Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'96 Suburban intermittent radio

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2012, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Suburban intermittent radio

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hello - am newbie here. Have '96 Chevy Suburban K-1500 fully loaded. PROBLEMS: radio and radio clock cut out intermittently while driving. However, when it comes back ON, clock is STILL accurate, as though it is/has been getting power. Also, I have always had 2 big batteries under hood. Lately, they seem to lose charge quite a bit when not in use. Is there a battery IN the radio ? Thx for help. <rudyrudy1862hot@hotmail.com>
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

The radio has a wire that is connected to a 12 volt source that is always on. Does not need a battery. Sounds like you have a bad or loose connection on the wire that switches on and off with the ignition switch.
Old April 26th, 2012, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Thx for reply "Old Chevy" -- I removed dashboard and slid the radio out
w/power and antenna cables still connected. Started engine; attempted to reproduce the 'intermittent problem' by shaking/banging radio. Finally, it cut out and then would come back on, as it would periodically when driving. I then 'guessed/ascertained' that problem was/is, indeed, INSIDE radio itself.
Went to nearbuy junkyard and found a replacement (this one has a CD player in it as opposed to my original w/cassette player). Installed it, & VOILA !!
Everything works fine. Clock, radio, CD player. Have installed it and so far, all is OK. It remains to be seen if my batteries still discharge, due to a short somewhere else on vehicle. If batteries hold charge over nxt few weeks, I'll assume radio was culprit; if batteries continue losing charge, I'll need to isolate the source of that short. Thx again.
Old January 8th, 2013, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Hello, I'm experiencing the same radio issue with my 96 Tahoe. I would like to verify that the head unit of the radio was not displaying anything on the light panel. My radio stops playing and does not display the time, however if I have an aux cable connected (I put an audio inverter off of the cable that originally connected to the slave CD player) the music still plays. I wanted to verify that the same issue I am having can be fixed by replacing the head unit as you stated in your post.