Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

6300 pounds of crap with a 5000 pound towing capacity. NOW WHAT. Suggestions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2018, 2:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

BTW, wife, and I am taking "Lucy" out over spring break with our 03 suburban
Old March 4th, 2018, 8:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by intheburbs
You keep writing about HD/non HD. The only difference between the two is the presence of the oil and trans cooler (code K5L). Other than that, there is no difference - all the hardware - engine, transmission, axles, etc, are the same.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "an axle that has a much higher rating with other applications." A 2014 Silverado has a rear axle weight rating of 3950, which is lower than the Suburban's 4200. It's physics - a semifloater can't handle high-torque loads as well as a full floater. You want a real rear axle? The 10.5" full floater in my 2500 Burb is rated to 8600 lbs by AA (if it had dual rear wheels). That's not a typo. My rear axle can carry more weight than your entire truck.

There are a lot more weight ratings to consider than just the "trailer towing capacity." I would NEVER try to tow an 8,000-lb trailer with a half-ton Burb. Heck, and 8600-lb trailer maxes out my 2500 Burb, and it's "rated" to pull 9400 lbs. A half-ton Suburban only has about 1500 lbs of payload. Using the typical 13% trailer tongue weight, and an 8000-lb trailer equals 1,040 lbs of tongue weight. Not much payload left for anything else. Then you have the 4200-lb rear axle weight rating. I can guarantee you'll exceed that number with a trailer that large, even using weight distribution. And if you try to reduce the tongue weight by creatively loading the trailer, then that will increase instability and sway.

Look, you can do whatever you want. I'm just trying to share my experience so that others don't make the same mistakes I did. I had two catastrophic failures of ther rear axle in my '01 Burb. Both times while towing a large RV that only weighed about 7000 lbs, while on vacation. Try explaining to your family why you're spending 4 days in Mitchell, SD staring at a f***ing corn palace instead of the geysers of Yellowstone and Rushmore.

Load up the trailer, load up the family and all of your gear, and drive over to CAT scales and get your weights. Those are the important numbers. Anything else is BS and speculation. Just realize that re-gearing and adding coolers aren't going to do much to improve your towing experience.

Here are my weights from my trip last year to Yellowstone with this behemoth:

Not sure if this is a "if you can't beat em'. join em'" moment or a "never argue with idiots, first they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" moment. I guess we'll just call it the first choice to move away from the acrimony. Either way, I am in negotiations with several dealers and one private owner for a lightly used 2500 LT. Hopefully, I will have one under contract by the end of the week.

So, hat in hand, does anyone know if the heavy duty trailer tow package is standard on the 2012 or 2013 Burb 2500 LT? I have used my google fu and still can't figure it out.

Thanks
Old March 4th, 2018, 9:30 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

You might try going to the chevrolet.com website and searching for a 2013 Suburban 2500 brochure and see if they have it on file.
Old March 4th, 2018, 11:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
You might try going to the chevrolet.com website and searching for a 2013 Suburban 2500 brochure and see if they have it on file.

thanks. Tried that. I have a friend in engineering so I'll call him tomorrow. maybe he can find it.

Thanks
Old March 5th, 2018, 4:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidinseattle
Not sure if this is a "if you can't beat em'. join em'" moment or a "never argue with idiots, first they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" moment. I guess we'll just call it the first choice to move away from the acrimony. Either way, I am in negotiations with several dealers and one private owner for a lightly used 2500 LT. Hopefully, I will have one under contract by the end of the week.

So, hat in hand, does anyone know if the heavy duty trailer tow package is standard on the 2012 or 2013 Burb 2500 LT? I have used my google fu and still can't figure it out.

Thanks
No it isn't standard, It is however a widely used option that is more and likely will be on any 2500 you buy. If it is a fleet 2500 then you might be out of luck. BTW, I don't think there are idiots on this board, they may not be as smart as you but I wouldn't classify anyone as a idiot. It is just a nasty name to be used as a blanket.
Old March 6th, 2018, 7:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks
I'll ignore the idiot comment.

