84 Suburban - Been sitting a while - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

84 Suburban - Been sitting a while

Old February 11th, 2019, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default 84 Suburban - Been sitting a while

Hey folks,

Looking for some more sounding boards on this one. I've recently acquired an 84 Suburban with the 350. It's been sitting since 2011. I got it all back together (new plugs, wires, battery, the whole shabang). It still had the original key and was so worn that it wouldn't unlock the cylinder, so replaced that as well. Now here's the problem:

When I turn the key on, I've got great power running to everything. All dashlights work, radio works, getting power to the starter, etc. However, when I turn the key to cycle the engine, I get nothing. Not even a click. I can jump the starter and it will spool up. I can't figure out what I should check next. I've even tried jumping it with another vehicle, in the hopes that it just wasn't getting enough juice....

Do I move on to replacing the starter/solenoid, or is there something more likely to be causing it that I'm just overlooking in my frustration with this thing?

Any help is appreciated!
Old February 11th, 2019, 4:30 PM
CF Monarch

Not the starter. Are you getting battery voltage to the start post on the solenoid with the key switch in start? If not, either switch may need adjusted or solenoid, with that are you jumping the solenoid across the S and battery cable post? How old is the solenoid, and do you know if it had issues with cranking before?
Old February 11th, 2019, 5:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Troubleshoot the electrical portion of the ignition switch, separate contact in Start position to trigger the starter solenoid.

Troubleshoot the neutral safety switch too.
Old February 12th, 2019, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

start with the easiest like kevin suggest and put a test light on starter relay "S" post as one turned the key to start.
Old February 12th, 2019, 11:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Also don't try to run it w/o fresh gas!
Old February 13th, 2019, 11:55 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.

Originally Posted by cterry0831 View Post
Hey folks,

Looking for some more sounding boards on this one. I've recently acquired an 84 Suburban with the 350. It's been sitting since 2011. I got it all back together (new plugs, wires, battery, the whole shabang). It still had the original key and was so worn that it wouldn't unlock the cylinder, so replaced that as well. Now here's the problem:

When I turn the key on, I've got great power running to everything. All dashlights work, radio works, getting power to the starter, etc. However, when I turn the key to cycle the engine, I get nothing. Not even a click. I can jump the starter and it will spool up. I can't figure out what I should check next. I've even tried jumping it with another vehicle, in the hopes that it just wasn't getting enough juice....

Do I move on to replacing the starter/solenoid, or is there something more likely to be causing it that I'm just overlooking in my frustration with this thing?

Any help is appreciated!
I think you need to adjust the electrical portion of the ignition switch. I had the same problem with my column. There is a rod that drives the contacts back and forth when you turn the key and it was bent. The electrical part of the switch has two slots that allow for adjustment.

Old February 13th, 2019, 12:17 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.

Have you tried to start the engine by putting the gear selector in neutral? Maybe that switch could be bad or needing adjustment. I had that problem too.

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: