Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

96 Tahoe A/C door actuator

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2009, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Tahoe A/C door actuator

Hey guys. I’m a big user of automotive forums but this is the first time I’ve joined one for my only Chevy. 1996 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 4WD
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
My issue is my A/C. In the last 2 years the A/C has left a lot to be desired. To be more precise the recirculated air door actuator or max a/c switch. The actuator does not move. I’m not sure which is the cause of the problem. Plus there is a leak of out side air coming in at the passenger’s feet. This could be the result of the actuator being stuck ½ open or a bad seal at the cowl air duct. You can hear the blower howling but there is little output. With a thermometer in the vent it will read 20 degrees below ambient temp.
Things I need help figuring out:
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1-<!--[endif]-->How to test the Max A/C switch.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2-<!--[endif]-->How to test the Recirculated Air Actuator (2 position).
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3-<!--[endif]-->The part # for the 2 position Recirculated Air Actuator.
I’m trying to answer these questions so I can be ready with needed parts or part supplier. My plan is to remove the dash to replace the actuator (if needed) and check for leaks around the duct or firewall. And possible disconnected or restricted ducts. I have to make this a weekend job since it’s my wife’s car and my spare vehicle is a non-street legal trail/rock rig. Any help is very appreciated, and I’ll gladly do a write up with pics for the forum.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things I've found out about the Reciculated Air Actuator: no after market replacement part and mine works. I contacted a few dealerships and online sales and no one has a part or part number for this actuator.

The AC is cooling with little vent out put. So, it looks like I'm going to pull the dash and check the ducts for lose connections or restrictions. While I'm in there w/ the dash out I'll blast the engine bay fire wall with my shop fan to check for leaks.

To check the Max Ac I pushed the button with my head down by the fan and watched the door move. I know to simple.