Yes, every Suburban 2500 has the heavy duty tow package. Every one from 2007-2013. Well, even earlier than that if you go back to previous platforms.

This includes:
KC4
COOLING SYSTEM,ENGINE OIL ENG OIL CLG(KC4)
KNP
COOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTY HVY DUTY TRANS CLG SYS(KNP)

Looking at the build sheet for the 2008 model year, GM built 5,867 2500s that year, and guess how many had those two RPO codes? Yep, 5,867.

And they all have the 10.5" AA full floater rear axle, 3.73 gears, and the 6L90. Mated to the 6.0, it's just about the most bulletproof powertrain GM ever put into an SUV.

Originally Posted by sfcjones
No it isn't standard, It is however a widely used option that is more and likely will be on any 2500 you buy. If it is a fleet 2500 then you might be out of luck. BTW, I don't think there are idiots on this board, they may not be as smart as you but I wouldn't classify anyone as a idiot. It is just a nasty name to be used as a blanket.
See my reply above. GM knows every buyer of a 2500 will be using it to tow, so they all have it.

Check the codes sticker in the glove box of any '07-13 2500. You'll see those codes.

Last edited by intheburbs; March 6th, 2018 at 7:32 PM.
Old March 7th, 2018, 3:46 PM
CF Junior Member

I'll ignore the idiot comment.

Yes, every Suburban 2500 has the heavy duty tow package. Every one from 2007-2013. Well, even earlier than that if you go back to previous platforms.

This includes:
KC4
COOLING SYSTEM,ENGINE OIL ENG OIL CLG(KC4)
KNP
COOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTY HVY DUTY TRANS CLG SYS(KNP)

Looking at the build sheet for the 2008 model year, GM built 5,867 2500s that year, and guess how many had those two RPO codes? Yep, 5,867.

And they all have the 10.5" AA full floater rear axle, 3.73 gears, and the 6L90. Mated to the 6.0, it's just about the most bulletproof powertrain GM ever put into an SUV.

See my reply above. GM knows every buyer of a 2500 will be using it to tow, so they all have it.

Check the codes sticker in the glove box of any '07-13 2500. You'll see those codes.
thanks. I figured as much. I've put in a few offers on 2500s but haven't gotten to a price I am comfortable with yet. I also talked to Travis about finding me an 2009 or 2010 (for emissions reasons in my state) and converting it to a duramax powertrain. As it stands, short of finding a 2500 that works, the duramax conversion is #2 on my list and an F250 Crew with a diesel is #3. I am going to look at the Fcrew this weekend.

BTW, what kind of MPGs do you get with your 2500 and you big trailer?

PS. "idiot comment was a joke" sorry if I offended anyone.
Old March 7th, 2018, 5:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

BTW, what kind of MPGs do you get with your 2500 and you big trailer?
Abysmal. 6-7 MPG. But at least it has a 39-gallon tank, so I can at least pass a few gas stations.

​​​​​​
Old March 8th, 2018, 6:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

talk to Eric, He can sale or convert the 2500HD
Old March 22nd, 2018, 6:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Abysmal. 6-7 MPG. But at least it has a 39-gallon tank, so I can at least pass a few gas stations.

​​​​​​

intheburbs,

I wanted to close the loop on this thread. I figured out how to resolve the towing issue. I converted my Suburban into a 2018 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab with a 6.7L turbo diesel. It was a costly conversion but the results are unbelievable. You can't even tell it used to be a gasser Suburban. I mean, it looks exactly like an F350 Diesel right down to the badging.

If I see you broken down on the highway, I should have enough extra towing capacity to hook your rig up and trailer too. Seriously, although I was pissed about the answers I got on towing with my Suburban, It highlights a glaring hole in the towing ozone. Everytime I see an f150, Silverado, Expedition, Suburban etc. towing a big trailer, now I just shake my head. Probably 90% of the time, they are overloaded. The thread cost me over $70,000, but it was worth it. Cheers and stay safe.