Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

85 Burban oil leak

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2012, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 Burban oil leak

I have an 85 Burban with a newly (8kmiles) rebuilt 350 it sat for roughly 6 years after being rebuilt and driven for about 5k miles. I believe the front main seal is bad as there is oil leaking from behind my alt and fan. It is a small leak where I don't notice it. But when I shift into OD it shoots oil onto my headers and smoke just swallows the rear of my truck. I am wondering if there would be a quick nd easy fix or if it could be something other then my front main seal since it gets worse only in OD. I lost 3 gear and drive in 2 up to 50mph and it doesn't smoke then when I shift into OD it does them stops when i shift out of OD. Please if anyone knows anything to help I'd appreciate it very much
Old June 12th, 2012, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up remove pulley to fix front main

Originally Posted by 85chevyman
I have an 85 Burban with a newly (8kmiles) rebuilt 350 it sat for roughly 6 years after being rebuilt and driven for about 5k miles. I believe the front main seal is bad as there is oil leaking from behind my alt and fan. It is a small leak where I don't notice it. But when I shift into OD it shoots oil onto my headers and smoke just swallows the rear of my truck. I am wondering if there would be a quick and easy fix or if it could be something other then my front main seal since it gets worse only in OD. I lost 3 gear and drive in 2 up to 50mph and it doesn't smoke then when I shift into OD it does them stops when i shift out of OD. Please if anyone knows anything to help I'd appreciate it very much
I believe you remove the pulley usually with an impact wrench to fix front main.
I fixed a 6.2 Diesel once by dropping the oil pan, reshaping the front of the oil pan a bit and then installing a cheap gasket bingo wasn't the front main. I have done a rear main before wasn't hard. I would make darn sure it just isn't the oil pan and/or gasket maker most use. I use gaskets whenever possible haven't had greatest of luck with gasket maker!
Old June 12th, 2012, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

On I will look into that. Thanks a lot for the advice