Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

88 Burb Radio Help

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2013, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Burb Radio Help

So I'm looking into replacing the factory radio for my dad's '88 Suburban, with the Scottsdale trim. We call it the Great White. He's the type of guy that won't buy anything for himself, so I'm looking to do something nice. I've hooked up a few aftermarket head units and systems, but all have been relatively newer and standard size (I believe thats DIN 1.) Anyway, I would just like some information as to what my options are, and of course what it is exactly that I'm dealing with.
He's sort of a minimalists, so I'm not looking for at anything other than another standard type head when it comes to function. No need for touch screen. (He just wanted to find and salvage an old radio from another suburban that had a cassette player, and use a cassette-to-headphone jack adapter.)

But yeah, open to anything besides cutting the dash or a huge huge pricetag.
Thanks in advance
Old May 16th, 2013, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you still haven't decided which way to go then you can install anything you want under the dash if this is an option.

Here is a link to an underdash mount....

TVC104 - American International Tvc104 Underdash Radio Mounting Kit - American International

I upgraded the stereo in my '91 Suburban to a newer style radio but I already had the double DIN opening in my dash. I don't know if the '88 had that double DIN yet but if it did you can get an adapter cable off of E-Bay to plug a newer style radio into the older '88 radio wiring harness. There are several places to get a nice car stereo with an input jack for an ipod or other input device and if you have the double DIN opening it'll fit like a factory system. If you don't have that opening you should be able to find a shafted radio with a cassette player for cheap. Here is one on E-Bay that had a USB input on the face....

Pyle Car Audio PLR14MPF New in Dash Am FM MPX MP3 Shaft Style Dual **** Radio | eBay

Not a bad option as it's cheap.......

Good luck!

Mark