Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

76 Chevy distributor question

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2021, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 Chevy distributor question

Have a 76 Chevy that's been sitting almost 20 years outside. So I took it upon myself to try and see if I get it running. I have no idea why I decided to do this. It had to be my love for square body Chevys . Distributor was pulled for no spark, coil was shot and it was completely seized. Ended up completely rebuilding it. The distributor won't drop in all the way! But before you tell me to Google and engine bump and long screw driver the oil pump and stuff, I noticed that I am getting a bit of resistance when I put it in and it looks like a whole bunch of 20 year old nastiness on the bottom of the shaft. Does anyone have a recommendation on anything I could pour down that shaft to help clean the old oil and gunk down there. I was wondering if I could pull the oil plug and pour a degreaser down the throat. But before I do I figured I would ask before I do something stupid.
Old September 6th, 2021, 6:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyMonster
Have a 76 Chevy that's been sitting almost 20 years outside. So I took it upon myself to try and see if I get it running. I have no idea why I decided to do this. It had to be my love for square body Chevys . Distributor was pulled for no spark, coil was shot and it was completely seized. Ended up completely rebuilding it. The distributor won't drop in all the way! But before you tell me to Google and engine bump and long screw driver the oil pump and stuff, I noticed that I am getting a bit of resistance when I put it in and it looks like a whole bunch of 20 year old nastiness on the bottom of the shaft. Does anyone have a recommendation on anything I could pour down that shaft to help clean the old oil and gunk down there. I was wondering if I could pull the oil plug and pour a degreaser down the throat. But before I do I figured I would ask before I do something stupid.
Yeah, as long as you let it set, drain it all out, then perhaps put motor oil or Marvel Mystery Oil down there. I've never used MMO, but some people swear by it for getting rid of sludge and so on.
Old September 6th, 2021, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the third time I have heard the mmo mentioned. I think I will go that route. Maybe if it sits a day it will get all the sludge out.
Old September 6th, 2021, 7:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Yeah, as long as you let it set, drain it all out, then perhaps put motor oil or Marvel Mystery Oil down there. I've never used MMO, but some people swear by it for getting rid of sludge and so on.
Yes X3 or how ever many. The distributor gear rides on the cam shaft gear. I'd also suggest with the Marvel, spray it into the distributor hole, let it soak, then go from there.