on rougher roads and in the wind. I don't notice it as much on smoother roads that have just been paved. It is the same in 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive.

Some of my guesses are front diff going out or gears binding -
cv joints cv joints
wearing and binding - steering gear box - pitman and idler arm and bracket?

But I was hoping to find someone here that might know more about this issue. Thanks Kelly
Old December 30th, 2014, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think I have narrowed it down to the steering gear box. Here is a u-tube link about a dodge. I think I have the same problem going on.

But It seems fords have the steering gear problem too.

Kelly